Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hamilton, Ohio Historical Markers

 
A Pioneer Family Marker & Statue image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2009
A Pioneer Family Marker & Statue
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — A Pioneer Family
The Stewart family lived constantly in Butler County for over 200 years. 1802 to Present Gift to City of Hamilton by: John Antenen Stewart, M.D. Marian Vail Stewart, M.T. September 1, 2002 — Map (db m73637) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 28-9 — Abraham Lincoln's 1859 Hamilton Speech
Abraham Lincoln spoke from the rear of a Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton Railroad passenger train on Saturday September 17, 1859, to about 1000 people at South Fourth and Ludlow streets (about 785 feet south of here). Lincoln, elected president of the . . . — Map (db m122279) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Beckett Homesite
On this site stood a square two-story brick farmhouse occupied by Wiiliam Bebb and built in 1835. After he was elected nineteenth Governor of Ohio, William Bebb sold his house in 1848 to William Beckett, founder of Beckett Paper Company, who . . . — Map (db m116670) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 2-9 — Bethel Chapel 1815- 1873Historic Bethel Presbyterian Cemetery
William Holmes McGuffey, author of the Eclectic Series of Readers, was ordained a Presbyterian minister in a log meeting house on this site in 1829. The ordination was performed by Robert Bishop, President of Miami University, and other ministers . . . — Map (db m107745) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 31-9 — Bunker Hill / Dog Town
Bunker Hill The Millville, Reilly and Milton Turnpike brought prosperity to the village now renamed Bunker Hill. School House No. 10 stood nearby from 1849-1857. By 1860 clothing manufacturing was the major business here. A Post Office was . . . — Map (db m107801) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 22-9 — Butler County Courthouse
Side A: Butler County was created on March 24, 1803, about three weeks after Ohio became a state. Hamilton won the competition for the county seat, thanks to Israel Ludlow, Hamilton's founder. Ludlow's donation of the public square secured . . . — Map (db m28546) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 3-9 — Champion Hamilton Mill
Side A: The Champion Coated Paper Company began production here April 15, 1894, with nine employees under the direction of Peter G. Thomson (1851-1931), a Cincinnati businessman, who had incorporated the firm in November 1893. Thomson, . . . — Map (db m28547) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Cosmopolitan No. 4
110 yards from the back of this marker on the present southeast corner of 4th and Butler Streets stood the Cosmopolitan Arms Company, founded by Edward Gwyn and Abner C. Campbell, where carbines for the Union Army were manufactured during the Civil . . . — Map (db m122283) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Earliest Industry
Mills were essential in the settlers' struggle to convert their land from a debt to an asset. Financial survival depended on access to grist mills, saw mills and carding mills - the trading complexes and community centers on the Ohio frontier. . . . — Map (db m73595) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 39-9 — Fannie Hurst - Author, Humanitarian and Advocate
Author Side

Raised and educated in St. Louis, author Fannie Hurst (1885-1968) was born in Hamilton at 918 Central Avenue, the home of her maternal grandparents. She was the daughter of Rose Koppel and Samuel Hurst. Already a writer as a . . . — Map (db m122411) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Flatboats and Early Trade
Because water was the most efficient way to transport goods, most early Ohio roads led to a navigable stream, such as the Great Miami River. Through the 1820s, much of Butler County's abundant agriculture output found its way to market on . . . — Map (db m73593) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Flood & Recovery
March 25, 1913, a record Great Miami River flood hit Hamilton, claiming more than 200 lives, leaving about 10,000 homeless and causing more than $10 million in property damage. Local survivors helped create the Miami Conservancy District - a . . . — Map (db m73594) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — C9 — Fort Hamilton
Built by General St. Clair in 1791, on his campaign against the Indians. It was enlarged in 1792 and used by General Wayne in 1793, on his march to Fallen Timbers. — Map (db m30661) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Founding of Fort Hamilton
On this spot in the year of our Lord 1791 General Arthur St. Clair founded Fort Hamilton. Here, in 1793 General Anthony Wayne organized his expedition against the Indians which gave to this Republic five great states. Here our . . . — Map (db m30657) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — French Exploration
Pierre-Joseph Celron, sieur de Bienville, with 200 to 250 French soldiers and some Indians, was sent in 1749 to renew and strengthen France's claim to the Ohio country and drive out the British. During navigation of the Allegheny, Ohio and Great . . . — Map (db m73591) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Gen. Anthony WayneFive Mile Spring — On the Trail, North of Fort Hamilton
Gen. Anthony Wayne and his men camped here at Five Mile Spring September 1793 — Map (db m97797) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
To Honor Our Fathers The Grand Army Of the Republic [Dedicated] May 30, 1941 — Map (db m73636) WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Hamilton
Immortalized by William Dean Howells in his book "A Boy's Town" — Map (db m73627) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Hamilton Civil War Memorial
Erected     A.D. 1936 by Veterans Memorial Association In honor of our soldier dead May they rest in peace G.A.R.     U.S.W.V. — Map (db m122558) WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Hamilton Hydraulic
The privately developed Hamilton Hydraulic opened Jan. 27, 1845, providing cheap, reliable water power and starting Hamilton's era of industrial growth and diversification. Water was diverted into the hydraulic canal system from the Great Miami . . . — Map (db m73598) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Heritage Hall
Heritage Hall features rotating historical exhibits highlighting Hamilton's rich industrial and business heritage. It is the home of the Robert McCloskey Museum which honors the famous children's author and artist. Three of his books reflect his . . . — Map (db m73633) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — High-Main Street Bridge
The filled Spandrel concrete arch bridge previously located at this crossing was constructed by A.J. Yawger & Company in 1914 after the Flood of 1913. It was the fourth structure to cross the Great Miami River at this location. The bridge . . . — Map (db m73596) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 37-9 — Lane Public Library / Clark Lane
Side A

Clark Lane built this library in 1866 and donated it to the people of Hamilton two years later. The 1913 Great Miami River flood catastrophe damaged much of the building and many of its books and records. The refurbished library . . . — Map (db m122413) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 7-9 — Lane-Hooven House
Side A: James Elrick, a local carpenter, built the Lane-Hooven House in 1863 for Clark Lane (1823-1907), a Hamilton industrialist and philanthropist. Lane, who first came to the area at age twenty-one as a blacksmith, resided in the house for . . . — Map (db m28775) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Lentil Park
This park was established by the Hamilton Community Foundation on land owned by the city. It was one of several major legacy gifts to Hamilton by the Foundation in celebration of its 50th Anniversary. The Foundation wished to honor Hamilton's . . . — Map (db m73638) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Native American Trail
The site for Fort Hamilton was chosen because of a ford on the Great Miami River at the approximate site of the High - Main Street Bridge. That shallow crossing was believed to have been on an ancient Indian trail known as the Wabash Trail. The . . . — Map (db m73615) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Old Log Building
This log building, which was erected while this part of the country was still a wilderness, is a silent tribute to the courageous and hardy Americans who preceded you who read this. This tribute symbolizes the strength and character of which we are . . . — Map (db m30660) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 10-9 — Rossville Historic District
Side A: Rossville was settled in April 1801 shortly after the U.S. Government initiated land sales west of the Great Miami River. Its original proprietors--John Sutherland, Henry Brown, Jacob Burnet, James Smith and William Ruffin--named . . . — Map (db m28790) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Site of Fort Hamilton
Fort Hamilton was completed Sept. 30, 1791, and occupied by the U. S. Army commanded by Gen. Arthur St. Clair. The supply base was the first in a chain of outposts north of Cincinnati (Fort Washington) in the Northwest Territory. The log . . . — Map (db m73600) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 25-9 — Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument"Victory, the Jewel of the Soul"
Side A: Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument The Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument was planned and promoted by Butler County Civil War veterans and financed by a county levy in 1899. The monument, built of Indiana Limestone, is . . . — Map (db m30705) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Symmes MonumentHollow Earth Theory
- “I declare the earth is hollow and habitable within,” said John Cleves Symmes in summarizing his “Theory of Concentric Spheres and Solar Voids” to a doubting scientific world in the early 1820’s. His theory is commemorated . . . — Map (db m116622) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The Dream of Hamiltonia
Relaxing by the Great Miami, Hamiltonia dreams. She dreams of children presenting her with the Helmet of Hope, a symbol for a bright future. - Norikazu T. Tsuchiya, Sculptor — Map (db m73597) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The High-Main Street Bridge
. . . — Map (db m73624) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The Hollow Earth MonumentGrave of Capt. John Cleve Symmes
Capt. John Cleves Symmes as a philosopher, and the originator of ‘Symmes Theory of Concentric Spheres and Polar voids.’ He contended that the Earth is hollow and habitable within.

Capt. John C. Symmes a Native of New . . . — Map (db m116618) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 1-9 — The Miami Canal
Side A

The dimensions of the canal channel were 26 feet wide at the bottom and 40 feet wide at the top. The depth of the canal averaged four and one-half feet. The 12 locks were 80 feet long with 14-foot wide interior chambers which could . . . — Map (db m122419) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — The Old Well
of the original Fort Hamilton was located 31 feet west of this marker In memory of Carl E. Margedant — Map (db m30662) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Trinity Episcopal Church
An Episcopal Congregation was first established in Hamilton in 1823 as part of a missionary movement under Bishop Philander Chase who later became the founder of Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. The present building was designed by Cincinnati . . . — Map (db m122284) HM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Veterans Memorial
May all who pause and are refreshed here reflect on those who went forth from their homes to defend American freedom ———————— This fountain, erected 1949, was conceived and sponsored by the . . . — Map (db m73622) WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — Veterans Memorial
In honor of all veterans in times of peace and war The patriots blood is the seed of the freedom tree -Thomas Campbell — Map (db m103416) WM
Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 36-9 — Warren Gard
Side A

Warren Gard (1873-1929), son of Samuel Z. Gard and Mary Duke, was born in Hamilton, Ohio. He established his practice in Hamilton after graduating from Cincinnati Law School and being admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1894. Gard served as . . . — Map (db m122416) HM

Ohio (Butler County), Hamilton — 12-9 — William Dean Howells
Author William Dean Howells (1837-1920) spent his boyhood from 1840 to 1848 in Hamilton. Called the "Dean of American Letters," Howells wrote 35 novels, 35 plays, 34 miscellaneous books, 6 books of literary criticism, 4 books of poetry, and . . . — Map (db m28772) HM

41 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.