Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Las Vegas, New Mexico Historical Markers

 
City Hall Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 24, 2011
City Hall Marker
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — City Hall1892
John Hill was the "supervising architect" using a Kirchner & Kirchner design. Built during a surge of civic improvements in New Town which included sidewalks, parks, and schools. Said to be the first municipal building in New Mexico. The structure . . . — Map (db m45890) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Dr. Meta L.Christy
Side A: Meta L. Christy, DO, is recognized by the American Osteopathic Association as the first black osteopath. Dr. Christy graduated in 1921 from the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine as its first black graduate. The College . . . — Map (db m45889) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — E. Romero Hose & Fire Co.1909
Design by E.W. Hart • Built by M. M. Sundt Named for Las Vegas’s first mayor, merchant, and benefactor, Don Eugenio Romero. The Fire Company was formed in 1882 and continued in service as a volunteer organization until 2003. Throughout that . . . — Map (db m64894) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Engine No. 1129
The Engine was built for the Santa Fe Railroad Co. by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, in 1902 & used in regular service on various divisions of the Santa Fe Railroad in New Mexico, for 51 years. It's last trip in railroad service ended in Belen, . . . — Map (db m45888) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Fort Union National Monument1851-1891 — 18 Miles —
Once the largest post in the Southwest, Fort Union was established to control the Jicarilla Apaches and Utes, to protect the Santa Fe Trail, and to serve as a supply depot for other New Mexico forts. The arrival of the railroad and the pacification . . . — Map (db m55197) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Hogbacks
Interstate 25 cuts through dipping strata that form hogback ridges between the Great Plains and the south end of the Rocky Mountains. The Santa Fe Trail from here to Santa Fe, followed a natural valley eroded in less resistant strata between the . . . — Map (db m55196) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Isidor Stern’s “Famous” Dry Good Store1881
“Don Luis” Stern’s trademark slogan was “La Tienda Barata”—or the inexpensive shop. Later the site of the West Las Vegas Town Hall and jail. The cells still exist in the rear of the building. — Map (db m64897) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Las VegasPopulation 16,507 - Elevation 6,470
Las Vegas served as an important stop on the Santa Fe Trail and later as a major railroad center. Here General Kearny announced the annexation of New Mexico by the U.S. in 1846. In 1862, during the Confederate occupation of Santa Fe, Las Vegas . . . — Map (db m45887) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Plaza Hotel1882
Architect: Charles Wheelock • Contractor: John Bennett Wooten Built by a consortium led by Benigno Romero and Jean Pendaries to replace the two-story Territorial Style adobe Las Vegas Hotel. — Map (db m64925) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Temple Montefiore 1884
Site of the First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in New Mexico Territory. Temple Montefiore - 1884 — Map (db m134321) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — Temple Montefiore, Las Vegas, New Mexico
Site of the First Permanent Jewish House of Worship in New Mexico moved to this site — Map (db m134320) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Las Vegas — YMCA Building1905
Built by M.M. Sundt Architects: Issac H. & William M. Rapp The YMCA was organized in Las Vegas in 1900 with Attorney A.T. Rogers as president. The "Y" flourished for two decades before closing in 1924. The building then served as the Las Vegas . . . — Map (db m45891) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement