Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kearneysville, West Virginia Historical Markers

 
Stone House Mansion Marker image, Touch for more information
By Devry Becker Jones, April 15, 2019
Stone House Mansion Marker
West Virginia (Berkeley County), Kearneysville — Stone House Mansion West Virginia 9 Charles Town to Martinsburg —
Stone House Mansion, predominantly Georgian in style, was constructed in 1757, and is one of the oldest stone structures in Berkeley County. The property is listed in the National Register of Historic Places for its association with the Hite vs. . . . — Map (db m132442) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Kearneysville — "Prato Rio"
Home of General Charles Lee, built on land bought in 1774. Lee, colonel in British army, resigned his commission and joined the colonists after Battle of Lexington. On this estate, the U.S. Government maintains a fish hatchery. — Map (db m12069) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Kearneysville — "Travelers' Rest"
Home of Gen. Horatio Gates, built on land bought, 1763. Gates, once a British officer, joined the Revolutionary Army, and was the leader of the Continentals in decisive victory over Gen. Burgoyne at Saratoga. (1/2 Mi. S. W.) — Map (db m12068) HM
West Virginia (Jefferson County), Kearneysville — “The Bower”
Three miles west, on Opequon Creek, lived General Adam Stephen, 1754–1772. Original tract, with hunting lodge, was bought in 1750. The present mansion was built by Adam Stephen Dandridge, his grandson, in 1805. — Map (db m1746) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement