Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Irondequoit, New York Historical Markers

 
An Early Doctor Marker as seen facing East image, Touch for more information
By Yugoboy, February 21, 2013
An Early Doctor Marker as seen facing East
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — An Early Doctor
John Smyles came to Irondequoit 1805, also farmer, journalist, supervisor, abolitionist. Built this home in 1850. — Map (db m65239) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — British Army Encampment Prideaux's Campaign French & Indian War —
Bivouac For two days, July 2nd and 3rd, 1759, a force of 3,000 soldiers under the command of Brigidier General John Prideaux camped here. The army was advancing along the lake on a campaign from Oswego to Four Mile Creek, near Fort Niagara. . . . — Map (db m90266) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop
Cobblestone Blacksmith Shop The oldest building in Irondequoit. Built in 1830 by Ransford Perrin. — Map (db m90154) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Fort Des Sables
Fort Des Sables A French trading post built by Joncaire near this site in 1717 as a Seneca link to New France. Aroused British ire. — Map (db m90157) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Grant Homestead
In the 1830's Sydney Grant pioneered West Irondequoit's schools with free evening classes in his home. — Map (db m93910) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Here Stands one of the Oldest Pieces of Earth
Here stands one of the oldest pieces of earth known to man. The complex crystalline structure of this boulder shows that it is not a native of this region but is related to rocks in Canada far north of here. Thousands of years ago it was torn from . . . — Map (db m90156) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Hosea Rogers
Hosea Rogers Pioneer and Lake Captain born at Carthage 1812 settled here 1832 built this hime 1852 died here in 1904 — Map (db m117890) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Irondequoit Bay Historic New York
From Irondequoit Bay, Indian trails led southward to Seneca villages and on to the Ohio country. LaSalle abd French missionaries arrived in 1669. In 1687, Marquis de Denonville, governor of New France, landed with soldiers and Indian allies to . . . — Map (db m93767) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Irondequoit War Memorial
Dedicated to all the men and women of Irondequoit who served their country with respect and devotion. — Map (db m137316) WM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Live acts on the Front Lawn have entertained thousands over the past century. To name just a few: lion & tiger tamers, flying trapeze acts, high diving shows (including horses!), Freddy's Funny Ford, alligator wrestling, song & dance shows, . . . — Map (db m86458) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
. . . — Map (db m86461) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Before autos became the primary means of travel, today's south parking lot featreud some popular attractions. Danceland was home to big-name swing bands playing for your dancing pleasure (interior shot insert). The original Dodgem (aka Bumper Cars) . . . — Map (db m86529) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
This photo shows the earliest version of the 1920 Jack Rabbit coaster and its loading station - which burned in 1923. The station has been modified over the years (see the 1950's inset with banners and ticket booth) and the ride has been rebuilt . . . — Map (db m86539) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
The "pole construction" building, now the park office, is shown here in its original location on Culver Road. The building originally served as a pavillion at the end of the trolley line. Later it was enclosed, became a restaurant and then a gift . . . — Map (db m86543) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
The merry-go-round is the centerpiece of the park's colorful history. It was in 1904 that George Long Sr. brought his 12-year-old son George Jr. (inset) and the family to operate a carousel concession. This was one of several rides built and run by . . . — Map (db m86550) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
In the Fifties, this area featured rides like Boats and Turtles, which later movd to today's Kiddie City. The original Goofy House was first a dark walk-thru, and later had a rotating barrel, 2-story slide, moving stairs, and tilted room - plus the . . . — Map (db m86554) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Several kiddie rides were located under a porch roof on this spot in the 1950's, including the Horse & Buggy Ride (inset), A decade later, the Go Carts operated here - gas powered carts you'd drive around a track with wooden bumper rails. Soon the . . . — Map (db m86555) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — On This Site - Over the Years
Today's home-grown Bobsleds ride began as the park's Junior Coaster, as shown here in the large picture. The early ride featured boxy cars (left inset) that rode on flat tracks on a simple two-level structure. But in the Sixties, park owner George . . . — Map (db m86557) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Our Irondequoit
Our Irondequoit melon was developed here on the Wm. Sutton farm. Its seed was first sold 1899. Very famous for its taste. Wiped out by blight 1940s. — Map (db m90142) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Pioneer Home
Pioneer Home built about 1830 on Ridge Road just west of Culver, this sturdy New England "salt box" style home has been moved twice. — Map (db m90153) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Seneca People
With this marker, the Town of Irondequoit honors the Seneca People, whose ancient trails cross this land. We honor The Keepers of the Western Door who hunted and fished, lived and planted food here. To the People of the Great Hill, we . . . — Map (db m63994) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Swayne's Corners
Swayne's Corners Town of Irondequoit organized April 2, 1839 at his early crossroad settlement. Here later were Swayne's Hotel and, until 1957, Forest House. — Map (db m90169) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — The Leopold Lion
Edward F. Long and his family - the first generation of the family that now owns and operates Seabreeze - began building carousels in Philadelphia in 1876. They built eight major carousels, and the animals were carved in local shops primarily by the . . . — Map (db m86412) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — The Seabreeze Time Line
Take a walk through the park's colorful history of providing family fun for over 130 years. c. 1879, The Park Opens The park opens in 1879 as the final stop on the Rochester & Lake Ontario Railroad Company's steam train line, running . . . — Map (db m86491) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement