Judge Smith proclaimed Jackson the Seat of Justice after Clerk Collier canvassed the votes of the May 1851 election in which 1224 votes were cast for Moquelumne Hill and 1014 for Jackson. An armed party from Moquelumne Hill pursued Judge Smith to . . . — — Map (db m27499) HM
Erected by the Citizens of
Amador County California in
A native of Jackson,
Born July 30 1854
Died November 17 1923
District Attorney, State Senator, United States Congressman, United . . . — — Map (db m72067) HM
Very Reverend Archimandrite Sebastian Dabovich
The First Administrator of the Serbian Church In America – Born in San Francisco on June 21, 1863 – Died November 30, 1940 in the Monastery of Zitcha at the Age of Seventy-Seven. — — Map (db m13966) HM
Argonaut Mine, discovered 1850, and Kennedy Mine, discovered 1856, played dramatic roles in the economic development of California. They produced $105,268,760 in gold. Kennedy Mine has a vertical shaft of 5,912 feet, the deepest in the United States . . . — — Map (db m100586) HM
On the hill to your right stand the remains of the Argonaut Mine gallus (headframe), beneath which 47 miners were lost when a fire broke out deep in the main shaft on August 27, 1922. At that time the Argonaut was one of the deepest gold mines in . . . — — Map (db m94781) HM
World’s oldest profession
flourished 50 yds east of
this plaque for many years
Until this most perfect
example of free enterprise
was padlocked by
[ERECTIONS is an . . . — — Map (db m29341) HM
Home (built 1859) of Armstead C. Brown (1816 – 1902) & son George until 1947. A.C. Brown was a lawyer, first president of Jackson City Trustees, state assemblyman 1863 – 66 & 1860 – 70, county judge 1876 – 78. Gave land to . . . — — Map (db m27683) HM
Excelsior Parlor #31 was organized near this site on June 28, 1884. The building was the site of See & Marshall’s Circus lot in 1851, the Fireman’s Hall from 1850 through 1862 and Mat Ryan’s Saloon until purchased by the Native Sons of the Golden . . . — — Map (db m71556) HM
They traveled here from family hearths throughout the world to mine Sierra’s treasures from the Golden Mother Lode.
O’er claims where stood raw shacks and sailcloth tents the woodsmoke curled,
while pick and shovel, pan and sluice marked where . . . — — Map (db m42497) HM
In 1848, was a village of huts and tents called
by the Mexicans from the bottles strewn about by those who tarried here.
In 1849, it was named
for Colonel Jackson an early day resident.
In 1853, Amador . . . — — Map (db m72060) HM
This trusty bell served Jackson
faithfully for over 70 years.
Located in tower near courthouse.
Warning of fire or other peril.
Dedicated July 8, 1989 by
Amador County Historical Society
Excelsior . . . — — Map (db m19750) HM
Viewpoint: 50 yards west, Two of the richest gold mines in Amador County, both reached depths of over one mile. Worked until 1942. Kennedy produced $28.5 million, the Argonaut $ 25 million. Notice headframes west toward Highway 49 and tailing wheels . . . — — Map (db m44586) HM
Gold changed an entire way of life in California during the Gold Rush. In 1860 Andrew Kennedy and three partners filed 4 mining claims of about 600 feet long. Two shafts were started near what is now Highway 49. The shafts were started, which . . . — — Map (db m101351) HM
The first major environmental project of mother lode mining. Entered on the National Historical Register July 7, 1981, through the efforts of Clyde Berriman on behalf of the City of Jackson. — — Map (db m71568) HM
In the late 1850’s, Andrew Kennedy discovered gold in an outcropping of quartz. The mine produced over $34.2 million in gold, making it one of the richest gold mines in the world. With a depth of 5,912 feet, it was the deepest mine in North America . . . — — Map (db m19797) HM
On this site in 1905, a double jack drilling contest took place. A 31 ½ inch hole was drilled in this granite in 15 minutes. The contest was won by Matt Thomas & Pete Vasilovich. — — Map (db m10777) HM
Started about 100 years ago as Ryan’s Station. In 1888 became known as Martell’s Station. This was the main terminal for stagecoaches from Amador County gold mines. Large shipments of gold bullion were made from Martell’s Station to San Francisco, . . . — — Map (db m70230) HM
The Massa Tunnel was dug in the 1850’s on Massa Brothers' land. The tunnel extends 126’ into the east vein of the Mother Lode. Little gold was found. The Kennedy Mine acquired the property in 1898. It and the Argonaut mined the richer west vein . . . — — Map (db m44587) HM
In memory of Elmer Bacheller, James Clayton, Evan Ely, William Fessel, Charles Fitzgerald, Ernest Miller, Arthur and son Charles O'Berg, and Bert Seamans who died August 28, 1922 in the Argonaut Mine Fire — — Map (db m94757) HM
In memory of Peter Bagoye, Rafaelo Baldocchi, Domenico Boleri, Eugene Buscaglia, John Caminada, Peter Cavaglieri, Manuel Costa, Paul Delonga, A. Fazzini, V. Fideli, Simone Francisconi, Battista Gamboni, Timothy Garcia, Maurice Gianetti, Giuseppe . . . — — Map (db m94774) HM
Founded and active in the 1880’s. 10 stamp mill and a 640’ shaft. Re-opened 1921 till 1929. 20 stamp mill and a 2,291’ incline shaft. Tailing dam north to Raley’s. Produced $564,624 in gold.
Nearby Mines: South Jackson, Fern, Kearsling, . . . — — Map (db m44582) HM
The Order or Native Daughters
of the Golden West
was organized on these premises
The site of the
on September 1, 1886.
This tablet is placed
In memory of
the founding of the order
Ursula Parlor No. 1, . . . — — Map (db m28039) HM
Voters on July 17, 1854, selected Jackson as the county seat of the new County of Amador, born that June 14 after a spirited election. Fulfilling their promise, the Jackson town trustees, at no county expense, financed construction of the first . . . — — Map (db m27910) HM
On September 18, 1857, Congregation B’nai Israel of Jackson dedicated on this site the first synagogue in the Mother Lode. High holiday worship continued until 1869 when the larger Masonic Hall was used to accommodate the congregation. The wooden . . . — — Map (db m100588) HM
St. Sava Serbian Orthodox Church was erected in 1894. It is the first Serbian Orthodox church built in the U.S. Rev. Sebastian Dabovich, first Priest in this parish. Born in S.F. & reared in nearby Plymouth. Inspired his people in the early 1890’s & . . . — — Map (db m11514) HM
Under This Tablet Is
The Court House Well
Dug in 1851, 52 feet in depth
For generations it was a main
source of domestic water
for the community.
“Gone is the ancient equipment
but still the living water flows.” . . . — — Map (db m27908) HM
- The Kennedy Mine -
You are standing on property that once belonged to the Kennedy Mine. The Kennedy Mine is named for Andrew Kennedy, who reportedly discovered a quartz ledge in the late 1850s. The Kennedy Mining Company was formed in 1860 . . . — — Map (db m72070) HM
Known as the National Hotel from 1913 to 1962, this hostelry is built over double springs at which earlier gold seekers stopped to refresh themselves. It has been in constant operation since 1862 and has served as a focal point for “community . . . — — Map (db m27670) HM
This monument marks the site of a spring that refreshed the early travelers into this region. So many bottles were found around this spring that some Chilean miners called the site "Bottileas" or place of the bottles, the first name by which the . . . — — Map (db m21371) HM
The Foothill Station became the first University of California qualifying outlying station funded jointly by federal, state and local county sources in March 1888. The station was developed under the patronage of Senator A. Caminetti of Jackson. . . . — — Map (db m72065) HM
Prominent in the mining world through his work at the Zeile, Kennedy, Argonaut & other Mother Lode mines, 1881 – 1929. His public spirit and mechanical skills led to many improvements in Jackson’s streets and bridges.
First Mayor of Jackson, . . . — — Map (db m27978) HM
Dedicated to the pioneers
of California by the
Kit Carson Mountain Men
of Jackson, Amador County
June 18, 1949
An estimated $100,000,000 in
gold was handled
by this office.
Plaque provided by
Wells Fargo Bank
Union Trust . . . — — Map (db m27859) HM
First structure on site built in 1851. Bar portion of building erected in 1856 as drug store. Wells Fargo Express Agency moved to store briefly in 1887. Two story section built in 1858, used as a general store. Easterly one story section built in . . . — — Map (db m27857) HM
The William J. Paugh House, also known as Rosewall, is a very pure example of a Gothic Revival House. The style was most popular during the 1840's and 1850's. It was built in the late 1850's by Charles L. Parish, artist, architect and builder. . . . — — Map (db m28067) HM
Founded in the 1860’s as the Coney Mine, operated continuously from 1875-1914. Later sold to Kennedy. Incline shaft 1865’ deep. Total production $5 million. Note powder house on road to the east. — — Map (db m44585) HM