Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lakeland, Florida Historical Markers

 
320th Bombardment Group (M) Marker with terminal in background image, Touch for more information
By Tim Fillmon, April 24, 2014
320th Bombardment Group (M) Marker with terminal in background
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — 320th Bombardment Group (M)
When Drane Field opened during World War II, the first combat-bound Air Force unit to train here was the 320th Bombardment Group (M), flying B-26 Marauder medium bombers. The Group arrived here August 7, 1942, after having been activated at MacDill . . . — Map (db m93357) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-52 — Acton Community
In 1884, a group of Englishmen established Acton, named after English author Lord Acton, two miles east of Lakeland. Acton lasted from 1884 until 1894 when its residents scattered after the great freeze. During its decade of existence the town had . . . — Map (db m51543) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — PCHC-016 — Circle B Bar Ranch
The shore of Lake Hancock was home to this region's first settlers. In 1949, Al and Betty Bellotto bought a portion of this property and founded the Cattle B Bar Ranch. Their success in the citrus and cattle industries and desire to conserve open . . . — Map (db m94176) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Lodwick School of Aeronautics
On September 14, 1940, the Lodwick School of Aeronautics began flight instruction in Lakeland by contract with the United States Army Air Corps. Owned and operated by Albert Irvin Lodwick, the school had an initial enrollment of 40 cadets, a peak . . . — Map (db m94173) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Munn Park
Munn Park was established in 1884 as a town square in Lakeland's first subdivision, the original Munn's Subdivision. Later the entire block was dedicated by Abraham Munn as a "Public Square" in perpetuity, to forever remain in public ownership. . . . — Map (db m53649) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Munn Park Historic District
The Munn Park Historic District contains the area's largest concentration of early commercial buildings and public spaces. The development of the district spans the entire history of Lakeland with the first major settlement beginning in 1885. The . . . — Map (db m53647) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Polk County Confederate MonumentCSA — 1861      1865
Confederate Dead (Left face) In memory of that noble band, who have crossed the mystic stream, and are resting now in that happy land, where peace and pleasure reign supreme. The heroic deeds will never fade, from memory's brightest . . . — Map (db m54454) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — 93000446 — Polk Theatre and Office Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m53623) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — Second Mass. Infantry CampMay 17-30, 1898
Camp Massachusetts, one of the five encampments in Lakeland during the Spanish-American War, bordered part of Lake Morton. Pvt. Wesley S. Brass, of Company I, died here and was given "a funeral that a Marshal of France might have deserved..." The . . . — Map (db m51437) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — PCHC-019 — The Carpenters' Home
The Carpenters' Home was the retirement home for members of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America from 1929 to 1976. The Union completed the purchase of the 1,684 acre site in April 1924. Costing $632,393, the site included 594 . . . — Map (db m100435) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-275 — The Frank Lloyd Wright Campus of Florida Southern College
At Florida Southern College is located the largest collection of buildings on one site ever created by Frank Lloyd Wright, one of America's foremost architects. Wright's plan for the campus is the only tangible example of his community planning . . . — Map (db m13632) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — The Oates Building
    The Oates Building is a prime example of Florida "Boom Time" architecture, expressed in the Mediterranean Revival style. Built in 1925 by Mr. Alvah Y. Oates, the building was designed by noted Florida and local architect E.C. . . . — Map (db m55289) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-457 — The Sorosis Club Building
In 1922 the Sorosis Club or sorority, a women's club in Lakeland, was organized. Named after the first incorporated women's club in America, the Sorosis Club of New York, the Sorosis Club's mission included service to the community, as well as . . . — Map (db m51933) HM
Florida (Polk County), Lakeland — F-414 — The Women's Club of Lakeland59 Lake Morton Drive
The Women’s Club of Lakeland was organized in 1912. In 1923 the club purchased this property as the site for its clubhouse. W.B.Talley, a Lakeland architect, designed this colonial revival building in 1927 and in 1928 construction was completed by . . . — Map (db m67657) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement