Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lawrence, Kansas Historical Markers

 
700-702 Massachusetts Street and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 2, 2014
700-702 Massachusetts Street and Marker
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 700-702 Massachusetts Street
Constructed in 1912 for Perkins Loan and Trust Company 1912-1914 Kansas Electric Power Company (later Kansas Power & Light) 1924-1960 Douglas County Title Company 1977-1996 — Map (db m76298) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 746 Massachusetts Street
. . . — Map (db m76187) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 825-827 Massachusetts Street[Montgomery Ward Building]
. . . — Map (db m76170) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Achning Hardware
This circa 1866 building is reflective of commercial Victorian architecture Location of boot and shoe shop, grocery, agricultural implement dealer, and cigar shop Charles Achning established a hardware store here by 1886. Business retained . . . — Map (db m76171) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Adolph Frederick Rupp
Born in Halstead, Kansas, of German emigrant parents Sept. 2, 1901, he was quite proud that he was a full-blooded German. Rupp graduated from Halstead High School and then attended the University of Kansas where he played basketball under Coach . . . — Map (db m54601) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Anderson Building
Constructed ca. 1866 to house Sutliff Clothier. This typical commercial block held Hutson Bakery 1886-1893, Anderson Confectionary 1893-1913 Facade altered in early 20th century — Map (db m76297) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Arthur C. "Dutch" Lonborg
Three Sport Letterman, All American 1919 Coach at Northwestern University 23 years Helped organize first NCAA Basketball Tournament University of Kansas Athletic Director 1950-1964 Manager of the 1960 U.S. Olympic Basketball Team, Chairman . . . — Map (db m54594) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Buford M. Watson Jr. Park
Buford M. Watson, Jr. was Lawrence City Manager for nearly 20 years until his untimely death on October 25, 1989. During his tenure, accomplishments included the beautification and revitalization of the downtown, numerous public parks and . . . — Map (db m77569) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — California and Oregon Trails Memorial
Beginning in 1849, there plodded up the southern slope of Mount Oread a vast emigration bound for the golden land of California. One branch of the great California and Oregon Trail thus passed over the very ground now part of the university . . . — Map (db m77573) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Citizens Memorial Monument
(Front Inscription): Dedicated to the memory of the one hundred and fifty citizens who defenseless fell victims to the inhuman ferocity of border guerrillas led by the infamous Quantrell in his raid upon Lawrence. August 21st, 1863. Erected . . . — Map (db m20091) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Coffin Sports Complex, Tahoma, and Teacher's Quarters
Coffin Sports Complex was built in 1981. It has an Olympic-size swimming pool, racket ball courts and basketball court. It currently is the home for the American Indian Athletics Hall of Fame. Coffin Complex is named after Tony Coffin, . . . — Map (db m77301) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Dean Smith
Emporia, Kansas is Dean Smith's birthplace. After completing school in Emporia and Topeka, he came to the University of Kansas where he played under Coach Phog Allen. Dean played on the National Championship team, the 1952 team which beat St. . . . — Map (db m54602) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Douglas County Courthouse
Designed by John G. Haskell and Fredrick Gunn in the Richardsonian Romanesque style Constructed by the firm of Cuthbert and Sargent of Topeka, KS 1903-1904 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m50843) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Dr. F. C. "Phog" Allen
As a University of Kansas student in 1905, Phog Allen played basketball for the inventor of the game, Dr. James Naismith. His performance produced three Letters from 1905-1907 and earned him a place on the roster of the K. C. Athletic Club. . . . — Map (db m54599) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Dr. James Naismith
Born November 6, 1861 in Almonte Ontario, Canada and died November 28, 1939 in Lawrence, Kansas. Buried in Lawrence Memorial Park. Dr. Naismith invented the game of basketball as a winter indoor sport for the YMCA at Springfield, Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m54545) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — First United Methodist Church
. . . — Map (db m88889) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Forrest "Phog" Clare AllenNovember 18, 1885 - September 16, 1974 — Father of Basketball Coaching
Known as "Phog" for his foghorn umpire calls and "Doc" for his osteopathic skills ("I won more games at the training table than on the sidelines"), Allen was KU's head basketball coach from 1920 until his retirement in 1956. Truly a great . . . — Map (db m54541) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Free State Hotel
This marks the site of the Free State Hotel erected in 1855 by the New England Emigrant Aid Society. Destroyed by Sheriff Jones and his posse May 21, 1856, and rebuilt by Col. Schaler W. Eldridge. Quantrill and his raiders destroyed Lawrence August . . . — Map (db m20397) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
This fountain is dedicated by the Woman’s Relief Corps Number 9, Department of Kansas, Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic as an enduring memorial of perpetual service to the living, in loving remembrance of Comrade Robert S. and Mary J. . . . — Map (db m77863) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Bandstand/Gazebo
The Haskell Bandstand, (now called the Gazebo) was built in 1908 after the previous bandstand was destroyed by a wind storm. Music was an enjoyed student activity. The bandstand was used frequently for concerts in the early days. The bandstand . . . — Map (db m77382) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Celebration 1926
During the weekend of October 27th to 30th, 1926, Haskell Institute hosted a celebration and dedication to the newly constructed football stadium and Arch. (Donations for the construction of the stadium came from all over Indian Country. Haskell . . . — Map (db m77303) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Indian Nations University
Haskell Institute circa 1903 The road going into the Haskell grounds, from the left side of picture, is the current Barker Ave. The buildings from left to right are: Hiawatha, Superintendent’s house, Osceola, Sequoyah (far background . . . — Map (db m77318) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Indian Nations University
This project is dedicated to those who were here first. Haskell Indian Nations University campus is a unique and special place. Please, respect these grounds and buildings as you walk around campus. From 1884-1890, the school’s . . . — Map (db m77379) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Indian Nations University
The first three buildings on the Haskell grounds are from left to right: Osceola (boy’s dorm), Sequoyah (the schoolroom), Keokuk (girl’s dorm). Location of the original three buildings, overlaid on top of current building locations. The . . . — Map (db m77383) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Indian Nations University Timeline
Haskell’s destiny in becoming a four-year university for native students has a history to be preserved and shared. In 1890, Haskell Institute became the official name. Several years passed before classes were offered beyond the . . . — Map (db m77381) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Haskell Stadium Memorial Arch
In Honor of the 415 “Haskell Warriors” that served in World War I and in memory of those ‘Warriors’ who made the supreme sacrifice for their country. Rededicated October 13, 2001. 75th Anniversary The . . . — Map (db m77316) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Hiawatha Hall
Hiawatha was a legendary Native American leader and co-founder of the Iroquois Confederacy. Depending on the version of the narrative, Hiawatha lived in the 16th century and was a leader of the Onondaga in the New York area. Hiawatha was a . . . — Map (db m77384) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Historic Pinckney Neighborhood
The Pinckney neighborhood at the bend of the Kansas River began in 1854 as part of the original Lawrence townsite. North/South streets to the west of Massachusetts St. were named for states in the order in which they were admitted to the United . . . — Map (db m63895) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — House Building
Built 1858-1860 for Josiah Miller Survived Quantrill's Raid, August 21, 1863 Facade altered 1921 Jacob House and descendants, clothiers, occupied this site 1862-1935 — Map (db m76208) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — John Brown and the Siege of Lawrence, September 14-15, 1856
On the afternoon of September 14th, 1856, the Free State settlement of Lawrence, Kansas Territory was threatened with invasion by an army of 2700 Pro-slavery Missourians under the command of Generals David R. Atchison and John W. Reid. Encamping . . . — Map (db m76325) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — John Speer FarmsteadMurphy-Bromelsick House
Abolitionist John Speer established a farmstead on this site shortly after his arrival in Kansas Territory in September 1854. A newspaper publisher from Pennsylvania, Speer became a part of the struggle to bring Kansas into the Union as a free, . . . — Map (db m37581) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Kansas River Flood Levels
Water Line July 13 '51 Water Line June 5 '35 — Map (db m77155) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Korean War Memorial
This memorial commemorates the conflict that began on June 25, 1950 when North Korean military forces crossed the 38th Parallel and launched a massive invasion of South Korea. Responding to pleas for help by the Government of the Republic of . . . — Map (db m77589) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Langston Hughes and the Carnegie Library
Many Lawrence residents, including perhaps Langston Hughes, spent pleasant hours reading and fostering their love of books in this Carnegie Library. As the famous writer and poet wrote: "...When I was in the second grade, my grandmother took me . . . — Map (db m54572) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Larry Brown
. . . — Map (db m54596) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 10 — Lawrence
Lawrence was established in 1854 by the Emigrant Aid Company, a New England organization formed to prevent the new Kansas territory from becoming a slave state. When the first legislature enacted the so-called Bogus Laws with severe penalties for . . . — Map (db m20460) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — 9 — Lawrence and the Old Trails
Between Lawrence and Topeka, the Kansas turnpike passes near the route of the old Oregon-California Trail, traveled in the 1800s by explorers, missionaries, soldiers, emigrants in search of land, and forty-niners in search of gold. Fifteen miles . . . — Map (db m103242) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence City [Carnegie] Library
Constructed 1903-1904 This Carnegie Library housed the Lawrence Public Library 1904-1972 Designed by George A. Berlinghof in the Beaux Arts style Rear addition was a 1937 Works Progress Administration project Andrew Carnegie . . . — Map (db m54570) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence Masonic Temple
. . . — Map (db m76305) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence Studio
Constructed late 1860s Alexander Marks, jeweler, was an early occupant This building, now reflective of Mission style, housed dry goods, drugs, and jewelry businesses and several barber shops Alfred A. Lawrence Photography Studio . . . — Map (db m76209) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence Veterans' Memorial
main marker For God And Country Dedicated to those War Veterans that never returned Picture of American Flag on a flagpole The Five Seals of the Armed Forces of the United States Map (db m21478) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence Visitor Information CenterWelcome
Welcome to historic Lawrence, Kansas, and its Visitor Information Center in the centuy-old Union Pacific Depot. Lawrence was founded in 1854 by antislavery forces determined to see that the newly opened Kansas territory joined the union as a free . . . — Map (db m50819) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Leo A. BeuermanDistinguished Citizen of Lawrence — 1902 - 1974
"Remember Me - I'm that little Man gone blind. I used to sell Pencils on the street corner." — Map (db m76194) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Liberty Hall
The Herald of Freedom, Abolitionist Newspaper published on this site 1855-56 Site of Liberty Hall, Lawrence's first opera house 1870-1911 The Bowersock Opera House (Liberty Hall), built in 1912 Designed by Samuel B. Tarbet & Co. . . . — Map (db m54573) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lucy Hobbs Taylor Building809 Vermont Street — Built in 1871

National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m88888) HM

Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Marks Jewelers
This building has housed a variety of commercial enterprises since the mid 1860's including a grocery, clothier, and tobacco shops Sol Marks began operating a jewelry store on this site in 1880 — Map (db m76172) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Miller's Hall
Built for Josiah Miller Free State Party activist and Lawrence's first state senator Construction began late 1850's; partially destroyed during Quantrill's Raid; reconstruction completed 1864 Third floor served as early meeting . . . — Map (db m76296) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Pioneer CemeteryEstablished 1854
This Cemetery, known originally as Oread, was opened in 1854 by the New Englanders who founded Lawrence. Following burials in 1882, Oread fell into disuse. In 1928, the City of Lawrence changed the name to Pioneer Cemetery. The marble obelisk . . . — Map (db m20474) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Ridenour & Baker Building1858-1888
Barteldes Seed Company 1888-1963 One of the first sites rebuilt after Quantrill's Raid in 1863 Interior destroyed by fire 1997 Restored 1997-98 Though modified several times, the Italianate store front retains many original . . . — Map (db m76303) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Round Corner Drug
Building constructed in 1866 to house a drug store founded by B. W. Woodard in 1855 Oldest drug store in Lawrence and Kansas in continuous operation. — Map (db m76185) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Santa Fe Steam Locomotive 1073
Donated in 1955 by A.T.&S.F. Railroad Is a 2-6-2 Prairie type locomotive from 1908 [Retired] 1952. It logged 871,114 miles. — Map (db m76362) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — South ParkEstablished 1854
Historic South Park was the first park of Lawrence and part of the original townsite that was founded in 1854. The park was originally used as a public area to grow crops and graze livestock for the City's residents. It is the most historic park . . . — Map (db m76603) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Spanish-American War Memorial
Erected by Company H 20th Kansas Inft. U.S.V. Eighth Army Corps Spanish-American War 1898 – 1899 — Map (db m77811) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Standard Mutual Life Building

The Fraternal Aid Society built a three story building on this site in 1904

Fire substantially destroyed the structure in 1930

Standard Mutual Life Insurance Company reconstructed this Renaissance Revival style building and occupied it . . . — Map (db m88887) HM

Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Tecumseh Hall
Tecumseh Hall was built in 1915 for use as the boys' gymnasium. Today, the first floor has a basketball court and is, also, used for other campus activities and events. The Indian Leader newspaper and Student Activity offices are located in . . . — Map (db m77305) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Castle Tea Room
1869 In 1869, General John N. Roberts, a Civil War veteran, and his wife Emily, moved to Kansas and established their business and family in Lawrence. The Robertses [sic] had one daughter, Isabella, affectionately called "Belle." Roberts . . . — Map (db m77559) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Douglas County Memorial of Honor
Recognizes the extraordinary sacrifices of ordinary citizens - men and women of Douglas County, Kansas who gave their lives to protect freedom, our community and our way of life. It stands as an eternal symbol of hope, renewal and the indomitable . . . — Map (db m50822) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The First Lawrence U.S. Post Office
. . . — Map (db m76301) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Haskell Cemetery
The Haskell Cemetery has approximately 100 students buried here. The child’s name, tribal affiliation, date of birth and death are engraved on their headstone. Some of causes of death were listed as consumption (Tuberculosis), pneumonia, . . . — Map (db m77300) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Original Bandstand
The Original Bandstand was located approximately in this area between the old Winona and Osceola Halls. It was destroyed in a wind storm in 1906 or 1907. — Map (db m77325) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The Victory Eagle
Erected on the "Victory Highway," U.S. 40, at the Leavenworth / Douglas County Line as a memorial to those from Douglas County who died in World War I Relocated to this site in 1980 Cast under the direction of Dr. Thomas F. . . . — Map (db m77571) HM WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — The WheatFields Oven
The curved brick wall to your right is the outside wall of our twenty-five ton wood-fired oven. The masonry circle continues inside the bakery. The oven itself is from J. Llopis of Barcelona, Spain, and was built on site by master craftsman Manuel . . . — Map (db m54567) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Trinity Episcopal Church
. . . — Map (db m88891) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Unknown Dead
To the Unknown Dead Union Soldiers Of the Civil War Re-dedicated by the Lawrence Sons of Union Veterans Camp #4 November 2006 — Map (db m20462) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — War Mothers Memorial
[American Indian woman sculpture with eagle feathers attached to United States Armed Forces emblem medallions as well as service emblems on wall behind sculpture] — Map (db m77567) WM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Wiedemann Building
Wiedemann's, a popular candy and ice cream store, operated on this site from 1886-ca.1943 Prominent social center, tea room and dance hall The Jay Shoppe Ladies fashions 1952-1989 — Map (db m76168) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — World War II Memorial Campanile
Free government does not bestow repose upon its citizens but sets them in the vanguard of battle to defend the liberty of every man. [Roll of 277 KU Honored Dead] [Cast bronze door panels, dedicated 1955, read] Achievement • Courage . . . — Map (db m77594) WM

67 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement