Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Klamath Falls, Oregon Historical Markers

 
Applegate Trail Marker image, Touch for more information
By Douglass Halvorsen, June 9, 2012
Applegate Trail Marker
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — A-53 — Applegate Trail
The trail in 1846 and later years, crossed the California-Oregon state line gap 1/4 mile east — Map (db m112710) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Beginning of a TrailThe OC&E Line
"To know the Oregon, California & Eastern Railway, one must imagine conditions in Oregon in the early 1900's." David F. Myrick, "Oregon, California & Eastern" A century ago, the Klamath Basin held an inventory of nearly 35 billion . . . — Map (db m112892) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Competing AttractionsAt Olene Gap
At this narrow point where Lost River flows westerly toward Tule Lake, there is a conjunction of historical events. "Olene" in the Klamath (native American) language means "eddy place." For hundreds, perhaps thousands of years, this site was an . . . — Map (db m112891) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Denny Creek
Here John C. Fremont camped on his second journey of exploration in May of 1846, was attacked by Indians and lost three men for one of whom he named the stream — Map (db m100269) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — EulalonaIndian Village
A Populous Settlement On Both Sides Of The River Before The White Man's Era — Map (db m100205) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — George NurseCity Father - Arrived 1866
This Memorial is Dedicated to George Nurse Accomplishments 1867 - 1869 - 1878 Opened First Trading Post Built the Bridge Across Link River Platted Town and Called it Linkville Donated the Land For the First Cemetery The First . . . — Map (db m113635) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — George Nurse (In Memory of)June 4, 1820-November 26, 1895 — Founder and Benefactor of Linkville - (Klamath Falls)
Rafted lumber down Upper Klamath Lake and built first buildings on this site, 1867. Registered first official plat of town, 1878. Was Linkville's first hotel keeper, postmaster, and livery stable operator. Gave building lots to people who . . . — Map (db m113638) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Henley School World War II Memorial
Dedicated To The Memory Of James.O.Mckeehan       Bob Cameron Charles Semon       Bob Hamilton Lloyd Barnes       Rollo Cheyne Robert Bunnell Who Gave Their Lives In World War II — Map (db m113258) WM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Klamath County's First White Settler
Wendolen Nus occupied this site in 1866-1867. Nus was a civilian casualty at the beginning of the Modoc War — Map (db m100292) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Locomotive 2579
Locomotive #2579 is a typical example of over 350 small steam locomotives called “Consolidations” that were used by the Southern Pacific Railroad from the early 1900s well into the 1950s. During their time she and her sisters were . . . — Map (db m99216) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Lost River Gap and Ford
Used by Indians; by Hudson's Bay trappers; by covered wagons; by Fremont 1846; by railroad survey party 1855; by soldiers at Fort Klamath. Site of the Modoc Indian conference in hope of averting war with that tribe; of the first water wheel; of the . . . — Map (db m100223) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Marion Apartments
Established as a premiere apartment building, the Marion opened its doors in 1928. The property is listed in Salem, Oregon with the state historical society. It was designed by a San Francisco based architect, and built by a contractor also from . . . — Map (db m100263) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Merganser
Location of a rival town to Linkville. Founded in 1870. Out of existence by 1880. — Map (db m100202) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Merganser
Pioneer village founded in 1870. A rival town of Linkville and the first platted in Klamath County. Named after the merganser ducks on Klamath River. A bridge-crossing made it an important trade route. The town served as a settler defense rendezvous . . . — Map (db m116786) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Mt. Laki Community Presbyterian Church World War II Memorial
The Chapel of This Church Was Erected by The Henry Semon Family In Memory Of Charles H. Semon     Bob Hamilton Robert Bunnell     Rollo B. Cheyne Lloyd C. Barnes     Robert Cameron James O. Mckeehan Schoolmates Who Gave . . . — Map (db m113905) WM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Oregon History - Upper Klamath Lake
This is Oregon's largest body of water, about 90,000 acres. Indians inhabiting its shores ("People of the Lake") lived well on wild fowl, fish and wocus seeds. The first known white visitors (1825-26) were Hudson's Bay trappers under Tom McKay and . . . — Map (db m100204) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Pioneer Furtrader
Martin R. Frain born December 17, 1832 in New York, came west in 1850, arrived in Oregon Territory April 30, 1857 crossed Link river and camped under a ledge nearby. Established the first Trading Post at the present area of Payne Alley and Main . . . — Map (db m100207) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Stephen Tyng Mather — July 4, 1867 - Jan. 22, 1930
He laid the foundation of the National Park Service, defining and establishing the policies under which its areas shall be developed and conserved unimpaired for future generations. There will never come an end to the good that he has done. — Map (db m79277) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Stukel Ranch1868
First ranch east of Linkville- stopover place for travelers. — Map (db m100293) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Swede’s Cut
An Engineer’s Moment “Every curve, every switch has a story that goes with it...” Donovan Gray, “Oregon, California & Eastern” (1990) For most of its first thirty miles, the OC&E follows gentle grades to . . . — Map (db m114191) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — The Legacy LinkRestoring the Lake Shoreline and Wetlands
The City of Klamath Falls in cooperation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board, and Oregon Wild re-established a lake fringe wetland at Marina 1 in Moore Park in 2012. The purpose of the project is to lessen . . . — Map (db m112876) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — The River LinkLink River Connecting the Past With the Present
The town of Linkville was founded along the lower end of the Link River on March 12, 1867, by pioneer settler George Nurse. By July of 1869, this pioneer used timber to construct the first bridge linking one side of the river to the other. A steel . . . — Map (db m112877) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade
In 1846, first crossed the Applegate Trail. The Southern Wagon Road and Topsy Road made original junction. An Indian Trail, at first; then the Soldiers traversed these roads and in 1863, the Pony Express Trail was used to carry messages from Fort . . . — Map (db m100225) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Upper Klamath Lake
This is Oregon's largest body of water, about 90,000 acres. Indians inhabiting its shores ("People of the Lake") lived well on wild fowl, fish and wocus seeds. The first known white visitors (1825-26) were Hudson's Bay trappers under Tom McKay and . . . — Map (db m112525) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Van Brimmer Cabin 1864-1928
Originally built as a milkhouse straddling willow creek, this structure was located on the Van Brimmer Ranch, west of Tulelake, California, 13 miles from the Modoc Stronghold, Lava Beds. During the Modoc Indian War of 1872-73, the cabin was . . . — Map (db m100265) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m113195) HM WM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — White Lake City
Site of a famous promotional boom town. Founded in 1905. Out of existence by 1918. — Map (db m112708) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Whitlock House
This building was erected as a residence in 1927 by then property owner Earl Whitlock. Mr. Whitlock, who moved to Klamath Falls in 1905, was a local mortician and the Klamath County Coroner from 1909-1932. H.E. Roskamp was the general contractor, . . . — Map (db m100262) HM

28 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.