Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
"Robbers Row" Marker, Port Royal Sound visible in background image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, 2009
"Robbers Row" Marker, Port Royal Sound visible in background
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-6 — "Robbers Row"
After the occupation of Hilton Head, a civilian town grew up to serve the needs of the large Union base and its garrison here. The town boasted a hotel, a theater, 2 newspapers, and numerous stores, centering along a street, officially . . . — Map (db m16550) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — African Methodist Episcopal Church Beginnings
Early A.M.E. Missionaries to South Carolina, Rev. James H.A. Johnson and Rev. James A. Handy, arrived at Hilton Head on the Steamship Arago at 3:18 p.m. Friday, May 12, 1865. Rev. James Lynch, also an A.M.E. Missionary, shared entertainment . . . — Map (db m104498) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-7 — Battle of Port Royal
A decisive battle in the Civil War took place here on Nov. 7, 1861, when 18 Union warships with about 55 supporting craft led by Adm. S.E. DuPont bombarded for 4½ hours the Confederate forces in Fort Walker on this shore and . . . — Map (db m16504) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Black Troops on Hilton Head
The first black troops in the Union Army enlisted on Hilton Head Island in May 1862. Initially, men who escaped plantations and slavery were reluctant to join the army. They did not want to leave their families and new financial opportunities and . . . — Map (db m105295) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Charlie Simmons, Sr."Mr. Transportation" 1905~2005
Before the Island's first bridge, Charlie Simmons, Sr., became known as "Mr. Transportation" amoung the local community, which was made up of descendants of freed slaves following the Civil War. Until the late 1920's sailboats were the primary . . . — Map (db m41054) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-42 — Cherry Hill School
(Front) This one-room frame school, built ca. 1937, was the first separate school building constructed for African-American students on Hilton Head Island. It replaced an earlier Cherry Hill School, which had held its classes in personage of St. . . . — Map (db m104496) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — First African Baptist Church
Oldest Baptist church on Hilton Head Island Organized August 17, 1862 in the town of Mitchelville with 120 members Building was moved to present location later and rebuilt in 1966 Rededicated October 30, 1988 Rev. C.W. Aiken, Pastor . . . — Map (db m104497) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-37 — First African Baptist Church
(front) This church, organized in 1862, was first located in the town of Mitchelville, a freedman’s village established on Hilton Head by the United States Army. Rev. Abraham Murchinson, its first pastor, was a former slave. The . . . — Map (db m104580) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-34 — Fort Howell
(Front ) This Civil War fort, named for Gen. Joshua Blackwood Howell (1806-1864), was built by the U.S. Army to defend Hilton Head Island and the nearby freedmen’s village of Mitchelville from potential Confederate raids or . . . — Map (db m49841) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Fort Howell - 1864
An excellent example of the defensive earthworks common to the civil War era, Fort Howell was constructed by Union Forces occupying Hilton Head Island and was one of the final fortifications to be built during the war. The men of the 32nd U.S. . . . — Map (db m6801) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-8 — Fort Sherman
Completed in 1862, this large earth fort was designed to defend the great Union blockade base on Hilton Head against Confederate land attack. Named after the first Union commander here, Gen. Thomas W. Sherman, the fort consists of two miles of . . . — Map (db m15949) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-9 — Fort Walker
Hastily built in 1861 to protect the S.C. coast against Union attack, Fort Walker, commanded by Col. William C. Heyward, bore the brunt of the Union attack on November 7, 1861, when after 4½ hours, with only 3 guns left serviceable and . . . — Map (db m16519) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Forts of the Civil War Era
Fort Howell is typical of the earthen forts constructed during the Civil War by both Confederates and Union Armies. The change from earlier brick and stone masonry forts was the result of advances in weaponry that occurred as the Civil War . . . — Map (db m131833) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — General Howell / Captain Suter
General Joshua Blackwood Howell 1806-1864 Fort Howell is named for General Joshua Blackwood Howell of Pennsylvania, who commanded the Hilton Head District, Department of the South, United States Army, from February through April, 1864. . . . — Map (db m131835) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-11 — Hilton Head
A prominent landmark for mariners since the voyages of the early Spanish explorers, this headland was known to the English as Hilton Head after the voyage in 1663 of Captain William Hilton which led to their first permanent settlement in . . . — Map (db m16231) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Hilton Head Island
This marker has been erected as a lasting tribute to the following men who envisioned Hilton Head Island as a place where man could commune with Nature and the Forest and all things that dwell therein. These men determined that no . . . — Map (db m104507)
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Hilton Head Island Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to all veterans who have served their country honorably, and have helped preserve the freedoms that we enjoy in this great country. From A Grateful Nation — Map (db m7015) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — History Of The Dolphin Head Area(Hilton Head Island)
(Left column) ¤ 15,000 to 4,000 Years Ago: The    rising sea level flooded the deep basin    now known as Port Royal Sound. ¤ 1531: Spanish explorers Francisco    Gordillo and Pedro de Quexos sailed    into Port Royal . . . — Map (db m63445) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Mitchelville and Abolitionists
Interest in the freedom seekers of Mitchelville and the surrounding areas led to an outpouring of assistance from Northern missionaries and abolitionists. They organized and sent aid and teachers. Newspaper reporters came to document conditions . . . — Map (db m105263) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Mitchelville Building Sites
The Maps and Pictures below identify the approximate locations of roads and buildings that were in Mitchelville circa 1862-1868.The Town of Mitchelville had praise houses, stores, schools and numerous homes. Unfortunately no physical remains of . . . — Map (db m105156) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-23 — Mitchelville Site
In 1862, after Hilton Head's fall to Union forces in 1861, this town, planned for the area's former slaves and named for General Ormsby M. Mitchel, began. — Map (db m6783) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-55 — Queen Chapel A.M.E. Church
(front) The congregation of Queen Chapel can trace its roots to May 1865 when A.M.E. missionaries Rev. R.H. Cain, Rev. James H.A. Johnson and James A. Handy arrived on Hilton Head Island. They visited the Freedman’s town of Mitchelville . . . — Map (db m104583) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Reconnecting with Family
Reuniting with family was one of the first concerns of African slaves who escaped to Hilton Head Island. Slavery split up families. Owners could sell family members for profit or punishment. On Hilton Head Island, and places where freedom seekers . . . — Map (db m105209) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Religion in Mitchelville/School in Mitchelville
Religion in Mitchelville Before Mitchelville was established, African slaves on the island congregated at impromptu religious services under trees. The churches built in Mitchelville were the center of religious, social, political, and . . . — Map (db m105172) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-13 — Revolutionary War Ambush
In December 1781, returning from a patrol with the Patriot Militia, Charles Devant was mortally wounded from ambush near here by Captain Martinangel's Royal Militia from Daufuskie Island. He managed to ride his horse to his nearby plantation, Two . . . — Map (db m33789) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Steam Gun
Hilton Head Steamgun was the last of 13 produced - 8 land based and 5 ship borne. The 50 foot long, 15-inch diameter barrel propelled a 7 foot long, dynamite loaded projectile up to 3 .25 miles. Two steam engines powered an electric generator . . . — Map (db m16604) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — The Battle of Port Royal/William Fitzhugh and Black Sailors in the Union Navy
The Battle of Port Royal On November 7, 1861, at the Battle of Port Royal Union forces attacked Confederates at Fort Walker on Hilton Head island and Fort Beauregard at Bay Point.The Union deployed the largest amphibious fleet ever . . . — Map (db m105290) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — The Dawn of Freedom: Mitchelville
During the civil War, Union forces defeated the Confederates on Hilton Head Island at the Battle of Port Royal on November 7, 1861. Cannon fire from that battle heralded a dawn of freedom for millions of African slaves throughout the South. . . . — Map (db m105121) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — The Story of Fort Howell
In the spring and summer of 1864, Union officers of the Department of the South on Hilton Head Island became concerned about retaining sufficient troops and equipment to defend Hilton Head, as units were being transferred to participate in campaigns . . . — Map (db m131823) HM WM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — The Troops that Built Fort Howell / Camp Baird
The Troops that Built Fort Howell Construction of Fort Howell was begun by the 32nd U.S. Colored Infantry and completed by the 144th New York Infantry. The 500-man 32nd Colored Infantry was organized at Camp William Penn, Philadelphia, . . . — Map (db m131839) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Two Gallant Gentlemen from South Carolina
To honor the memory of two gallant gentleman of South Carolina. Thomas Fenwick Drayton; Brigadier-General, C.S.A. and his brother Commodore Percival Drayton, U.S.N., Captain of U.S.S. Hartford, and later the first Chief of Naval Operations. . . . — Map (db m16499) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-35 — William Simmons House
(Front text) This house, built in 1930, is typical in materials and methods of construction of those built on the S.C. Sea Islands from the end of the Civil War to the mid-20th century. It was built on land bought after 1865 by William . . . — Map (db m56892) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — Working for Wages/Freedmen’s Bureau
Working for Wages African slaves who escaped their plantations and worked for the Union military earned between six and eighteen dollars a month as carpenters, blacksmiths, drivers, boatmen, and laborers. Others worked as cooks and servants . . . — Map (db m105254) HM
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — World’s Largest Figurative Sundial
(plaque 1) Welcome to The Shelter Cove Harbor Community Home Of The World’s Largest Figurative Sundial Dedicated August 18, 1983 The sculpture weighs more than a ton, is a twice life sized statue of Neptune, cast in bronze at . . . — Map (db m104698)
South Carolina (Beaufort County), Hilton Head Island — 7-12 — Zion Chapel of Ease and Cemetery
A Chapel of St. Luke's Parish, established May 23, 1767, built of wood shortly after 1786 under the direction of Captain John Stoney and Isaac Fripp, was consecrated in 1833. Members of the Barksdale, Baynard, Chaplin, Davant, Fripp, Kirk, . . . — Map (db m119648) HM

35 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement