Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Las Vegas, Nevada Historical Markers

 
Nevada Celebrates Filmmaking Marker image, Touch for more information
By Denise Boose, March 7, 2012
Nevada Celebrates Filmmaking Marker
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 13 — "Bugsy" — Nevada Celebrates Filmmaking
Flashy end-credit sequence filmed here at the Flamingo Hilton Stars Warren Beatty, Annette Bening (1991) — Map (db m53375) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Aladdin's Lamp — Circa 1966 — Neon Museum —
Aladdin's Lamp was originally installed in 1966 at the Aladdin Hotel, 3667 Las Vegas Boulevard South. Restored through a generous donation from Richard Schuetz and presented as a gift, with love, to Mayor Jan Laverty Jones and her children: . . . — Map (db m64033) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Auction Site
On May 15, 1905, in this area, The City of Las Vegas was founded with the auction of lots in Clark's Las Vegas Townsite by San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad and Las Vegas Land & Water Company, predecessors of Union Pacific Railroad and . . . — Map (db m47732) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Auction Site / First Train Depot
This is a two sided marker Side A: Auction Site At this site on May 15th 1905, the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad auctioned off lots for the creation of the new city of Las Vegas. With 110 degree temperatures scorching . . . — Map (db m47736) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 16 — Biltmore Village — 1942
This WWII neighborhood was named for the Nevada Biltmore Hotel which opened nearby in 1942. A WWII housing shortage called for the construction of several hundred homes for military personnel and their families. The federal government approved the . . . — Map (db m51057) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 3 — Binion House — 1942
Colorful Horseshoe Club owner Benny Binion and his family lived here from 1947 to 1989. Originally built in 1942 by service station owner C.A. Morehouse, the home was one of the largest in Las Vegas with three bedrooms, several baths, a large . . . — Map (db m51045) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Block 16
The notorious Block 16, North First Street between Ogden and Stewart Avenues, was the only area in the Las Vegas Townsite, outside of hotels, where liquor could be sold, starting in 1905. The block quickly changed from its original liquor and . . . — Map (db m47859) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Chief Hotel Court — Circa 1940 — Neon Museum —
The Chief Hotel Court sign was originally installed around 1940 at the hotel located at 1201 E. Fremont Street. Hotel architect was A. Lacey Worshwick. Loaned and refurbished by the Tiberti Family. Installed as part of the Neon Museum on . . . — Map (db m64031) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 10 — Christensen House "The Castle" — 1935
This fairy-tale residence reflects the unique family that built it, whose roots stretch back to a pioneering Utah Mormon blacksmith, ranchers in Idaho and Nevada, and railroad workers in Las Vegas. The life of Las Vegas pioneer Lucretia Tanner . . . — Map (db m51052) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — County Courthouses
On May 15, 1905 Senator William Clark's railroad auctioned off lots to found the new town of Las Vegas. Block 20, between Second and Third and Carson and Bridger, was reserved for public purposes. In 1909 when the state legislature created Clark . . . — Map (db m47822) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — El Portal Theatre — "The Gateway"
Built • 1927-28 Architect: Charles Alexander MacNelledge Opened June 21, 1928 This building was Las Vegas' cultural center for many years. Its 700 seat auditorium and elegant Spanish motif lobby were used for films, plays, music recitals, . . . — Map (db m47745) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — First Church Built in Las Vegas — 1905 - 2005
Building Rededication Honoring the 100th Year Anniversary of the First Church Built in Las Vegas presiding Honorable Mayor Oscar B Goodman December 13, 2005 — Map (db m47756) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 170 — First Las Vegas Post Office
John Steele, one of the original L. D. S. missionaries, secured a mail grant for the Las Vegas Mission. The documents to establish the Post Office, and, appointing William Bringhurst Postmaster, were brought from Salt Lake City by Benjamin H Hulse, . . . — Map (db m29294) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — First Water Company
1905 - 1908 City of Las Vegas Diamond Jubilee From within this area flowing artesian springs and wells provided the lifeblood to the valley and it settlers. This abundant supply of water has been the most important asset in the . . . — Map (db m47888) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Fremont Street
This is a two sided marker Side A: Standing on Fremont Street today, it's hard to visualize the canvas tents with hand-painted wooden signs that lined this dusty street and served as hotels, saloons, shops and banks in the early 1900's. . . . — Map (db m47754) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Gaming / Helldorado
This is a two sided marker Side A: Gaming Like most western frontier towns, gambling was prevalent in the backrooms of early Las Vegas saloons and other establishments. From its inception as a railroad town in 1905, the citizens . . . — Map (db m47737) HM
Nevada (Clark county), Las Vegas — Green Shack
Opened around 1931 by Mrs. Mattie "Jimmy" Jones, the Green Shack restaurant was a town landmark at this site. The restaurant opened in a Union Pacific Railroad barracks building that was moved here; in 1934 additions were made to the structure. For . . . — Map (db m47894) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 8 — Harrison Boarding House — 1933
Black entertainers were not allowed to stay at the Strip hotels where they performed in the 1940s and 1950s. Mrs. Harrison's boarding house offered fine accomodations for many of the era's most famous stars. During one memorable week in . . . — Map (db m51050) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Historic 5th Street School
The following text is from a missing 2005 Centennial Marker. Fifth Street School This graceful Mission-Style complex was built by the federal government in 1936 to replace the Las Vegas elementary school, which burned down in 1934. In . . . — Map (db m48196) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Historic Light Standard — Historic Site
This light standard was placed at the entrance to the Las Vegas Union Pacific Railroad Station in 1937. The Depot was removed in 1970 to make way for the Union Plaza Hotel. Mr. Frank Scott, Chairman of The Board of Union Plaza Hotel preserved this . . . — Map (db m47734) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Historic Preservation
Las Vegas was established as a railroad town in 1905; at the head of Fremont Street, the Mission-style depot represented the railroad's dominance over the economic and social life of the town for several decades. The streets of downtown were laid . . . — Map (db m47860) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 9 — Jackson Street Commercial District — 1942
Commerce on the Westside was short lived, collapsing in 1905 when rival Las Vegas Townsite opened on the east side of the railroad tracks. In 1942, the Westside defined a new commercial district to serve the ethnic population of the area. The . . . — Map (db m51051) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Jerry's Nugget
This Jerry's Nugget cabinet rotated atop a vertical tower of letters spelling "Nugget", advertising the popular North Las Vegas local's casino. Circa 1970s, the sign incorporates skeleton neon and hand lettering for lively day and night viewing. . . . — Map (db m92471) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 4 — Kim Produce Farm — 1932
Here in the 1930s and 1940s, Korean immigrant Frank Kim raised melons, tomatoes, and onions. His devoted son, Frank Kim, Jr. became a pillar of the community. From the early days of Las Vegas, Asian [...] considerable skill to make poor desert . . . — Map (db m51046) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 40 — Las Vegas (The Meadows)
The famous Las Vegas Springs rose from the desert floor here, sending two streams of water across the valley to nurture the native grasses, and create lush meadows in the valley near Sunrise Mountain. The natural oasis of meadow and mesquite forest . . . — Map (db m131317) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 40 — Las Vegas Fort
In 1855 Pres. Brigham Young appointed a company of men under the leadership of William Bringhurst to establish a colony at Las Vegas. The company left Salt Lake May 10 and arrived at Las Vegas June 14, 1855 and camped near this site. William . . . — Map (db m29292) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Las Vegas High School — "Las Vegas Academy"
Las Vegas High School "Las Vegas Academy" Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior 1931 — Map (db m48197) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Las Vegas High School / Las Vegas High School Neighborhood
This is a two sided marker Side A: Las Vegas High School As the population of Las Vegas increased throughout the 1920s and the construction of Hoover Dam was assured, many saw the need for a new high school. Principal Maude Frazier . . . — Map (db m47886) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Las Vegas' Most Historic Hotel & Casino
1906 – 2006 One Hundredth Anniversary Celebration Golden Gate Hotel & Casino One Fremont Street — Map (db m47742) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 13 — Las Vegas Paiute Colony — 1911
The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) bought this ten-acre site in 1911 from Helen J. Stewart, former owner of the Las Vegas Ranch, to provide a home for the Southern Paiute Indians living in and near Las Vegas. With this purchase, the government . . . — Map (db m51055) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Las Vegas Springs
The San Pedro, Salt Lake and Los Angeles Railroad bought Helen Stewart's Las Vegas Ranch in 1902, giving it control of the Las Vegas Springs and the water supply needed for the creation of Las Vegas in 1905. The railroad's subsidiary, the Las Vegas . . . — Map (db m50274) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 1 — Las Vegas Springs — 8000 B.P.
Bubbling artesian springs flowed here until they were exhausted in the middle of the 20th century, over-pumped to serve the city's growing population. These springs and the creek they created gave life to the center of the valley. They erupted . . . — Map (db m51043) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 2 — Lorenzi Park — 1926
Lorenzi Lake, the dream of pioneer David G. Lorenzi, opened as a private resort in 1926, became the Twin Lakes Lodge in the 1940s, and a public park in 1966. Arriving in southern Nevada in 1911, Lorenzi began building his park on 80 acres of . . . — Map (db m51044) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Mary Dutton Park — Gateway to the Historic John S. Park Neighborhood
The City of Las Vegas Mayor and City Council presents An Art in Public Places Project by The City of Las Vegas Arts Commission In celebration of the Las Vegas Centennial Sculpture by Steven Liguori "Breaking Ground" This 14' high . . . — Map (db m47890) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 6 — McWilliams' Townsite — 1905
Created by J.T. McWilliams in 1905, the Original Las Vegas Townsite was Las Vegas' first business and residential development. J.T. McWilliams (photo top right) was hired to do survey work in and around the Las Vegas Valley for the San Pedro, . . . — Map (db m51048) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 11 — Moody House — 1939
Herman Moody, Las Vegas' first black career police officer, was raised in this house at 321 Van Buren Avenue, built by his parents (father Henry Moody pictured lower left) who came here in 1939. As first African-American in Las Vegas to make a . . . — Map (db m51053) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 5 — Moulin Rouge — 1955
The first integrated hotel and casino in Las Vegas, the Moulin Rouge opened in May 1955. It is celebrated as a landmark of racial integration in Las Vegas and the United States. Entertainers from the Las Vegas Strip and Hollywood flocked to its . . . — Map (db m51047) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Neon / Atomic Testing
This is a two sided marker Side A: Neon Neon lighting, introduced in Paris in 1910, offered a brilliant, and efficient, alternative to the incandescent light bulb. In the United States, neon's popularity soared, used to advertise . . . — Map (db m47755) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Nevada Motel — Circa 1950 — Neon Museum —
Opened in 1937 at 5th Street (Las Vegas Boulevard) and Garces, the Nevada Motel was the first auto court in Las Vegas to identify itself as a "motel". In its last years in business it operated in conjunction with the Sweetheart Wedding Chapel next . . . — Map (db m64028) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Old Betsy
On this site stood "Old Betsy," Las Vegas' first electric generator, which serviced the power needs of the new town. The generator, operated by the Consolidated Power and Telephone company, supplied electricity from 1906-1916. The company evolved . . . — Map (db m47867) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Old Mormon Fort
After founding Salt Lake City in 1847, the Mormon Church expanded its settlement westward. The Las Vegas Mission was established in June 1855 as an outpost roughly halfway between Salt Lake City and Southern California. Built alongside the Las Vegas . . . — Map (db m50273) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 142 — Old Spanish Trail — Mountain Springs Pass
This portion of the Old Spanish Trail was discovered in January, 1830, by Antonio Armijo during his first trip from Santa Fe to Los Angeles. The spring just north of this marker provided excellent water and fed meadows of luxuriant grass for draft . . . — Map (db m29219) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Old Well Tower #10
Las Vegas Valley Water District Old Well Tower #10 1942 — Map (db m47852) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 190 — Original Homesite of a Las Vegas Pioneer: Charles 'Pop’ Squires, 1865-1958
Charles "Pop" Squires, often referred to as "the Father of Las Vegas" lived at this location, with his wife, Delphine, from 1931 until his death 1958.

Squires first arrived in the Las Vegas Valley in February 1905. He and his partners . . . — Map (db m131061) HM

Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Padre Francisco Garcιs
First recorded white man to enter Nevada. He traveled though Nevada in 1775-6. The small rocks are from the 48 states. — Map (db m69453) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 115 — Potosi
The desire of the Mormon settlements for economic self-sufficiency led to mining by missionaries for lead. In 1856 Nathaniel V. Jones was sent to recover ore from the "Mountain of Lead" 30 miles southwest of the mission at Las Vegas Springs. About . . . — Map (db m29366) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 214 — Rafael Rivera
This historical marker commemorates the valor and service of pioneer scout Rafael Rivera, the first Caucasian of record to view and traverse Las Vegas valley. Scouting for Antonia Armijo's sixty man trading party from Abiquiu, N.M. in January 1830. . . . — Map (db m29167) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Ralph Louis Engelstad — January 28, 1930 – November 26, 2002
With gratitude to the Engelstad Family Foundation for its generous contribution to this Liberty Bell monument, and in recognition of the life and achievements of Ralph Louis Engelstad who personified the highest qualities of personal liberty. Just . . . — Map (db m47828) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Silver Slipper Gambling Hall — Circa 1950s
The Silver Slipper was originally installed on the grounds of the Last Frontier on Las Vegas Boulevard. The Slipper was designed by Jack Larsen and built by Young Electric Sign Company. — Map (db m92469) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 7 — St. James the Apostle — Catholic Church 1940
St James has been a vital force in meeting the needs of this underserved, segregated but expanding community. The second Catholic Church in Las Vegas, St. James opened in 1940 in a small concrete building at H and Morgan streets (pictured . . . — Map (db m51049) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The "Bugsy Building"
On this site Benjamin “Bugsy” Siegel's original Flamingo Hotel stood from December 26, 1944 until December 14, 1993. The hotel, which housed 77 rooms, including the notorious Mr. Siegel's “Bugsy Suite” or . . . — Map (db m53373) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The "H" Wall
Created in1962 by architects Wayne McCallister and William Wagner and YESCO design staff. The three-story concave panel of interlocking neon "H" elements formed the corner bullnose for the casino's faηade on Fremont Street. At the time, the . . . — Map (db m92470) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The First Telephone
At this site the first Telephone was installed in Las Vegas Dedicated during Las Vegas' Diamond Jubilee — Map (db m47744) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Flame Restaurant — Circa 1961 — Neon Museum —
The Flame Restaurant sign was originally installed in 1961 on the roof of the restaurant at #1 Desert Inn Road. Restored through a generous donation from Rich Travis. Installed as part of the Neon Museum on July 8, 1997 Believed to . . . — Map (db m64029) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Huntridge Neighborhood
Las Vegas' first tract subdivision, the Huntridge neighborhood was erected between 1941 and 1944 on land purchased in the 1920s by international businessman Leigh Hunt. After his death in 1931, Hunt's widow sold off large chunks of land. In December . . . — Map (db m47893) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Las Vegas Mormon Fort — A Midpoint Way Station on the Mormon Road
In April 1855, Brigham Young, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, called thirty men to leave their families and possessions in the recently settled towns of Utah to serve a mission at the Las Vegas Springs. The verdant . . . — Map (db m1419) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Little Church of the West
Built 1942 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m29215) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 270 — The Morelli House
The Morelli House is a classic example of Las Vegas, mid-century residential architecture. It was built in 1959 by the Sands Hotel orchestra leader, Antonio Morelli, and his wife Helen. Originally located at 52 Country Club Lane in the former Desert . . . — Map (db m69450) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Neon Boneyard Park Sign
Panel one: The Neon Boneyard Park Sign The lettering on a neon sign is often the most memorable design component. The Neon Boneyard Park sign includes hidden reference to this aspect of the grand history of Las Vegas signage. Each letter in . . . — Map (db m71210) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Red Barn
The Red Barn opened in 1958 as an antique store near Tropicana Avenue and Maryland Parkway. In 1961 the store was converted into a club that was the first coffeehouse in Las Vegas and a popular hangout among local college students. The Red Barn . . . — Map (db m112138) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Shrine of the Four-Faced Brahma
The Brahma Shrine is renowned throughout the Far East, to people of all faiths, as a place of prayer which in turn bestows prosperity and good fortune on those who come to visit and make their hopes and wishes known. The casting ceremonies for . . . — Map (db m80192) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Welcome To Las Vegas Sign
1959 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m29216) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — The Wengert Mansion
The Wengert residence was originally owned by Cyril S. and Lottie Wengert. Built in 1938, this Tudor Revival home was designed by Architect, H. Clifford Nordstrom, and was amongst the largest in Las Vegas. Prominent in Las Vegas social and business . . . — Map (db m114796) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 86 — Tule Springs — (Archeological Site)
Tule Springs is one of the few sites in the U.S. where evidence suggest the presence of man before 11,000 B.C. Scientific evidence shows this area, once covered with sagebrush and bordered with yellow-pine forests, had many springs. These springs . . . — Map (db m29960) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Twin Lakes Lodge — City of Las Vegas — 1905 - Diamond Jubilee - 1980 —
The three buildings on the site were constructed in 1949 as a part of Twin Lakes Lodge, a dude ranch surrounded by stables, a lake, rodeo grounds and a natural springs. The buildings are on a portion of the 80 acre Lorenzi Resort originally . . . — Map (db m69454) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — United States Post Office and Courthouse
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior United States Post Office and Courthouse c.1933 — Map (db m47746) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Von Tobel's Hardware Store
As a founder of one of the pioneer families of Las Vegas, Ed Von Tobel came to the 1905 Las Vegas land auction and purchased a lot. He established a lumber company on Main Street in 1905 and then moved to this site in 1906. The hardware business . . . — Map (db m47879) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 12 — Westside School — 1923
The first school in West Las Vegas opened with two rooms and two teachers for four grades. From 1904 until 1923, children from McWilliams' Townsite crossed the railroad tracks to get to school in Clark's Townsite. This dangerous situation . . . — Map (db m51054) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — 14 — Woodlawn Cemetery — 1914
Until 1914, when the railroad donated land for a city cemetery, people buried the dead in small family plots or on public land just north of the railroad-owened Las Vegas Ranch, east of Las Vegas Boulevard. In pre-railroad times, the Paiute . . . — Map (db m51056) HM
Nevada (Clark County), Las Vegas — Woodlawn Cemetery — 1914
Opened in 1914 on ten acres of donated land, the cemetery was the unofficial veterans cemetery until 1989 and is the home of Veterans Memorial Circle Woodlawn Cemetery Is listed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m75589) HM

70 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement