Summit/Hale Sps., a one-room school, opened on the mountain in 1898. It moved to this site and was named Bluff Park Elementary School with 50 students and funded with community support in 1923. From two-rooms, it expanded to 32 classrooms in 1988. . . . — — Map (db m28486) HM
The Presbyterian Church U.S. began an effort in May 1960 to organize a new Presbyterian Church in the Cahaba Heights area. Rev. Frank M. Barker, Jr. was asked to begin the process and began contacting prospective members in a door to door campaign. . . . — — Map (db m52185) HM
In 1858, the State of Alabama, wanting to develop coal and iron industries in Jefferson County, Had John T. Milner survey Shades Mountain for the most practical route for the South and North Railroad to cross. He selected Brock's Gap, named for . . . — — Map (db m26773) HM
The City of Hoover has grown rapidly since its incorporation in 1967 from a small four block area west of this site. A metal shed behind Employers Ins. Co. became the first fire station and “city hall.” A bank, grocery, hardware, drug . . . — — Map (db m28448) HM
William M. and Evan Hale built this home on the 400 acres purchased by Gardner Hale in 1862. The Hales descended from two signers of the Mayflower compact, 1620. Purchased in 1993 by Carlo and Dianne Joseph, it was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — — Map (db m28487) HM
The City of Hoover was founded in 1967 by William H. Hoover and consisted of four city blocks and only 410 citizens. Hoover grew rapidly in the following 43 years to more than 75,000 residents within 50 square miles, making it the sixth largest city . . . — — Map (db m52179) HM
The poetic lines inscribed on the boulder below is a replica of those carved in 1827 by Thomas W. Farrar.
Thomas W. Farrar was the Founder and first Grand Master of the Masonic Lodge in Alabama 1821-22-24.
This historical site donated to the . . . — — Map (db m28490) HM
A neighborhood of 158 homes, Monte D'Oro was established July 23, 1964, which was prior to the incorporation of the City of Hoover. The neighborhood was build by developer William M. "Bill" Humphries. These homes were designed by architect and noted . . . — — Map (db m83253) HM
This house was provided for the overseer of the 560-acre A. B. Howell Peach Orchard. William Morgan and William and Evan Hale were overseers. The house was purchased by John and Marie Taylor in 1989 and was placed on the Alabama Register of . . . — — Map (db m28494) HM
Just after the War Between the States Robert Berry Patton gave seven acres of land, logs from his sawmill to build a church, school and cemetery. He served as the first pastor. Fire destroyed the church in 1908 and 1938. The school served the area . . . — — Map (db m83915) HM
A subscription school organized in the 1850’s in Rocky Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Land deeded by church in 1881 to build a log school. In 1912, Professor E. D. Watkins taught all classes to the 30 students. In 1918, his 15 year old . . . — — Map (db m73065) HM
In 1858 James Taylor Ross, a Scotchman, migrated to the South, acquired land and homesteaded in what is now Shades Valley. He provided land for the construction of a railway, including a bridge spanning Ross Creek. After the Ross family moved . . . — — Map (db m27302) HM
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff Park Hotel, built on land . . . — — Map (db m27311) HM
Indian, Wagon Trail, now Shades Crest Road, led to popular chalybeate springs. Summit, now Bluff Park, was a resort known for its view, cool air and healing mineral water. In 1899 school / church was built. In 1909 Bluff
Park Hotel, built on land . . . — — Map (db m28517) HM
51 Structures, 70% residential, built early 20th century to post World War II period.
The 1885 sale of Gardner Hale’s land began the housing development. The 33 acre 1924 Independent Presbyterian Church Children’s Fresh Air Farm, 1923 Bluff Park . . . — — Map (db m28518) HM