26 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Halifax
By Mike Wintermantel, August 19, 2011
"Colonial Churchyard" Marker
|Graves of Confederate general Junius Daniel, editor Abraham Hodge, United States District Judge John Sitgreaves, are 1 block northeast. — — Map (db m46231) HM|
|During North Carolina’s early history, authorities used jails to house inmates before they could be tried or have their sentences carried out. Unlike today, jails were not usually used to punish offenders. Instead, corporal punishment was the norm . . . — — Map (db m60690) HM|
|The British Army under Gen. George Cornwallis marching to Virginia defeated the local Militia at the town of Halifax in May, 1781. — — Map (db m16173) HM|
|Built in 1790s. Banquet for Lafayette held on February 27, 1825 when tavern was on its original site 900 feet northeast. — — Map (db m46233) HM|
|The portion of the tavern that remains today was built around 1790. It was moved from its original location sometime after 1838. After years as a private residence it was moved to this location in 1976.
The original Eagle Tavern operated during . . . — — Map (db m60697) HM|
|Taverns in colonial North Carolina, as in other parts of the country, were a vital part of the local economy and lifestyle. Travelers could find a place to sleep and a meal to eat as they made their way across the state. Local citizens used taverns . . . — — Map (db m60696) HM|
|Follow this ¼ mile trail to the Roanoke River and meet the men, women, and children who risked their lives to flee slavery.
“…the thought of being again made a slave, and of suffering the horrible punishment of a runaway, restrained me. I . . . — — Map (db m60699) HM|
|The citizens of Halifax constructed three jails between 1759 and 1838. The first two stood near this spot. The North Carolina General Assembly ordered the construction of the first jail, along with the stocks and a pillory, for the “detention . . . — — Map (db m60689) HM|
|A 1758 act of North Carolina colonial assembly required the court for the Northampton, Edgecombe, and Granville districts to be moved from Enfield to Halifax. On the lot in front of you, the colony constructed a new courthouse, along with a jail, . . . — — Map (db m60692) HM|
|Halifax Newspapers, such as the Roanoke Advocate and Halifax Minerva, included runaway ads, which usually offered rewards for an escaped slave’s return. Captured fugitives were often held in Halifax Jail and their owners were . . . — — Map (db m60700) HM|
|Governor, 1824–1827; Attorney General of N.C.; Congressman. His home was 400 yards west. — — Map (db m16241) HM|
|The “Halifax Resolves,” first formal sanction of American Independence, adopted in this town, april 12, 1776. — — Map (db m16174) HM|
|Secretary of War under Andrew Jackson; United States Senator from Tennessee; Florida governor; United States minister to Spain. Born here. — — Map (db m46309) HM|
|Chartered 1767. Building was erected in 1769. Joseph Montfort, "Grand Master of America," is buried there. 500 yards east. — — Map (db m46312) HM|
|A 1769 map of Halifax shows a large building on this site. This lot, along with three surrounding ones, belonged to Joseph Montfort, a man of high standing in 18th-century North Carolina. He served as Clerk of Court for Edgecomb and Halifax . . . — — Map (db m60687) HM|
|The first constitution of the independent state was adopted in Halifax on December 18, 1776. — — Map (db m46313) HM|
|The Confederate ironclad Albemarle was outfitted in Halifax with machinery and guns before sailing down river into action, 1864. — — Map (db m70528) HM|
| . . . — — Map (db m60691) HM|
|In 1793, the first Halifax church was built at this location. The Free Church was open to all denominations. Services were held until the 1850’s when congregations began to build their own churches. In 1911 the church fell in disrepair and . . . — — Map (db m60694) HM|
|The market green played an important role in the growth and development of Halifax. The town’s original plan called for the green to take up both sides of King Street. In time, however, the courthouse, jail, and other public buildings occupied the . . . — — Map (db m60693) HM|
|This Georgian style house with a gambled roof was built elsewhere about 1760 and moved here by 1880. It is named for George Owens, a prominent and prosperous Halifax merchant.
The house had many owners through the years and was occupied until . . . — — Map (db m60698) HM|
|Constructed around 1808 for a Halifax County planter named Lewis Bond, this house was originally located near Scotland Neck. In 1834, William “Billy” Ruffin Smith Sr. and his wife Sarah, or “Sally” bought it. Smith, a county . . . — — Map (db m60688) HM|
|Constructed in 1760, this building was given the name “Tap Room” by twentieth-century historians. It has had many names and alterations in the past, including “Pope’s Hotel,” which had an adjoining building containing 19 . . . — — Map (db m60695) HM|
|President Washington was a visitor in the town of Halifax, on April 16-17, 1791. — — Map (db m16177) HM|
|Lived here. Revolutionary hero, member Federal Convention, governor, envoy to France, "Father of the University." — — Map (db m46321) HM|
|Statesman of revolutionary era, leading champion of democracy in N. C. His home, “The Grove,” stood 400 yards west. — — Map (db m16225) HM|