Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Heathsville, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Freedom for Slaves of Robert Carter III Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, November 5, 2016
Freedom for Slaves of Robert Carter III Marker
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — O-73 — Freedom for Slaves of Robert Carter III
On 5 Sept. 1791, Robert Carter III (1728-1804), one of the wealthiest men in the United States, filed a deed of manumission at the Northumberland County Courthouse. This document eventually freed more than 500 enslaved African Americans owned by . . . — Map (db m99410) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — O-65 — John Heath
John Heath was born on 8 May 1758 in Northumberland County. He attended William & Mary College and on 5 Dec. 1776, he and four of his classmates founded Phi Beta Kappa, a prestigious undergraduate honors organization. He became its first president. . . . — Map (db m22550) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — Northumberland County Confederate Monument
In memory of the soldiers of Northumberland who gave their lives for the cause of their native state and the South. This monument is erected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Northumberland County Capt. R. H. Hall. . . . — Map (db m76413) WM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — Northumberland Courthouse Square
This site first patented in 1663 was the site of the first courthouse built c.1681. The present courthouse built in 1851 is the third on this site. — Map (db m76414) HM WM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — O-60 — Rice’s Hotel, Hughlett’s Tavern
Originally known as Hughlett’s Tavern, this building, located behind the courthouse, served visitors to court for more than 150 years. John Hughlett erected the original portion of the tavern before 1795. Griffin H. Foushee, who purchased it in . . . — Map (db m22709) HM
Virginia (Northumberland County), Heathsville — O-49 — St. Stephen’s Parish
Formed in 1653 as Chickacone Parish and renamed Fairfield in 1664. The upper part was known locally as Bowtracy Parish. When St. Stephen’s Parish was formed in 1698, Fairfield became its lower part and Bowtracy its upper part. — Map (db m22706) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement