Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lawrenceville, Virginia Historical Markers

 
Brunswick County Confederate Monument. image, Touch for more information
By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
Brunswick County Confederate Monument.
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — Brunswick County Confederate Monument
In memory of the Confederate Heroes of Brunswick County 1861.-1865. Love makes memory eternal Virginia — Map (db m20217) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — Brunswick County Courthouse
Late in the afternoon of May 15, 1864, Union Gen. August V. Kautz and his cavalry division rode into Lawrenceville, the Brunswick County seat. They were on the second leg of a two-part, two-week-long expedition to destroy railroad bridges and depots . . . — Map (db m62400) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — Col. John Jonesof Brunswick County
Soldier of the Revolution Feb. 14, 1735 – Jan. 11, 1793 Vestryman St. Andrew’s Parish 1775-79 Justice 1760-93 Sheriff 1773-75 Clerk 1789-93 House of Burgesses 1772-73 Virginia Senate 1776-89 Speaker of the Senate . . . — Map (db m20216) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — U-90 — Fort Christanna
Nearby to the south stood Fort Christanna, a wooden structure built in 1714 under the auspices of Alexander Spotswood and the Virginia Indian Company. Members of the Meiponsky, Occaneechi, Saponi, Stuckenock, and Tutelo Indian tribes lived within . . . — Map (db m20184) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — 41 — Fort ChristannaLawrenceville, Virginia — Brunswick County
In 1714, at Governor Alexander Spotswood’s urging, the Virginia General Assembly funded the Virginia Indian Company, charged with building a fort on the banks of the Meherrin River in what would become Brunswick County. The fort would provide . . . — Map (db m20197) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — Fort Christanna: Established 1714“The Farthest Western Outpost of the British Empire”
A Fort Called Christ-Anna You are standing at the site of Fort Christanna, a colonial fort laid out in 1714 by Virginia’s Governor Alexander Spotswood. The fort was built on a tract of land set aside in 1714 for a trading post, as well as a . . . — Map (db m20199) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — Governor Alexander Spotswood
Alexander Spotswood (1676-1740) was Governor of Virginia from 1710 to 1722. Born in Africa of a Scottish family, he had distinguished himself at the Battle of Bleinheim and was wounded. He was appointed to the governor’s position in Virginia in . . . — Map (db m20200) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — Native Americans and Fort Christanna
The story of Native Americans after Jamestown's founding in 1607 is a tragic one. At that time the Siouan Indians of Virginia probably numbered 6,300 people. By 1714, when Fort Christanna was established, they were in difficult circumstances, being . . . — Map (db m20198) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — SN-63 — Saint Paul's College
Saint Paul's College was established in 1883 by the Venerable James Solomon Russell (1857-1935) as an Episcopal mission school to serve the black community of Southside Virginia. Born into slavery in Mecklenburg County, Russell was educated at . . . — Map (db m20187) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — 39 — Saint Paul's CollegeLawrenceville, Virginia — Brunswick County
Saint Paul’s College began as a small parochial school founded by a newly ordained Episcopal deacon, the Rev. James Solomon Russell. Born into slavery, Russell attended seminary school in Petersburg. Within a year of graduation he had managed . . . — Map (db m30870) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — Site of Fort Christanna
. . . — Map (db m20190) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Lawrenceville — The Colonial Dames of America Monument
In 1924 the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Virginia acquired three and three-quarters acres of land on which the fort was presumed to have been built, then erected a monument of concrete embedded with . . . — Map (db m20202) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement