Railroad came through in 1854. Became a shoemaking center for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Town was planned in the 1860's, and by early twentieth century was known as "Strawberry Capital of America." — — Map (db m92122) HM
Friendship Circle, designed by Edward Avery McIlhenny, Tabasco entrepreneur and naturalist, serves as the focus of a landscape plan created for the Art Deco buildings that transformed a family farm into a modern college campus between 1939 nd 1941. . . . — — Map (db m102968) HM
First service: March 12, 1876, by Bishop Joseph Wilmer. Rev. Herman Duncan first Rector. Land donated by C.E. Cate. Anonymous N.Y. churchwoman benefactor. Dedicated 1888 in memory of Mertie A. Cate. — — Map (db m86399) HM
Original site of Hammond Junior College, predecessor of Southeastern La. Univ. Funded by S. Tangipahoa tax. Opened Sept. 14, 1925 w/40 students and a faculty of 5. Linus A. Sims was the first president. — — Map (db m49772) HM
This tree grew from a seed of a walnut tree at Geo. Washington's home at Mt. Vernon.
Planted February 22, 1932 by the American Legion Auxiliary and Boy Scouts of Hammond in celebration of Washington's bicentennial. Was transplanted in this . . . — — Map (db m49776) HM
In 1927 Hammond Jr. College bought the 15 acre Hunter Leake Estate at the N. end of Pine. An enlarged servants' bldg. provided classrooms, a library, and labs. In 1928 H. J. C. became Southeastern Louisiana College. — — Map (db m102965) HM
The Florida Parishes of Louisiana were not a part of the Louisiana Purchase. Due to its strategic significance the region remained a part of the Spanish Empire. In 1810 residents initiated an armed insurrection known as the West Florida Revolt. . . . — — Map (db m108900) HM