Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hendersonville, North Carolina Historical Markers

 
122 N. Main Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, May 23, 2010
122 N. Main Marker
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 122 N. Main — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
ca. 1920 Tenants of this building have been Beck Hardware, Court House Café, City Café, C & D Music Shop and Elizabeth of Carolina Woman's Wear. For more than 30 years the Justice of the Peace office was upstairs. — Map (db m33034) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 202 - 206 N. Main — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
ca. 1920 Used as a tin shop in the 1920s, the Blue Bird and Carson Ice Cream Companies operated here in 1940s and 1950s. Sinclair Office Supply occupied the building for more than 36 years. — Map (db m33053) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 215 N. Main — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
1961 Built by Daniel C. Barber, Jr., this building was modeled after the Western Auto Store in the Charlottetown Mall in Charolette and was the first pre-stressed concrete on Main Street. The Barber Family ran the Western Auto Store and . . . — Map (db m33036) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 219 - 221 N. Main — 1962 — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
Built by Norman Farnsworth, this building filled the last vacant lot on Main Street. Tenants of the two-storefront building have been Fred Toms Furniture Outlet, credit & financial companies, and the Added Touch gift shop. Western Auto . . . — Map (db m33056) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 226-232 N. Main — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
ca. 1920 Built originally as an auto garage, this building served as a bowling alley in the 1930s. Later tenants were O'Dell & Gossett Furniture Co., Gosset Furniture Co., and Kalin Furniture Co. — Map (db m33080) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 300 N. Main — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
ca. 1896 Tenants of this three storefront building have been Hendersonville Hardware from 1915 through the 1920s, McFarlan Food Shop, Daniel's Furniture Co., and Sherman's Sporting Goods Store. The Art Moderne facade was added in the . . . — Map (db m33100) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 344 N. Main — Hendersonville, N.C.
ca. 1920 Tenants of this building have been Florida Fruit Market, J.C. Penny,Efird's Department Store and Jack Schulman's "Can Do - Will Do." — Map (db m33153) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — 412-414 N. Main — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
ca.1920 Originally a brick facade, the Pickwick lunches & billiards was here from 1937 until 1955. Rosenberg's Men's Wear and Wade's Shoes shared the building in the late 1950s. Mac's Men's Wear operated here from 1960 until 2007. . . . — Map (db m33641) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Citizens National Bank — 1921
Built as a bank at a cost of $125,000, it operated until 11.20.1930 when it closed. Reopened in 1936 by State Trust Co., later Northwestern Bank, then Home Bank & Trust, then Bank of N.C. The McClintock clock was added in 1927. Designed by . . . — Map (db m33048) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Civil War
In Honor of The Citizens of Henderson County who served in the Union Army during the Civil War for the Preservation of The United States of America and in Gratitude to their families. — Map (db m20445) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Clarke Hardware Building — ca. 1909 — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
Built by W.A. Smith and Henry Jordon at the cost of $12,000. Tenants of the three storefronts have been Clarke Hardware, Bland Hardware, Gregg Bros. Hardware and for 65 years Houston Furniture Company. The first gasoline pump on Main Street . . . — Map (db m34292) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Cole Bank Building — ca 1880 — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
Built at a cost of $5,000, this building housed the first bank in Hendersonville, the George H.P. Cole Bank. It served as the post office from 1905-14, then Rose Pharmacy for many years. First telephone exchange was upstairs. — Map (db m35149) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Commercial Bank Building — ca. 1905 — (Hendersonville, N.C .)
Commercial Bank, the town's second occupied the northern portion of the building until merging with First National Bank. The Wanteska Trust & Banking Company operated here from 1909 to 1919. Other tenanta have been La Vouge Hat Shop, . . . — Map (db m36043) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Dotson Store Building — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
ca.1895 During the 1920s, W.F. Dotson ran a harness shop and shoe store in the building. Later tenants have been City Transfer & Furniture Exchange, Cal's Home & Auto Supply and The Closet, woman's apparel. Miss Kate Dotson taught music . . . — Map (db m33240) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Ewbank & Ewbank Building — 1923
Built by Ernest Lucas Ewbank and sons Frank and Harry, this building served as the Ewbank family's insurance and real estate business and other offices until 2004. Designed by prominent local architect Erle Stillwell. — Map (db m33478) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — First Bank and Trust Co. — 1922
Built as a bank, it operated until 11.20.1930 when it closed. Reorganized by local investors, it reopened 2 weeks later as State Trust Co., merged later with Northwestern Bank, then First Union Bank until 1998. Designed by prominent architect . . . — Map (db m33496) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Hendersonville Gulf War Memorial
In Honor of the Citizens of Henderson County who served their country in the Gulf War and in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and on Terrorism at home and abroad and for the sacrifices of their families. — Map (db m20453) WM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Hendersonville High School — Established 1901 — "Dedicated to the Sanctity of Child Personality"
The Judson College Building (now demolished) at the corner of Fleming Street and Third Avenue served as the first Hendersonville High School. The high school was later located in the former Noterman house at what is now Boyd Park between Main . . . — Map (db m32154) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Hendersonville Vietnam Memorial
In memory of those who served, especially to those who gave all donated by those who still care. Designed by Jerry Gordon Feb. 8, 1947 - Oct. 4, 1995 — Map (db m20450) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Hendersonville War Memorial
In memory of those who served Spanish American War World War I World War II Korea Vietnam Grenada, Lebanon, Panama Persian Gulf, Iraq, Afghanistan — Map (db m20454) WM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — P 82 — Howard Gap Road
Route used by Indians & settlers in crossing the Blue Ridge. Named for Capt. Thomas Howard, 1776 militia leader. — Map (db m12384) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — J. C. Penny Building — ca. 1939 — Hendersonville, N.C,
J.C.Penny's built and occupied this building for over 45 years. From 1893 until 1925 Hendersonville's Town Hall and Opera house stood on this location. Romanesque in architure, the building housed all city services and a 400 seat auditorium. — Map (db m35455) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — P 43 — Judson College
Baptist. Chartered in 1861 as Judson Female College; later coeducational. Operated 1882-1892 in building which stood three blocks S.W. — Map (db m12418) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Justus Pharmacy — ca. 1900
Built and operated as a pharmacy by Dr. William Hicks Justus whose son Fred ran the business until 1957. The pharmacy was then operated by the Beck Family until 1994. Home to the first soda fountain in Hendersonville. — Map (db m33531) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Kirk Building — 1925 — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
Built by Dr. William Redin Kirk, tenants of the three storefronts have been Branstetter Shoes,Holley-Swofford Shoes, The China Shop and Emory's Dad & Lad Shop. Bert Boyd, local philanthropist, lived upstairs for over 17 years. Designed by . . . — Map (db m33715) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Korean War
Korean War 6-25-50 7-27-53 "Freedom is not Free" — Map (db m20449) WM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Nuckolls Building — ca. 1945 — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
Built by H.A. Nuckolls, tenants have been Starnes Paint & Wallpaper, Nu Better Foods, Farnsworth Furniture and Sherwood's Restaurant. On this corner in 1842 the town's first hotel, the Ripley House, opened as a stagecoach stop. Over the years . . . — Map (db m34861) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Queen Theater — ca. 1915
Built originally for retail, this building was redesigned into a theater in 1915 by prominent local architect Erle Stillwell. The Neo-Classical building served as the Queen, then the State, then the Fox until the early 1960s. — Map (db m33854) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Revolutionary Soldiers
In Honor of Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Henderson County William Capps • John Peter Corn William Senter • Joseoh Henry James Johnson • Andrew Miller Samuel King • Abraham Huymendall James Brittaim • Jesse Richman Elljah . . . — Map (db m20444) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Ripley - Shepherd Building — ca. 1847
(Lower Plaque) Built by Col. Valentine Ripley, early businessman, this is one of the first brick structures in Hendersonville. Early uses were a general store, post office and Confederate commissary under Major Noe. M.M. Shepherd . . . — Map (db m34553) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Seventh Avenue Depot Historic District
This district portrays a cohesive grouping of commercial, residential and transportation related structures typical of late 19th and early 20th century development. The first depot, established with train service in 1879, was replaced with the . . . — Map (db m32290) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — Syndicate Building — ca. 1909 — (Hendersonville, N.C.)
Tenants of this two storefront building have been Maxwell Brown's Fancy Groceries, Mitchell's Grocery, Jack Schulman's Clothing, and Freeze Drug Co. The Woodmen of the World Hall was upstairs. — Map (db m33957) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — The Inn on Church
Originally built in 1919 as the Aloah Hotel, the three story building reflects the Classical Revival style popular in the 1920's. The last surviving example of the many hotels once in this part of Hendersonville, it also operated as the Carson Hotel . . . — Map (db m12519) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — P 65 — Wolfe's Angel
Marble statue from the Asheville shop of W.O.Wolfe. Inspired title of son Thomas Wolfe's Look Homeward Angel. Stands 150 feet south. — Map (db m12421) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — World War I
In Honor of The Citizens of Henderson County who served in World War I and for the sacrifices of their families. — Map (db m20447) HM
North Carolina (Henderson County), Hendersonville — World War II
In Honor of the Citizens of Henderson County who served in World War II and for the sacrifices of their families. — Map (db m20448) HM

36 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.