Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hudson, Ohio Historical Markers

 
Boyhood home of John Brown Marker image, Touch for more information
By Kevin Gray, March 18, 2011
Boyhood home of John Brown Marker
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — Boyhood home of John Brown
Hudson, Ohio. Boyhood home of John Brown (1800-1859.) Abolitionist John Brown came to Hudson as a boy in 1805 and lived here until 1826. A frequent visitor to Hudson in the ensuing years, Brown attended services at the Free Congregational Church, . . . — Map (db m41270) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — 31-77 — First Congregational Church of Hudson
On this site, the first meetinghouse owned by the Hudson Congregational Church was dedicated March 1, 1820, twenty-one years after David Hudson first came to the Hudson area. Its members met here until they completed their sanctuary on Aurora Street . . . — Map (db m36192) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — First Log House in Summit County
Near this spot stood the first log house in Summit County, built by David Hudson of Goshen, Connecticut, in 1799. It was the birthplace, October 28, 1800, of the first white child in this county Anner Maria Hudson. Erected . . . — Map (db m41268) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — First Schoolhouse in Summit County
On this site stood a log schoolhouse built in 1801, the first in Summit County. It was used as a meeting-place by the Hudson Congregational Church formed by David Hudson, its lifetime Deacon, and organized September 4, 1802, by Rev. Joseph Badger. . . . — Map (db m36193) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — 39-77 — Gustave H. Grimm
On this site in 1882, Gustave H. Grimm (1850-1914), a German immigrant tinsmith, established the G.H. Grimm Manufacturing Company. His device, the Champion Evaporator, revolutionized maple syrup production with the use of a corrugated pan which . . . — Map (db m29261) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — Hudson and the Underground Railroad Historic Underground Railroad Site
Side A Hudson had a long tradition of being an anti-slavery town. By 1826, records show that the town's founder, David Hudson, was hiding runaway slaves at his home. Early Settler Owen Brown and his family helped organize the Underground . . . — Map (db m36201) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — Loomis Observatory
Elias Loomis and Charles Augustus Young worked in this Observatory, built in 1838, the third to be erected in the United States, the second oldest standing (1926). — Map (db m36202) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — Middle College 1826 - 1912
On this site, April 26, 1826 was laid the cornerstone of the first college edifice in the Western Reserve, later called Middle College. It marked the beginning of Western Reserve University — Map (db m48681) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — North College
Erected in 1837-38, originally for the use of students of divinity — Map (db m48680) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — President-elect Abraham Lincoln
President-elect Abraham Lincoln, en route to Washington for his first inaugural, stopped in Hudson aboard a special Presidential train on February 15, 1861. A crowd of over 6,000 people greeted Lincoln at the old Hudson Depot, located near this . . . — Map (db m41269) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — President's House
This house was built in 1830 for the President of the College and the Professor of Theology. Here lived Presidents Storrs, Hitchcock and Pierce This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by . . . — Map (db m48679) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — The Chapel
This Chapel, in architecture and tradition recalling Old Yale College, the ideals of which inspired the establishment of higher learning in the Western Reserve, was dedicated in 1836 to the service of Almighty God This property . . . — Map (db m48673) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Hudson — 21-77 — Western Reserve College and Academy
With the help of town founder, David Hudson, Western Reserve College and its Academy were founded in 1826. Often called "The Yale of the West," the college saw success initially as nearly all of its professors and college presidents were Yale . . . — Map (db m43418) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement