Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hanover, New Mexico Historical Markers

 
Emory Pass Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, November 5, 2010
Emory Pass Marker
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Emory Pass
Named in honor of Lt. W.H. Emory, who passed by here with the Army of the West in 1846. His report to the U.S. Government is the earliest scientific account of this region which then belonged to Mexico. Elev. 8228 — Map (db m38210) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Fort Bayard - 1866-1900 Fort Bayard National Cemetery
One of the several posts created on the Apache frontier, Fort Bayard protected the Pinos Altos mining district. Company B of the black 125th Infantry served here, as did Lt. John J. Pershing. In 1900 the fort became a military hospital, and today . . . — Map (db m38226) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Kneeling Nun
Most famous of the many historic landmarks in the Black Range country is the Kneeling Nun. So named for its resemblance to a nun kneeling in prayer before a great altar. Many legends have grown up around the giant monolith which rests near the . . . — Map (db m38228) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Ladies Auxiliary of Local 890 Mine Mill & Smelter (1951-1952) —
After eight failed negotiating sessions and the expiration of their labor contract, Mexican-American workers at nearby Empire Zinc mine struck for wage and benefit equality. When an injunction prohibited union members from picketing, the women - . . . — Map (db m38229) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Mimbres Valley
People have lived in the Mimbres Valley since at least 2000 B.C. and probably earlier. Small villages of farmers lived in pithouses—underground single-family structures—by A.D 200. Around A.D. 1000, people began erecting pueblos, similar . . . — Map (db m121824) HM
New Mexico (Grant County), Hanover — Santa Rita Copper Mines
Copper has been mined here since 1804. For five years, development by Francisco Manuel Elguea resulted in some 6,000,000 pounds of copper being transported annually to Mexico City by mule train. Brief periods of activity were halted by Apache . . . — Map (db m38216) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement