Arthur "Kit" Murray was instrumental in pioneering the techniques of air-to-air fueling and the development of talk-down techniques for landing experimental aircraft. As a Flight Test Pilot at Edwards AFB, he flew programs on the X-1A and X-5, flew . . . — — Map (db m66498) HM
Colonel Stephens distinguished himself in flight test, flying nearly all of the jet fighter aircraft from the F-80 Shooting Star to the F-106 Delta Dart. He graduated from the Experimental Test Pilot School in 1949.
Called the . . . — — Map (db m79153) HM
The Flight Test Mission Control Center at Edwards Air Force Base is named for Colonel Ridley who lost his life in 1957 in the crash of a C-47 aircraft while serving on the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group in Japan.
Ridley was a pioneer . . . — — Map (db m66504) HM
Colonel Jacobs received the Legion of Merit for meritorious service as Director and test pilot on the C-5A Test Force. It was at the time, one of the world's largest aircraft.
During his 46 years in aerospace, Jacobs logged more than 10,600 . . . — — Map (db m66503) HM
This F/A-18 Hornet (bureau Number 161214) is a pre-production A-Model airplane whose first prototype rolled out of the McDonnell Douglas Plant on September 13, 1978. The Carrier-based Navel strike fighter did not become operational for several years . . . — — Map (db m52887) HM
Panel 1: On loan from the United States Air Force, this F-4 Phantom II was acquired on November 7, 2001 from Edwards Air Force Base and transported to the Boeing Company facility at USAF Plant 42. Boeing volunteers worked many hours to . . . — — Map (db m51280) HM
Fred Haise is best known as the Lunar Module Pilot who, in 1970, was a crewmember on the dramatic Apollo 13 aborted lunar mission. Due to an oxygen tank explosion, the crew had to utilize the Lunar Module "Aquarius" as a lifeboat. This mission will . . . — — Map (db m69508) HM
As Northrop’s Chief Test Pilot for advanced fighter aircraft, Hank Chouteau helped develop dozens of new or modified aircraft, participating in aircraft design, development, test flights and marketing.
Chouteau logged more than 7,300 flight . . . — — Map (db m66501) HM
John Manke was a NASA Research Pilot for more than 11 years and has flown over 4,500 hours. His career was highlighted by NASA research flights to test lifting body aircraft, preparing the way for the Space Shuttle and follow-on space programs. . . . — — Map (db m66505) HM
Jack McKay died in 1975--20 years to the day after his first rocket flight. He had retired from NASA four years earlier, climaxing a 20-year flying career at Edwards in which he become one of the Center’s most experienced rocket pilots. In the 50's . . . — — Map (db m66496) HM
This monument is dedicated to
the brave men and women that honorable served
in the Armed Forces of the United States of America
in time of peace, wars and conflict.
The freedom of this great nation is only possible
because of the sacrifice of . . . — — Map (db m66336) WM
Colonel Ferry distinguished himself in helicopters. Although he began his career as a fighter pilot, he became expert in helicopters, where he made his mark in 24 years of flight testing. He has flown 10,800 hours in 125 different aircraft, nearly . . . — — Map (db m79154) HM
Jimmy Doolittle played an important role in the development of Air Force research at Edwards AFB. He was one of the founding fathers of Systems Command Air Force Research and Development Command. Through the late 1980's, Doolittle made annual visits . . . — — Map (db m69509) HM
Thomas McMurtry logged over 11,000 hours of flying time since earning his pilot's wings in 1958. A graduate of the United States Naval Test Pilot School, he flew the U-2, X-246, F-8A, AD-1, YF-12C, F-104, F-15 and NASA 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft. . . . — — Map (db m66507) HM
"....the privileges of being an American" belong to those brave enough to fight for them."
Gen. Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.
In our tradition of honoring American aviators who have flown into the pages of history, the City of Lancaster . . . — — Map (db m53030) HM
This buiding, erected by the Gilroy family in 1876, this building was purchased in 1902 by George T. Webber, who operated it as the Western Hotel. The Lancaster Chamber of Commerce was organized in its dining room. Between 1905 and 1913, . . . — — Map (db m53028) HM