Side A Located in Jefferson County in Shades Valley, Homewood came into existence with the combination of Edgewood, Rosedale, and Oak Grove. Hollywood, a fourth community, joined Homewood later. The City of Homewood was incorporated in 1926, . . . — — Map (db m37712) HM
Nathan Byars, II settled here in 1836, followed by William D. Satterwhite in 1853, and Phillip Thomas Griffin and his wife Mary Ann Byars Griffin in 1854. These early settlers cleared land, built homes and farmed in what was a vast wooded . . . — — Map (db m26946) HM
The developers of the Town of Edgewood, Stephen Smith and Troupe Brazelton, built the beautiful 117.4 acre lake and clubhouse in 1913-15. Amenities included a swimming pool, dance pavilion, fishing, boating and parking for hundreds of automobiles.
. . . — — Map (db m26963) HM
In the early 1900's, among the many craftsmen who migrated south to build the booming industrial cities was Swedish brick mason A. G. Hallman. Hallman moved from the Lake Michigan area and purchased an acre of farmland along the north side of Oxmoor . . . — — Map (db m26986) HM
Clyde Nelson, born in Columbiana, Alabama, was only 26 when he began development of the Town of Hollywood in 1926. With a sales force of 75 and the slogan "Out of the smoke zone, into the ozone" his beautiful community soon took shape. Homes were . . . — — Map (db m27091) HM
Beginning in the mid 19th century settlers first emigrated into a vast wooded wilderness now known as Homewood.
On February 11, 1927, the merger of Edgewood, Grove Park and Rosedale became the new City of Homewood. On October 14, 1929 . . . — — Map (db m51156) HM
Benjamin F. Roden formed the Clifton Land Company in 1886 to develop this area. The development was reorganized in 1889 as the South Birmingham Land Company.
Theodore Smith, nurseryman and florist, moved here from Bedford, New York in the 1880's . . . — — Map (db m24344) HM
Multiple purpose Christian university founded 1841 as Howard College by Alabama Baptists at Marion.
Moved to East Lake, Birmingham, 1887. Established on this campus 1957.
Acquired Cumberland School of Law, Lebanon, Tennessee 1961. . . . — — Map (db m27296) HM
Nationally acclaimed Jefferson County School which originally served students from Homewood, Mountain Brook, Vestavia, Oak Grove, Irondale, Cahaba Heights, Hoover, Rocky Ridge, etc.
Opened Fall 1949, closed 1996, demolished 2000. Designed by . . . — — Map (db m47786) HM
Union Hill Cemetery is the burial ground of many pioneers and early settlers of the Shades Valley area. It was established in the 1870s, but includes gravestones dating back to the early 1850s due to the relocation of two earlier, smaller cemeteries . . . — — Map (db m83873) HM
This cemetery is the final resting place of many of Shades Valley's pioneer residents. A few of the earliest headstones date from the mid-1850s. Descendants of these settlers helped mold the cities of Mountain Brook and Homewood. Located on property . . . — — Map (db m26294) HM