Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kilmarnock, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Ditchley and Cobbs Marker image, Touch for more information
By J. J. Prats, November 9, 2009
Ditchley and Cobbs Marker
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — J-88 — Ditchley and Cobbs
Ditchley, five miles northeast, was patented in 1651 by Colonel Richard Lee. The first house dated from 1687, the present house was built by Kendall Lee in 1752. Cobbs Hall, near by, was acquired by Richard Lee, probably before 1651. A house . . . — Map (db m24475) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — J-108 — Dr. Morgan E. Norris(c. 1883-1966)
Dr. Morgan E. Norris, a Lancaster native and the Northern Neck’s first black physician, practiced medicine at this site 1917-1964. He opened to all races specialty surgical clinics, bringing enhanced medical care to the lower Northern Neck. In 1928 . . . — Map (db m97210) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — J-89 — First American Woman Missionary to China
Here was born, October 28, 1817, Henrietta Hall (daughter of Colonel Addison Hall), first American woman missionary to China. She married Rev. J. Lewis Shuck, and was sent with him to China by the Baptist Board of Foreign Missions, arriving there in . . . — Map (db m24248) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — Hughlett Point Natural Area Preserve204 Acres
Hughlett Point Natural Area Preserve is situated on a small peninsula on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The preserve contains tidal and non-tidal wetlands, and exemplary undeveloped beach and low dunes, and upland forest communities. It is . . . — Map (db m97241) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — Jessie Ball duPont(1884-1970)
Well known for her contributions to this area of Virginia, Jessie Ball duPont (nee Jessie Dew Ball) was born on Ball family property about one mile north of Hughlett Point. Schoolteacher She was the first teacher at Shiloh School in . . . — Map (db m97240) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — J-104 — Kilmarnock
Kilmarnock was called “the Crossroads” about 1664, because multiple thoroughfares crossed here. By the middle of the 18th century, the community was named Steptoe’s Ordinary for a storehouse and tavern owned by William Steptoe I. About . . . — Map (db m24218) HM
Virginia (Lancaster County), Kilmarnock — Shiloh School1906-1929
National Registry of Historical Places — Map (db m97243)
Virginia (Northumberland County), Kilmarnock — JX-5 — Morattico Baptist Church
On the hill is Morattico Church, organized in 1778, the mother Baptist church of the Northern Neck. The present building was erected in 1856. Lewis Lunsford, first pastor, is buried here. — Map (db m24477) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement