Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Hutchinson, Kansas Historical Markers

 
American Hotel Marker & Anchor Inn image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., February 20, 2012
American Hotel Marker & Anchor Inn
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — American Hotel 128 South Main 1916
Built on the site of E.L. Johnson's horseshoeing business, the American Hotel was in operation until it became the Anchor Inn in 1975 — Map (db m53363) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Bussinger Clothiers 127 North Main 1886
Altered 1960, rehabilitated 1991. Housed Bussinger Clothiers, Hoagland Clothing, Watson's Clothing and other offices and a boarding house. — Map (db m40070) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Citizens Bank 200 North Main 1886
Since its original construction, the Highley or Sidlinger Block has always housed a bank or other financial institution. — Map (db m40079) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Coliseum Hotel and Saltwater Natatorium
Buildings that once stood here were constructed in 1909 as the Coliseum Hotel and Saltwater Natatorium. The Coliseum Hotel was designed on a European plan offering 75 guest rooms, commodious dining room, library and a fine gymnasium and the only . . . — Map (db m63471) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — European Hotel 123 North Main 1888
Facade added 1925. The European Hotel was listed in 1909 as occupying the upper level. — Map (db m40069) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Gus Gorilla Pittsburg State University
In 1920, a group of PSU students organized themselves as the Gorillas, a '20s slang term for roughnecks, with the purpose to promote school spirit. In 1925, the student body unanimously adopted the ferocious beast as the school mascot. The Gorilla, . . . — Map (db m40010) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Hess Feed Store 129 South Main 1919
This building housed the Hess Feed Store in 1919; by 1933 it is Dillon Mercantile. In 1951 it became B & Main Restaurant — Map (db m53361) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Hutchinson Auto and Tractor School 116-118 South Main 1908
This rare two-story auto facility housed the Hutchinson Auto and Tractor School in the 1920's. WWII sailors danced at the Oak Leaf Ballroom on the 2nd floor. — Map (db m53366) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Hutchinson Gas Crisis
Gas escaping under pressure from storage facilities 4 miles away traveled underground and emerged through the open well inside the building. The gas ignited, producing a large explosion and initiating the Hutchinson Gas Crisis on January 17, . . . — Map (db m63473) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Hutchinson Implement Co. 120-122 South Main 1912
Built on the site of Colee's Harness Shop, The Hutchinson Gazette occupied this building in 1919. It later became the Hutchinson Implement Co., then McKenzie's Body Shop. — Map (db m53365) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Hutchinson's Historic Fox Theatre
has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Est. 1931 — Map (db m40064) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Krous Building 122 North Main 1905
Replaced original 1899 Krous Building, altered 1960, rehabilitated 1988. Housed Jenkins & Sons Music, Jones O'Neal Shoes and now Payton Optical. — Map (db m40081) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Magers Agricultural Implements 123 South Main 1896
This store, which has housed a grocery store, shoe repair, pawn shop and loan office is one of the oldest frame structures in Hutchinson. — Map (db m53359) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Man's Last Footsteps On The Moon
A man must rise above the Earth to the top of the atmosphere and beyond, and only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives. Socrates (circa 399 BC) On December 13, 1972, at 11:40:56 p.m. (CST), Apollo 17 Commander . . . — Map (db m62881) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — O'Brian's Grocery 121 South Main 1907
O'Brian sold his medicinal oil from this site. Later, for many years, the building was used as a billiards parlor. — Map (db m53358) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Outhouses
Outhouses, sometimes referred to as "backhouses" or "privies", were once a common sight across America. Made from a variety of materials and from various designs, outhouses functioned as restrooms for those who did not have indoor plumbing. Usually . . . — Map (db m40094) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Reno County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Monument
Lest We Forget In Memory of All Soldiers and Sailors Loyal to Our Flag — Map (db m40082) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Reno House 101 North Main 1871
Site of the first building solely a hotel, the 1871 Reno Hotel was replaced in 1912 by the Reno House. The American National Bank Building became Hutchinson National Bank. — Map (db m40041) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Siegrist Claim House, 1876
The question of how to encourage further settlement of its western territories and the State of Kansas prompted the Federal Government to create the Homestead Act in 1862. Among the basic requirements of the Homestead Act, a settler had to file a . . . — Map (db m40084) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Stallman Block 119 North Main 1889
This building has housed Star Clothiers, Nussbaum's and Meschkes Men's Clothing. — Map (db m40067) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Strand Theater 103 North Main 1913
The Strand Theater occupied this site in 1913. It later was called the Deluxe Theater. — Map (db m40044) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — The First National Bank of Hutchinson 1 North Main Street 1876
The First National Bank of Hutchinson, Hutchinson's first bank, has been located on the corner of Sherman and Main since 1876, when the first building was purchased from C.C. Hutchinson. In 1911 on Lot 1, architect Daniel Burnham designed . . . — Map (db m63470) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — The Legend of Corky the Hornet Emporia State University
In the early 1930s, the Kansas State Teachers College students were known as the "Yaps." Not fond of the name, legendary coach Vic Trusler suggested to Cecil Carle of the Emporia Gazette that the team be called the "Yellow Jackets" because . . . — Map (db m40032) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — The Story of WuShock Wichita State University
It was 1904 when Wichita State University was known as Fairmoun[t] College that R.J. Kirk (Class of 1907), a football manager, invented the name "Wheat Shockers" for posters to advertise a game against the Chilocco Indians. It was shortened to . . . — Map (db m40004) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — The University of Kansas Jayhawk
The University of Kansas is home to a mythical bird with a fascinating history: the Jayhawk. The legendary KU mascot originated in the 1850s border war in Kansas Territory over the question of slavery. No one knows the true origin of the term . . . — Map (db m40037) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Victor E. Tiger Fort Hayes State University
Our mascot has a mysterious past. The Tiger has existed in various forms since 1914, but there is no conclusive historical record of its creation. Some evidence suggests that it may have been the brainchild of W.A. Lewis, our first president. . . . — Map (db m40029) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Warren G. Harding
This tablet erected in honor of Warren G. Harding President of the United States who spoke in this park June 23, 1923 — Map (db m40083) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Whiteside Building 126 North Main 1904
An early skylight drew Morton Interiors, McInturff Photo Studio and Three Sisters Clothing Store. Site originally was a livery stable. — Map (db m40076) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Wildcat Evolution [Kansas State University]
"Originally known as the Aggies," the term "Wildcats" was first adopted for Kansas State University athletic teams in 1915 when football coach "Jawn" Bender called his players wildcats after they fought to a 0 - 0 tie with Missouri. "Willie the . . . — Map (db m40005) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Wiley Building 100-102 North Main 1912
1882 Opera House preceded Vernon Wiley's $350,000, 1912 Classical Revival style skyscraper, tallest building west of the Mississippi, home of Hutchinson Board of Trade and Wiley's Department Store. — Map (db m40058) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Windmills
Windmills were once a common sight across the Great Plains and played an important role in the settlement of the American West. Windmills allowed settlers to farm the fertile plains in areas not blessed with abundant streams and rivers. Used . . . — Map (db m40093) HM

31 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement