Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Kingsbury, New York Historical Markers

 
Burgoyne's Army Marker image, Touch for more information
By John Arsenault, December 7, 2012
Burgoyne's Army Marker
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Burgoyne's Army
Marched through this hamlet in July 1777 to a camp site at the Jones farm 3 miles to the west of the park. — Map (db m58079) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Kingsbury Street
The first settler of this neighborhood was Oliver Colvin, who came here in 1766, and was the second pioneer of the Town of Kingsbury. At one time there were two churches, a school, Post Office, several taverns, hotels, stores, and mills located in . . . — Map (db m61653) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Patten's Mills Cemetery or Harris Cemetery
The first burial here is believed to be John Jones, who was the first settler of the Town of Kingsbury to pass away here, 1772. There are veterans of the Revolutionary War and Civil War, buried in this cemetery. Maintained by the Town of . . . — Map (db m61655) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Smith's Basin
Named for Ezekiel Smith, c. 1825. He and his brother Israel operated a store and tavern in the hamlet. At one time there were several hotels, stores, a school, Post Office, a church and railroad station in the neighborhood. There was a canal boat . . . — Map (db m61659) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Underground Railway Marker
This stone chair was placed a few yards from this spot in 1841. Who placed it here and why is unknown. However, it may have been a guide post for the Underground Railway. The drawings below were carved on the back of the chair. — Map (db m61649) HM
New York (Washington County), Kingsbury — Vaughn's Corners
Named for William Vaughn, who opened a store and tavern at the corners around 1800. Until the late 1830's a Post Office was located here. A masonic Lodge was held at the corners, starting in 1820, in the home of Salmasius Bardwell. — Map (db m61658) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement