This site was once close to the geological edge of the Hudson River. This building, CIRCA 1889, close to major transportation was once Hoboken's largest commercial structure. Built as the Second National Bank, it housed a variety of uses, most . . . — — Map (db m6881) HM
On June 19, 1846, the first match game of baseball was played here on the Elysian Fields between the Knickerbockers and the New Yorks. It is generally conceded that until this time, the game was not seriously regarded. — — Map (db m6878) HM
May 30th - 1888
– Committee –
E.A. Stevens – G.A. Seide
James A. Greyer – Theophilus Butts
James Benson – B.F. Hart
F.W. Schroeder – John Eckstein
By the citizens of
Hoboken . . . — — Map (db m6791) HM
Fast, reliable ferry service run by the Stevens family brought New Yorkers to Hoboken in droves. To attract riders, the Stevens' turned the waterfront into a semi-public park. They opened paths, pavilions, and breath-taking views, and named it . . . — — Map (db m6883) HM
The Maxwell House Coffee Plant stretched along Hoboken's waterfront from Tenth to Twelfth Streets. It was a marvel of its time, the largest coffee processing plant in the world, and a local landmark. Before the plant was built in 1938-39, part of . . . — — Map (db m6880) HM
John Cox Stevens, an outgoing member of Hoboken's founding family and avid boater, organized the New York Yacht Club (NYYC) on July 30, 1844, and served as its first Commodore. He built the first clubhouse on this site at the foot of Tenth Street. . . . — — Map (db m6882) HM
Stephen Collins Foster
“Old Folks at Home”
and other immortal songs lived in this house during the year 1854.
It was while living here that “Jeanie With the Light Brown Hair” was . . . — — Map (db m7252) HM
This land was a part of the Island of Hoboken which was deeded on Feb. 15, 1663 by Peter Stuyvesant, Governor of Nieuw Amsterdam, for the benefit of his sister Anna, Widow of Samuel Bayard of Amsterdam.
In 1784, these 564 acres belonging to . . . — — Map (db m6860) HM
On this site stood the Martha Institute from 1866-1999. Built on land donated by Hoboken philanthropist Martha Bayard Stevens and named in her honor, the Martha Institute served as home to Hoboken's first German-American school, the Manual Trade . . . — — Map (db m6879) HM
Dedicated to the Valiant American Expeditionary Forces who embarked from this point to participate in the World War 1917-1918.
Erected by Hoboken Assembly Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus May 30, 1925.
On the other side of the boulder . . . — — Map (db m88729) WM
Dedicated to those 153 Hoboken residents
Who made the ultimate sacrifice through
Seflfess acts of bravery, courage,
And loyalty to our great country
And the principles of democracy.
Mayor David Roberts
James J Farina, City Clerk . . . — — Map (db m81101) HM