Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jennerstown, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Forbes Road Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 7, 2009
Forbes Road Marker
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Jennerstown — Forbes Road The Clear Fields
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) near Willison Road, on the right when traveling west.
Good forage found at open camps such as this on the Raystown Path, led General Forbes to prefer this route to Braddock's Road. Site of Fort Dudgeon (Tomahawk Camp) is a short distance to the north. — Map (db m52702) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Jennerstown — Forbes Road 1758 Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne —
On Klines Mill Road at Sliding Rock Road, on the left when traveling west on Klines Mill Road.
Tomahawk Encampment At foot of Laurel Hill the Forbes Road leads northwestward to Fort Ligonier 35.5 miles from Fort Bedford — Map (db m52703) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Jennerstown — Frederick S. Duesenberg (1878-1932)
On Lincoln Highway (U.S. 30) at Sliding Rock Road, on the right when traveling west on Lincoln Highway.
Near this site on July 2, 1932, the builder of Duesenberg luxury automobiles was seriously injured when his supercharged Model J crashed into the mountainside. He died on July 26 at Memorial Hospital of Johnstown. — Map (db m60148) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Jennerstown — Highway Attractions Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor
Tourists took to the roads in the 1910s, '20s, and '30s not just to exercise their automobile, but to see the country, take in scenic wonders, connect with history, be entertained, and create family memories. Stopping for food and entertainment . . . — Map (db m52700) HM
Pennsylvania (Somerset County), Jennerstown — Log Grist Mill
On Somerset Pike (Pennsylvania Route 985) at Log Cabin Road, on the right when traveling north on Somerset Pike.
This reconstructed early log mill was built originally at Roxbury by a miller named Cronin in 1805. It was in operation until 1918. It is now used as the Mountain Playhouse. As restored, it is a fine example of an early mill. — Map (db m52677) HM

5 markers matched your search criteria.  
 
Paid Advertisement