Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jackson, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
217 W. Capitol building (plaque is on extreme left behind truck) image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, October 16, 2015
217 W. Capitol building (plaque is on extreme left behind truck)
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 217 W. Capitol
. . . — Map (db m90198) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 87 — Ace Records
Ace Records, founded in 1955 by Johnny Vincent (1925-2000), was the most successful Mississippi-based label of the 1950s and 1960s. Ace’s extensive catalog of blues, R&B, pop, rock, and soul included records by Mississippi blues artists Arthur . . . — Map (db m49681) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Belhaven Historic District
The Belhaven neighborhood developed north of the city as Jackson's first suburb. Composed of more than 1,300 historic structures dating from as early as 1904, Belhaven is Mississippi's largest historic district. The neighborhood includes . . . — Map (db m115394) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Belhaven Historic District
The Belhaven neighborhood developed north of the city as Jackson's first suburb. Composed of more than 1,300 historic structures dating from as early as 1904, Belhaven is Mississippi's largest historic district. The neighborhood includes a wide . . . — Map (db m119596) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 57 — Bobby Rush
Front Bobby Rush, a Louisiana native who lived for decades in Chicago, earned the title “king of the chitlin circuit” after relocating to Jackson in the early 1980s. Rush's distinctive “folk funk” style, featured . . . — Map (db m109296) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Boyd House "The Oaks"
Built ca. 1853 for James H. Boyd, Mayor of Jackson, 1842, 1844, 1850, and 1858. One of the few homes to survive the Civil War, the Greek Revival house is listed on National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m115286) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — C.M. and I. College
Est. 1897 as Christ's Holiness School; moved to this site in 1907. Chartered as Christ Missionary & Industrial College in 1908. Teaches religious, academic, and vocational curriculum for grades 1-12+. — Map (db m115292) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 19 — Capitol Rally — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front On June 26, 1966, James Meredith's "March Against Fear" — led by Stokely Carmichael. Martin Luther King, Jr., Floyd McKissick, and others after Meredith was shot and wounded — ended its three-week trek from Memphis . . . — Map (db m89745) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Carter Jewelers
Established in 1849 by Carl J. Von Seutter as the Carl J. Von Seutter Jewelry and Art Emporium, this business was once located in the Majestic Arcade Building on Capitol Street. In 1918, one of Von Seutter's employees, John C. Carter, purchased the . . . — Map (db m51181) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 100 — Cassandra Wilson
~Front~ Grammy Award-winning jazz vocalist Cassandra Wilson, a native of Jackson, is known for her broad explorations of various forms of music, including the blues. Her recordings include versions of songs by Delta blues artists Robert . . . — Map (db m72134) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Central Station1904 - 1979
This building was constructed in 1904 as the original fire station for the first paid City of Jackson Fire Department. With numerous additions, now removed, it served the city for almost seventy five years. Abandoned for three years, listed on . . . — Map (db m109406) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Charge of the 2nd Michigan
During the Civil War siege of Jackson, on July 11, 1863, Union soldiers in the 2nd Michigan Infantry staged an impromptu assault on the city's fortifications. Advancing south through what is today eastern Belhaven, they overran a campsite . . . — Map (db m115337) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Church of Christ (Holiness) U.S.A.
This denomination, which has over 160 member churches in the U.S., was founded ca. 1896 in Jackson by the Rev. Charles Price Jones, preacher, evangelist, and prolific writer of religious songs. — Map (db m105598) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 23 — COFO Central Offices — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front From this building, COFO (Council of Federated Organizations) coordinated efforts of SNCC, NAACP, CORE, SCLC, and other activist groups from early 1963 through early 1965. Clarksdale's Aaron Henry was COFO president. Bob . . . — Map (db m115397) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Confederate Burial Ground
Over 450 Confederate soldiers who died in and around Jackson during the Civil War are buried here. Their names are known but not the exact site of each grave, as some were reburied here from graves where they fell. As Jackson awaited the final . . . — Map (db m105596) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Council of Federated Organizations (COFO)
Founded in 1961, COFO combined the Civil Rights efforts of the Congress of Racial Equality. NAACP, Southern Christian Leadership Conference, Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, and local groups under one umbrella. COFO's grassroots . . . — Map (db m115333) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 135 — Edwards Hotel
Constructed in 1923 and renamed the King Edward Hotel in 1954, the Edwards Hotel was the site of temporary studios set up by OKeh Records in 1930 and the American Record Corporation in 1935 to record blues artists Bo Carter, Robert Wilkins, Joe . . . — Map (db m49680) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Eudora Welty House
Eudora Welty (1909-2001), one of the most acclaimed writers of the twentieth century, lived in this house for seventy six years. This house was built by Welty's parents, Christian and Chestina Welty, in 1925. Eudora Welty wrote all of her major . . . — Map (db m91895) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Fairview Inn
Built ca. 1908 as a private residence for Cyrus C. Warren, vice president of the Warren-Godwin Lumber Company, this Colonial Revival mansion was designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Spencer & Powers. Known as the Warren- Gunter . . . — Map (db m115367) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — First Presbyterian Church
Organized by five Jacksonians in 1837. Under the leadership of Rev. L.D. Halsey, a church building was constructed herein 1845-46 on land purchased from the state. Utilized for Christian worship until 1951. — Map (db m107069) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Fortenberry-Parkman Farm
This typical family farmstead was in operation from 1860 to 1960. The buildings were moved from Jefferson Davis Co. in 1981 and restored through the generosity of the family, friends and county supervisors. — Map (db m69944) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — G.I. Subdivision
To assist returning veterans of WWII, the Mississippi Legislature set aside 153 acres for low-cost house sites. Then known as the "Old Asylum Land," the parcels were sold by lottery in September, 1948. Streets in the subdivision bear . . . — Map (db m115370) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Galloway Memorial
Methodist Episcopal Church South. First M.E. Church South erected A.D. 1838. Present building erected A.D. 1913-1915. Dedicated to the memory of Bishop Charles B. Galloway — Map (db m105561)
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church(Originally, First Methodist)
This edifice ~ a memorial to Bishop Charles Betts Galloway ~ houses descendants of Jackson's first Christian congregation, worshipping on this site since 1839. — Map (db m105560) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — GM&O Depot
History of the GM&O Depot Known at the date of its closing as the GM&O Depot, this passenger depot was constructed in 1927 by the New Orleans Great Northern Railroad (NOGN) and later served the Gulf, Mobile & Northern Railroad (GM&N) as . . . — Map (db m115146) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Greenwood Cemetery
Greenwood Cemetery is the oldest landmark in Jackson. Authorized by the Mississippi Legislature on January 1, 1823, it was later expanded from six to twenty-two acres and given its present name. Among those buried here are numerous governors, public . . . — Map (db m51179) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 5 — Greyhound Bus Station — Mississippi Freedom Trail
(front) On May 28, 1961, a Greyhound bus with nine Freedom Riders aboard arrived here, the third group of Riders into Jackson. The first two came on Trailways buses May 24. That summer 329 people were arrested in Jackson for integrating . . . — Map (db m82000) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 104 — Ishmon Bracey
~Front~ One of the earliest blues musicians from Mississippi to make recordings, Ishmon Bracey (1899-1970) is buried in the nearby Willow Park Cemetery. In the 1920s and '30s Bracey was a leading bluesman in the Jackson area and . . . — Map (db m71512) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Jackson City Hall
Built 1846-47 by slave labor, of handmade brick. Original cost $7505.58. John Oldham, Mayor - Will Gibbon, Arch. Used as hospital for both Union and Confederate soldiers during War Between the States, this building was spared when the town, having . . . — Map (db m49682) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 25 — Jackson Municipal Library Sit-In — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front On March 27, 1961, nine African American Tougaloo students quietly sat in at the Jackson Municipal Library, which served only white patrons. Police ordered them to Carver Library, the "colored" library, and when they refused, . . . — Map (db m109294) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 6 — Jackson State Tragedy — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Tragedy struck Jackson State College on May 15, 1970, when Jackson police and Mississippi Highway Patrol officers suppressed student unrest with intense gunfire. Phillip Lafayette Gibbs and James Earl Green were killed and many injured when . . . — Map (db m109209) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Jitney 14
The Jitney Jungle grocery store chain was founded in 1919 by the McCarty and Holman families. In 1933, Jitney No. 14 held its grand opening in this Tudor Revival building designed by Emmett Hull. The building, called "The English Village," . . . — Map (db m115335) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Kate McWillie Powers Memorial
A gift of R.V. Powers in 1917 enabled the Mississippi Children's Home Society, est. 1912, to build on this site "The Kate McWillie Powers Memorial", a home for children in the care of the Society. In 1997, the Society dedicated this campus as a . . . — Map (db m115284) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Kennington's Mansion
Robert Estes Kennington was one of Jackson's wealthiest merchants in the early 1900s. In 1912, he chose this hill north of the city to build "Kenwood," a grand brick mansion on extensive grounds including a tennis court, lake, formal . . . — Map (db m115336) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — M.W. Stringer Grand Lodge
Named in honor of Grand Master Thomas W. Stringer, founder of Prince Hall Masonry in Mississippi, who served as Grand Master from 1867 to 1893. Dedicated on May 30, 1955, with an address given by civil rights activist and future Supreme . . . — Map (db m115332) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 35 — Malaco Records
Front Malaco Records, one of America’s foremost labels in the fields of southern soul, blues, and gospel, was founded at this site in 1967. Malaco’s studio was the first state-of-the-art recording facility in Mississippi. The label . . . — Map (db m90193) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 2 — Medgar Evers Home — Mississippi Freedom Trail
Front Medgar and Myrlie Evers moved into this home with their children - Darrell and Reena - in 1955 after Medgar became Mississippi's first NAACP Field Secretary. Son Van was born in 1960. Evers was an outspoken activist for . . . — Map (db m115401) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Merci Train MemorialHistory of the Merci Train — 40 & 8 Boxcar
Frequently referred to as "40 & 8" cars because of their capacity to carry "40 men or 8 horses," the boxcars were built beginning in the 1870s and used in both World Wars to transport troops and supplies. Each of the cars of the Merci Train was . . . — Map (db m96574) HM WM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — MFWC Headquarters
The Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs, organized in 1898 in Kosciusko, moved into this headquarters building in 1936. Designed by architect Robert Naef and built by the Works Projects Administration, the structure is of the Georgian-Revival . . . — Map (db m72679) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Millsaps College
Chartered Feb. 21, 1890 by Miss. Methodists. Named for & largely endowed by Maj. R.W. Millsaps. Bishop C.B. Galloway first president of Board; Bishop W.B. Murrah first president of college. — Map (db m51205) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Mississippi State Historical MuseumOld Capitol Restoration
Served 1839-1903 as the state capitol: restored 1959-1961 as the State Historical Museum, a division of the Miss. Department of Archives and History. — Map (db m95483) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Mississippi's Old Capitol
As the state capitol (1839-1903), this building was the site of the 1861 Secession Convention and 1868 and 1890 Constitutional Conventions. Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay, and Jefferson Davis spoke here. After housing state offices 1917-1959, the Old . . . — Map (db m71069) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Monument to Women of the Confederacy
(South face) Our Mothers To the women of the Confederacy “Whose pious ministrations to our wounded soldiers soothed the last hours of those who died far from the objects of their tenderest love, whose domestic labors contributed . . . — Map (db m16720) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Mount Helm Baptist Church - Original Site
On January 8, 1868, Thomas E. and Mary Helm, prominent members of First Presbyterian Church, donated this plot of land to African-Americans who had worshipped in the basement of First Baptist Church from 1835 to 1867. Mount Helm was built here in . . . — Map (db m105597) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Mt. Helm Baptist Church
Formed in 1835, the congregation of Mt. Helm is the oldest black religious body in the city. The church bears the name of the Helm family who donated this land on which the church originally stood. — Map (db m115363) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Noel House
On this site was the house of Andrew J. and Susie Davis Noel, built 1924. Active in the NAACP, the Noels hosted Freedom Riders here in 1960. In 1948, Gladys Noel Bates filed the first lawsuit in the state seeking equal pay for black public school . . . — Map (db m51173) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Old Capitol
Begun in 1833. Here Henry Clay, Andrew Jackson, and Jefferson Davis spoke. Was scene of 1861 Secession Convention, Black and Tan Convention of 1868, & 1890 Constitutional Convention. — Map (db m71070) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Osburn Stand
To improve communication to the Old Southwest, the Natchez Trace was declared a post road in 1800. Afterwards, with Choctaw permission, improvements to this section of the Old Trace began. In 1805, the Choctaw allowed inns, known as stands, to be . . . — Map (db m87361) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 164 — Otis Spann & Little Johnnie Jones
~ Front Side ~ Otis Spann and Little Johnnie Jones, two of the acknowledged masters of Chicago blues piano, were cousins who lived in Jackson in the 1930s and '40s. On the vibrant post-World War II Chicago scene they both played with blues . . . — Map (db m81972) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Pocahontas Mounds
Built and used between A.D 1000 and 1300, this platform mound and a nearby burial mound mark the ceremonial and political seat of a regional chiefdom of the Plaquemine culture. A thatched, clay-plastered ritual temple or chief's lodging stood atop . . . — Map (db m77266) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Pocahontas MoundsMississippi Mound Trail
Front The Pocahontas site consists of two mounds and an associated village area. Mound A is a rectangular platform mound currently 20 feet tall, built between AD 750 and 1500. Excavations located structural features on the mound . . . — Map (db m121103) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 66 — Queen of Hearts
Front The Queen of Hearts, a primary venue for down-home blues in Jackson, opened at this location in the 1970s. During the following decades, owner-operator Chellie B. Lewis presented the blues bands of King Edward, Sam Myers, Big Bad . . . — Map (db m90194) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 116 — Scott Radio Service Company
Front Scott Radio Service Company, located at 128 North Gallatin Street, just north of this site, was one of the first businesses in Mississippi to offer professional recording technology. The Jackson-based Trumpet record label used . . . — Map (db m90196) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Smith Park
Jackson's only surviving "public square" from Peter Vandorn's original city plan of 1822. Named for James Smith, Scottish manufacturer, Confederate benefactor, and Jackson resident, 1834-1855, who donated funds for a fence around the park in 1884. . . . — Map (db m105562) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Smith Robertson School
Built in 1894 as Jackson's first public school for black students. Commonly known as the "Mother School," it was named for Smith Robertson, a respected community leader, and Jackson's first black city alderman. Among the school's graduates is author . . . — Map (db m94959) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — St. Mark's Episcopal Church
This church, organized in 1883, began as a Sunday School mission to blacks under the episcopate of Bishop Hugh M. Thompson. The first instructor was a Mr. Williams, an African American. The Rev. Richard T. Middleton became the first priest in 1904. . . . — Map (db m51176) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 12 — Summers Hotel & Subway Lounge
During the era of segregation, traveling African Americans had few options for lodging. In Jackson, many black musicians stayed at the Summers Hotel, established in 1944 by W.J. Summers. In 1966 Summers opened a club in the hotel basement that he . . . — Map (db m71513) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Temple Beth Israel
Jackson's Jewish congregation was organized in 1861. While not the first congregation in Mississippi, Beth Israel was the first to build a temple. In 1867-1868 a wood frame structure was built on this site. Used as both a school and a house of . . . — Map (db m40494) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The "Cotton Bale" Battery
During the Siege of Jackson, July 10-17, 1863, Confederate Gen. William W. Loring's division held defensive positions extending east of the Canton Road to the Pearl River. A number of artillery batteries were posted on this line, the most prominent . . . — Map (db m107070) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 42 — The Alamo Theatre
The Alamo Theatre opened at this location in 1949. Prior to that the Alamo occupied two other spots in the area. The theatre showed movies, hosted music competitions, and presented blues and jazz concerts by artists such as Nat “King” . . . — Map (db m51197) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The Eagle and Bowman Hotels
Two of Jackson’s historic hotels once stood at this site. The Eagle Hotel, originally a tavern, was built in 1823. Andrew Jackson was a guest here in 1840. Alexander McClung, editor and Mexican War hero, committed suicide at the hotel in 1855. The . . . — Map (db m51178) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The Gowdy Community
The Gowdy community was first settled prior to 1903. Named for Mr. W.B. Gowdy, former president of the Delta Cotton Oil and Fertilizer Plant. This African American community was awarded its own U.S. postal stop in 1915. The Gowdy community is . . . — Map (db m71366) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — The Mississippi Liberty Bell
The Mississippi Liberty Bell made an historic journey during our nation’s Bicentennial year, 1975-1976. On loan to the Southern Baptist Convention and mounted on a truck furnished by the Ford Motor Company, the bell traveled approximately 50,000 . . . — Map (db m126137) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 25 — Trumpet Records
Trumpet Records was the first record company in Mississippi to achieve national stature through its distribution, sales, radio airplay and promotion. Willard and Lillian McMurry launched the label from their retail store, the Record Mart, here at . . . — Map (db m51196) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — U.S.S. Mississippi
Figurehead of the Second Battleship Mississippi Presented to the State of Mississippi By the U.S. Navy Department December 1909 — Map (db m5142) HM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — Union Battery Position
Following the surrender of Vicksburg on July 4, 1863, Union forces under William T. Sherman pursued Joseph E. Johnston's Confederate army to Jackson and laid siege to the city. North of Jackson, Parke's IX Corps moved astride the Canton Road and . . . — Map (db m71101) HM WM
Mississippi (Hinds County), Jackson — 12 — Woolworth's Sit-in — Mississippi Freedom Trail
(front) Woolworth's variety store was the scene of a pivotal event in the Mississippi Civil Rights Movement on May 28, 1963. When three black Tougaloo College students sat down at the white lunch counter seeking service, the nonviolent . . . — Map (db m105565) HM

67 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.