Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Keedysville, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Army Headquarters Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, August 13, 2013
Army Headquarters Marker
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Army Headquarters
Gen. George McClellan used the Pry House as the headquarters for the Union Army of the Potomac. Officers brought some of the Pry furniture out on the lawn. There eyewitnesses described a “small redan built of fence rails” with telescopes . . . — Map (db m40447) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Civil War Hospital SiteSamuel Pry Mill
Civil War Hospital Site Samuel Pry Mill Was used as a hospital during The Maryland Campaign 1862 Private Property courtesy of S.H.A.F. — Map (db m3203) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Felfoot Bridge
Built in 1854 by George Burgan for $1,550, this bridge spans Little Antietam Creek and stands on "Felfoot" a tract of land originally surveyed in 1734 and patented to Thomas Swearingen in 1737. An unusual feature of this bridge is the squared . . . — Map (db m4929) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Hess’s Mill Bridge
This two-arch bridge was built by John Weaver in 1832. It is unique in that one arch is so much larger than the other. The smaller arch may have accommodated the millrace which was located on that side of the Little Antietam and served the mill that . . . — Map (db m2003) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Hitt Bridge
This three-arch span with its unusually high center arch was built in 1830 over a ford in the Antietam Creek that was used by Braddock's army in 1755. Samuel Hitt was instrumental in financing this bridge, which was built by Silas Harry, as agent . . . — Map (db m3201) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Hitt-Cost House
The main timber-frame portion of the house was built by the Hitt family before 1790. A log addition was added in the 1830's by the Cost family, nearly doubling the size of the house. After the battle of Antietam, it was used as a hospital and later . . . — Map (db m6777) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — KeedysvilleHeadquarters and Hospital Town — Antietam Campaign 1862
After the Battle of South Mountain ended around nightfall on September 14, 1862, many Confederates marched by here. The next day, Gen. George B. McClellan’s Army of the Potomac arrived, and McClellan established his headquarters here in the German . . . — Map (db m1640) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Keedysville District World War II Memorial
Honor Roll In memory of those from the Keedysville District who served their country in World War II 1941 – 1945 * Gerald Baker       * Ernest L. Eavey, Jr. * Roger Easterday       * Gardner Lapole John Benner • Roger Burtner • Arlington . . . — Map (db m41733) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Keedysville Korea & Vietnam Memorial
This memorial dedicated in honor and memory of all our veterans who served in Korea and Vietnam. May God bless them all. — Map (db m41732) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Keedysville World War I Memorial
Erected by the citizens of the community in recognition of the patriotism shown by our boys who answered our country’s call in the World War 1917 – 1919. Killed in Action Private Reno Emory Wyand Served with Distincton . . . — Map (db m41730) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Pry Family Upheaval
A knock on the door on September 16, 1862, forever changed the lives of Philip and Elizabeth Pry. For almost twenty years, the Prys prospered on this 140-acre farm along Antietam Creek while raising their family of six children. With Confederate . . . — Map (db m40445) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Pry Mill
The 20.25 acre property on Little Antietam Creek was bequeathed to Samuel Merritt Hitt by Robert Smith on October 28, 1818. A two-story, two-section grist and sawmill was constructed about 1820 by Hitt, who diverted the established road so traffic . . . — Map (db m3202) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Pry’s Mill Bridge
This two-arch bridge was built over the Little Antietam Creek by George Burgan for $1,650 in 1858. Its cutwaters, the upstream pier bulwarks designed to divide the current and break up ice flows and log jams, are unique in that they are shaped like . . . — Map (db m2004) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement