Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hartsville, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Butler School image, Touch for more information
By Cindy Bullard, November 9, 2010
Butler School
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-35 — Butler School
On Sixth Street just from Cooley Street, on the left when traveling south.
Butler School, located on this site since 1921, was the second public school to serve Hartsville's black community and operated for over sixty years. Known as the Darlington Co. Training School until 1939, it was renamed for Rev. Henry H. Butler, . . . — Map (db m38137) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-29 — Carolina Fiber Co. / Sonoco Products Company
On E. Home Ave. at 2nd Street, on the left when traveling east on E. Home Ave..
Carolina Fiber Co. One of the first methods for producing paper from native pine wood pulp was developed by J. L. Coker, Jr. As a result, he with Maj. J. L. Coker and C. J. Woodruff formed the Carolina Fiber company, March 20, 1890, to . . . — Map (db m38132) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-65 — Coker's Pedigreed Seed Company /Coker Experimental Farms
On South Fourth Street near South Carolina Highway 15, on the left when traveling east.
(Front) This company, incorporated in 1914 by David R. Coker (1870-1938), grew out of his pioneering work breeding plants and developing high-quality seeds. At first focusing on helping Southern farmers grow superior upland cotton, it later . . . — Map (db m53976) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-46 — Damascus Methodist Church
On E. Home Ave. at Damascus Church Road, on the right when traveling east on E. Home Ave..
The church organized as early as 1817 and known as "Wright's Meeting House, Black Creek" was the first Methodist congregation in the area. James D. Wright, an elder who was appointed "Exhorter" in 1826, preached here until his death in 1862. . . . — Map (db m38139) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-28 — David Robert Coker 1870-1938
On E. Home Ave., on the right when traveling east.
Known world-wide for developing new varieties and for perfecting superior strains of agricultural crops (including cotton), Coker, for years was pres. Pedigreed Seed Co., chartered 1918. He was intendant (mayor) of Hartsville 1900-1901; member . . . — Map (db m38131) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-31 — Eastern Carolina Silver Company
On E. Home Ave. at 2nd Street, on the right when traveling east on E. Home Ave..
This silver co., chartered March 5, 1907, manufactured and sold coffee and tea sets, bread trays, bowls, candelabra, and cups. J. L. Coker served as pres., W. F. Smith as vice pres., and C. W. Coker as sec. & treas. By 1908 the company had begun to . . . — Map (db m38133) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-34 — First Baptist Church
On E. Home Ave. just from 5th Street, on the left when traveling east.
Side A Members of New Providence and Gum Branch Baptist churches under John L. Hart's leadership began Hartsville Baptist, the first church in town, 16 November 1850. A union Sunday school met on the site as early as July 1849. John L. Hart . . . — Map (db m38136) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-70 — Hartsville Graded School / Mt. Pisgah Nursery School
On S 6th Street near Marion Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Hartsville Graded School The first public school for the black children of Hartsville and vicinity operated on this site from about 1900 to 1921. It was renamed Darlington County Training School in 1918. A new school was built on 6th St. south . . . — Map (db m60604) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-42 — Hartsville Oil Mill
On Fifth Street just from Marlboro Avenue, on the left when traveling south.
Side A The Hartsville Oil Mill, founded in 1900 by J.L. Coker, D.R. Coker, and J.J. Lawton, stood here until 1993. A cotton oil mill, it crushed cottonseed to produce cooking oil; meal and cake for feed and fertilizer; and lint for stuffing . . . — Map (db m38138) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — Hartsville Veterans Monument
On Cargill Street.
Monument Honoring World War I, World War II, Korea, Vietnam and Persian Gulf Veterans. — Map (db m60608) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-8 — Jacob Kelley House
On Kelleytown Road, on the left when traveling west.
This house, home of Jacob Kelley (1780-1874), was used as a Union headquarters on March 2-3, 1865 by Major-General John E. Smith, Commander of the Third Division, Fifteenth Army Corps. During the encampment by Federal forces, the mills near Kelley . . . — Map (db m38123) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-27 — James Lide Coker
On E. Home Ave., on the left when traveling east.
Side A James L. Coker (1837-1918) came here from Society Hill ca. 1858 as a planter. While serving in the Civil War as a captain in Co. E, 6th Regiment SC Volunteers, he was seriously wounded. Promoted to major in 1864, he was a member of . . . — Map (db m38129) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-23 — John L. Hart / John Hart House (#1)
On E. Home Ave. just from N. 5th Street, on the left when traveling east.
John L. Hart In 1845, John Lide Hart (1825-1864) bought a 491-acre plantation here. Along what is now Home Avenue, he built a carriage factory, a store, a steam-powered sawmill and grist-mill, and houses for himself and his workers. Hart also . . . — Map (db m38127) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-17 — Lower Fork Of Lynches Creek Baptist Church / Gum Branch Church
On Clyde Rd., on the left when traveling north.
Lower Fork Of Lynches Creek Baptist Church This church, which probably evolved from a branch meeting house built nearby in 1770 by First Lynches Creek Church, was constituted in 1789; Joshua Palmer became minister in the same year. The church . . . — Map (db m38125) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-10 — Thomas E. Hart House
On W. Carolina Avenue.
This house was the residence of Captain Thomas Edwards Hart, who settled on these lands in 1817, and for whom Hartsville was named. He was a Justice of the Peace, Chairman of the Board of Free Schools, planter, merchant, and was appointed first . . . — Map (db m38124) HM
South Carolina (Darlington County), Hartsville — 16-32 — Welsh Neck High School / Coker College
On E. Home Ave., on the right when traveling east.
Welsh Neck High School The Welsh Neck Baptist Association initiated this institution as a coeducational boarding school. It opened Sept. 17, 1894, through the generosity of Maj. James Lide Coker, Civil War veteran, local industrialist, and the . . . — Map (db m38134) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.