Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lawrenceville, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Markers at the Gwinnett County Courthouse image, Touch for more information
By David Seibert, November 20, 2008
Markers at the Gwinnett County Courthouse
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — US 29 F-5 — Birthplace of Bill Arp
The beloved Charles Henry Smith, was born here June 15, 1826. He married Mary Hutchins of Lawrenceville in 1849; began his law practice and moved to Rome in 1851. Major, Confederate Army. His Nom de plume, “Bill Arp,” was first used in . . . — Map (db m14085) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-1 — Button Gwinnett
Button Gwinnett, for whom this county was named, was born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1735, the son of a Church of England minister. He worked in the store of his father-in-law in Dexter for two years, then as an importer and exporter for three . . . — Map (db m84791) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Confederate Veterans of Gwinnett County, Georgia1861-1865 — Lest We Forget
In remembrance of the citizens of Gwinnett County who honorably served the Confederate States of America "Any people with contempt for their heritage have lost faith in themselves and no nation can long survive without . . . — Map (db m85724) WM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Freeman's Mill
Freeman's MillWelcome to Freeman's Mill, the last operating gristmill in Gwinnett County. From the late 1860s to 1986, Freeman's Mill provided wheat flour, corn meal and feed meal for the county's residents and their animals. Its pond afforded . . . — Map (db m114273) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-2B — Garrard’s Cavalry Raid
On July 20, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, were closing in on Atlanta. Hq. 2nd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen. Kenner Garrard, was in Decatur, 6 miles E of Atlanta. Garrard’s three brigades were guarding bridges over the . . . — Map (db m84574) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-4 — Gwinnett County
Created in 1818 from Cherokee and Creek cessions, Gwinnett is an original county. Courts, elections, and sheriff sales were held, first, in the home of Elisha Winn, 1 mile east of the Appalachee River. Selected to buy a permanent site for the county . . . — Map (db m16916) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — In Tribute to Ezzard CharlesHeavyweight Boxing Champion of the World — 1949-1951
Native son of Lawrenceville, Ga. July 7, 1921 May 28, 1975 Gentleman Sportsman Champion — Map (db m85722) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 067-6 — Lawrenceville Female Seminary
The first building erected on this property was completed July 31, 1838 to house the Lawrenceville Female Seminary. The Reverend John S. Wilson was elected first president of the Board of Trustees. The Seminary commenced operations on September 24, . . . — Map (db m23490) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Memorial to the Fallen of 1836
In memory of Gwinnett Company of Mounted Volunteers, under the command of Capt. Hammond Garmany who were slain by Creek Indians 9 June 1836 in a Battle at Shepherd's Plantation in Stewart County: Ens. Isaac Lacy Sgt. James E. . . . — Map (db m85721) HM WM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — 001 — Richard Dickinson Winn
Side 1: Richard Dickinson Winn, a son of Elisha and Judith Cochran Winn, was born January 14, 1816. Gwinnett’s first county elections and court sessions were held at his childhood home near Hog Mountain. Winn served as a Justice of the . . . — Map (db m23541) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — The Home of Major William E. Simmons
William E. Simmons, one of Gwinnett County’s foremost citizens, was born in Lawrenceville on August 26, 1839. After graduating at the top of his class from Emory College, he assumed editorship of the Lawrenceville News. In 1861, he became an officer . . . — Map (db m16958) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — Watering Trough 1873
The First Courthouse Was Built On This Site Between 1823 And 1824 And There Was A Well On The Southwest Corner. People Came By Horse And Buggy To The Courthouse To Conduct Business And So A Wooden Watering Trough For Horses Was Provided . . . — Map (db m85719) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement