The site on which Kendleton now stands was originally a Mexican land grant to settler Elizabeth Powell, whose house was an early-day stage stop.
During the Texas Revolution, in 1836, Santa Anna's Mexican Army camped near here. Later the . . . — — Map (db m4419) HM
Kendleton was originally a large plantation area of land in the western section of Fort Bend County. During the Reconstruction Era, free Negroes from Colorado and Washington Counties developed a colony of 100-acre plots. Having relocated several . . . — — Map (db m14126) HM
William E. Kendall, an Anglo lawyer from Richmond, Texas, subdivided his plantation here into 100-acre farm tracts in 1869. He sold the land exclusively to Freedmen and by the 1880s a distinctly African American community named Kendleton had . . . — — Map (db m4971) HM