Under the original
landscape plan, 50 plots of land were laid out around the Clubhouse in a very community-oriented fashion. However, not all of the members chose to build their own cottages on these plots.
Over the years a thriving . . . — — Map (db m115070) HM
With only drive and ambition, Frank Henry Goodyear rose from a $35-per-month bookkeeper to the head of a vast lumber, coal, iron, and railroad empire.
Far from viewing Jekyll Island as a place to escape the stresses of business, Goodyear took . . . — — Map (db m115120) HM
They came by water.
Long before the present-day causeway was built, the only way to reach Jekyll Island was by boat. Large steam-powered vessels from the North such as the Mallory Steamship Line delivered Club staff and sundry personal items . . . — — Map (db m115064) HM
From the late-1800s until the mid-1960s, Jim Crow laws enforced racial segregation in the South. These laws prevented African Americans from enjoying equal access to the same public spaces as white people, including restaurants, buses, schools, . . . — — Map (db m115140) HM
Gateway and supplier to Jekyll Island was the busy port of Brunswick.
Located at the mouth of the East River and accessible to even the largest ocean-going vessels, its docks and warehouses were laden with cargo.
Railways eager to . . . — — Map (db m115057) HM
There were two Captain Wyllys in the history of Jekyll. It is believed the road was named for Charles Spalding Wylly (1836- 1923), Captain in the Confederate Army, 1st Georgia Regulars, a descendant of Clement Martin, who was granted on April 5, . . . — — Map (db m17228) HM
The corridor of Pier Road was not only the hub of service for the Jekyll Island Club, it was also the heart of the community for countless employees.
Yes, here you would find a taxidermy shop, upholstery shop, coal storage, woodsheds and . . . — — Map (db m115093) HM
In 1861, Confederate battery positions on Jekyll Island were equipped with one 42-pounder gun and four 32-pounder navy guns en barbette, each having about 60 rounds of shot and shell. Casemates, hot shot furnace and magazines are recorded, also. Of . . . — — Map (db m17187) HM
At the heart of any luxury resort or vacation retreat is sumptuous lodging. When the Jekyll Island Club incorporated in 1885, they knew that the success of the Club depended on a splendid but simple elegant Clubhouse. The Dubignon farmhouse . . . — — Map (db m17262) HM
The brick outline that you see in front of you marks the former Location of Fairbank Cottage.
When Chicago manufacturer Nathaniel Kellogg Fairbank purchased the lot in 1889, he was excited about the possibilities of his new cottage. Fairbank . . . — — Map (db m115121) HM
First Transcontinental Telephone call was submitted by a telephone of this type January 25, 1915. Mr. Theodore N. Vail, President American Telephone and Telegraph Company talked from Jekyll Island, Georgia to Mr. Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of . . . — — Map (db m18494) HM
The game of golf was originally mentioned among a variety of outdoor recreations when the Jekyll Island Club was formed in 1866. The first rounds were finally played on Jekyll Island in 1899. It was only the beginning of a long tradition of the . . . — — Map (db m119533) HM
William Horton, " Undersheriff of Herefordshire,"
England came to Georgia in 1736. He built this
building for his plantation residence and it was
his home until his death in 1749. Major Horton
succeeded Oglethorpe as Commander of the
Regiment . . . — — Map (db m18431) HM
William Horton worked and lived on this island until his death in 1748. He made numerous improvements to the land, unfortunately many of these buildings have been lost to time, and hidden by the sandy soil.
Horton . . . — — Map (db m17263) HM
By the end of the 18th century, William
Horton's small farm had become a large and
prosperous plantation. After Horton's death, the
island had several owners prior to the arrival
of Christophe Anne Poulain du Bignon in 1791.
Christophe . . . — — Map (db m17338) HM
Jekyll Island was vey isolated from St.
Simons and Brunswick in the 18th & 19th
centuries. Due to this isolation the du Bignon
family was mostly self-sufficient, as were
previous owners of the island such as William
Horton. What is now . . . — — Map (db m17445) HM
William Horton decided to travel to Georgia with General James Oglethorpe in 1735. Unlike many passengers on the ship, Symond, he paid for his passage to America from England. Horton was granted 500 acres in return for paying for his . . . — — Map (db m17342) HM
The plantation that Christophe Du Bignon
established at the beginning of the nineteeth
century had its good and bad years.
When Christophe's youngest son, Henri,
married Ann Amelia Nicolau in 1808, they were
given 40 acres of planted . . . — — Map (db m18617) HM
There is very little photo documentation of
exactly what the Boathouse looked like during
the Club era. Club members rarely would have
been found in this area, It was typically used
by year-round employees.
The only . . . — — Map (db m115065) HM
Here anchored the most luxurious pleasure craft in the world during the existence of the Jekyll Island Club, 1886-1942. No other yacht was comparable to John Pierpont Morgan's several Corsairs. Corsair II, too large to dock, anchored in the . . . — — Map (db m17405) HM
Horton - Du Bignon House
Du Bignon Burial Ground
Beginning with Poulain du Bignon, five du Bignon generations made Jekyll Island one of Georgia`s most romantic Golden Isles. This tabby ruin and burial ground alone remain from Jekyll Island's . . . — — Map (db m18497) HM
Melvin E. Thompson, Acting Governor, 1947-1949, was born in Millen, Jenkins County, Georgia, in 1903. After a career as educator and public servant, Thompson was elected Lieutenant Governor for the term beginning January, 1947. Following the death . . . — — Map (db m17207) HM
Born in England Came to Georgia in 1736 Died at Savannah in 1748
These are the remains of Horton's tabby house. Major Horton of Oglethorpe's Regiment, the first English resident of Jekyll Island, erected on the north end of Jekyll a . . . — — Map (db m17577) HM
What to do when you require privacy from the overflowing crowds of guests at the Clubhouse, but want to take advantage of its world-class French chef, new billiards wing, and the cheerful fireplace of the main parlor ? The answer for Henry B. . . . — — Map (db m75571) HM
By 1905, tennis was gaining popularity on the island over hunting. Robert Pruyn, chairman of the committee on golf and sports, said, "For two years, tennis has been the most popular outdoor sport," and requested additional courts to be . . . — — Map (db m115118) HM
Keeping the peace
as well as providing superior service was a difficult task. These two skills and countless other responsibilities were entrusted to the Club superintendent. Men such as J. P. Morgan, Joseph Pulitzer and Henry Hyde knew . . . — — Map (db m115112) HM
This burying ground contains the bodies of several members of the du Bignon family, descendants of Le Sieur Christophe Poulain de la Houssaye du Bignon, native of Saint-Malo in Brittany. One of four Frenchmen, former residents of Sapelo Island, who . . . — — Map (db m17509) HM
Chartered by the State of Georgia to be trustworthy stewards of the island, the Jekyll Island Authority has been very active in the preservation of the National Historic Landmark District. The rehabilitation of Crane Cottage and Cherokee in . . . — — Map (db m115119) HM
On October 23, 1958, a coal mining disaster in Springhill, Nova Scotia trapped 174 men underground. The coverage of this disaster was the first international event to be broadcast live on television.
In the hope of harnessing the media . . . — — Map (db m115128) HM
On March 6, 1948, Jekyll Island opened as a state park for the citizens of Georgia. However, the new public seashore was not available to everyone, at first. Because of segregation, African Americans could not visit many areas of Jekyll Island, . . . — — Map (db m115135) HM
Tabby was the building material for walls, floors, and roofs widely used throughout coastal Georgia during the Military and Plantation Eras. It was composed of equal parts of sand, lime, oyster shell and water mixed into a mortar and poured into . . . — — Map (db m17578) HM
With a family of eight Charles Stewart Maurice quickly decided accommodations of the Club House would not suffice. In 1890 he built Hollybourne, with plenty of large open, informal spaces, a home away from home during their winter stays here . . . — — Map (db m115056) HM
Edwin Gould purchased Chichota cottage within 5 days of his first visit to Jekyll Island in December of 1900. He quickly began modifying the cottage for his familys arrival in March. Edwin made a commitment to the Island, purchasing several . . . — — Map (db m72663) HM
The Beach Pavilion in front of you opened on September 25, 1955 to great fanfare, as St. Andrews Beach became the first public beach in Georgia to welcome African Americans. Celebrations included a motorcade, dedication ceremony, and music by the . . . — — Map (db m115137) HM
This is the site of the Jekyll Island Club Boat House where the 100 foot steamer The Jekyll Island was stored during the off season. (The Club season was usually from after New Years until before Easter).
There was no Jekyll Creek bridge . . . — — Map (db m17462) HM
The Executive Committee hired architect Charles Alexander to design the Clubhouse. He designed the building in a Queen Anne style that complemented the natural beauty of the island and emphasized the rustic simplicity that the Jekyll Island Club . . . — — Map (db m115117) HM
From 1959 to 1966, the Dolphin Club Lounge provided lively entertainment for visitors to the historically black St. Andrews Beach.
Juke joints like this one once stretched across the southeastern United States. On remote Jekyll Island, the . . . — — Map (db m115141) HM
The St. Andrews Beach Corporation formed in early 1956 to build a motel and restaurant here on Jekyll Island's once segregated South End. The company included many successful black business owners from Brunswick. In partnership with the Jekyll . . . — — Map (db m115139) HM
On the Move
When first constructed in 1890, Furness Cottage stood as a lone sentry in the southern portion of the Club compound.
The growing popularity of cottage construction led to its first move, off of Riverview Drive.
. . . — — Map (db m115114) HM
The Skeet House is not in its original location, but stands as a symbol of the core philosophy that the Jekyll Island Club was founded upon – outdoor recreation.
The Skeet House, along with the Skeet and Trap Range, was constructed in . . . — — Map (db m81699) HM
Within sight and sound of St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island was ideal for entertaining Spanish visitors to the settlement at Frederica. Major William Horton, resident of the island, received the guests
while Oglethorpe on St. Simons, with cannon . . . — — Map (db m17281) HM
Early in the morning, early in the century, it happened: Solterra caught fire. Built by charter member Frederick Baker in 1890, the house was an emblem of the nineteenth century: proper, discrete, upright. The old century seemed to be going . . . — — Map (db m72668) HM
Great Dunes Park is named for the historic Great Dunes Golf Course, designed by Walter Travis. Travis was considered the most successful amateur golfer in the United States during the 1900s and 1910s. The golf course was an 18-hole course placed . . . — — Map (db m115154) HM