Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Leavenworth, Kansas Historical Markers

 
"Harvey House" Leavenworth Court House Annex I and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 30, 2011
"Harvey House" Leavenworth Court House Annex I and Marker
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — "Harvey House" Leavenworth Court House Annex I — Established 1984
This home was built circa 1870 by A. A. Higgenbotham. The stone was quarried at Junction City, Kansas. Messrs. Anthony, Goehner and Lysle negotiated with the Harvey family and the property was donated to Cushing Hospital in 1944. The Hospital . . . — Map (db m53605) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — A Lasting Friendship
In 1997, the cities of Leavenworth, Kansas and Omihachiman, Japan became Sister and Brother cities. The two cities are connected because of the civic and religious commitment of one man, Mr. William Merrell Vories. Vories was born in Leavenworth . . . — Map (db m42105) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Abraham Lincoln — December 3, 1859
First Campaign Speech for the Presidency given at Stockton Hall, 4th and Delaware, Leavenworth, Kansas — Map (db m71719) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Ackenhausen Saddlery Company Building
In Leavenworth's early days this building was the home of the Charles Ackenhausen Saddlery Company. Mr. Ackenhausen was a prominent and progressive citizen and a great benefit to Leavenworth after immigrating from Hanover, Germany. In 1858 he . . . — Map (db m50885) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — American Legion Post #23 Veterans Memorial
In memory of the Leavenworth area men and women who served in their country's wars "O honor those who gave their todays for our tomorrows." — Map (db m53567) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Bleeding Kansas — Historic Wayside Tour #12
"Each man carried a bowie-knife, a revolver, a pair of breeches, a shirt and a very don't-care a damn expression...The stews and brothels, the hospitals and poorhouses of the East can furnish thousands more of just such scabby, scurvy, scapegoats, . . . — Map (db m46709) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — CPL David M. Unger — In Memory Of — Freedom Is Not Free
. . . — Map (db m86736) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 3 — Cyclone Carry — Historic Wayside Tour #3
Carry Amelia Nation, the Kansas Prohibitionist, who became internationally known for breaking up saloons, was born in Kentucky in 1846. The widow of an alcoholic, she remarried and settled in Medicine Lodge, Kansas. The state constitution . . . — Map (db m42172) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Davis Funeral Chapel
This building was the first site used by the I.O.O.F. in Kansas. The cornerstone was laid on May 14, 1867. Later renamed Davis Hall, the upper floor was used for local political meetings. In 1975 the premises were included in the inventory of . . . — Map (db m71708) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — First Meeting of the Methodist Church
Dedicated in honor of First Meeting of the Methodist Church October 8, 1854 — Map (db m42165) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — First Presbyterian Church
Rev. B. M. Hobson of Lexington, Mo. a Presbyterian preached in a grove of elms near 3rd & Miami in the summer of 1855. On 1 Jan. 1856 Rev. C. D. Martin of Philadelphia organized the First Presbyterian Church with nine members. The group reorganized . . . — Map (db m46782) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 18 — Frederick H. Harvey — "Mr. Restaurant" — Historic Wayside Tour #18
Into the grunt and growl life of the southwest frontier Fred Harvey brought an era of gracious manners, delicious food, good women, and high standards of service. Frederick Harvey was born in London in 1835. At fifteen Harvey immigrated to the . . . — Map (db m53991) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Freedom Tree — 1776 - 1976
In tribute to those countless heroes who lived and died for our right to be free — Map (db m65045) WM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 9 — General William Tecumseh Sherman — "Local Lawyer & Total Warrior" — Historic Wayside Tour #9
The law firm of Sherman, Ewing and McCook was on the 2nd floor of a wooden building located in front of this pedestal. All four partners in the firm became general officers in the Union Army during the Civil War. The most famous member of the firm . . . — Map (db m42154) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Haymarket Square
In 1866 this area was given to the city to be used by farmers selling their products. For sale were hay, wood, live poultry, eggs, hand churned butter, farm smoked hams and bacon, and fruits and vegetables in season. Horese and mules were traded. . . . — Map (db m53987) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Heritage Court / Celebration of the Midwest Family — July 25, 1981
Dedicated to all who came before us - from our pioneers to our parents, to these we owe our freedom, faith, country, community and lives. May we enjoy and protect the good things of life in Mid-America that our heritage has made possible. . . . — Map (db m65047) HM WM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Home of David Josiah Brewer — 1837 - 1910

David J. Brewer, distinguished jurist, lived in Leavenworth from 1859 to 1889. He served as judge of the First District Court of Kansas, 1865 to 1869; justice of the Kansas Supreme Court, 1871-1884; judge of the U.S. Circuit Court, 1884-1889; . . . — Map (db m82698) HM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Home of Frederick Henry Harvey — 1835 - 1901
Fred Harvey, founder of the restaurant chain that bears his name, lived here from 1883 until his death. The family occupied the residence until 1943. It was transferred to the Leavenworth Board of Education in 1949. Harvey pioneered well . . . — Map (db m53603) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Jeremy A. Katzenberger — In Memory Of — Freedom Is Not Free

SSG, US Army DOB 11-2-84 DOD 6-11-11 KIA Operation Enduring Freedom 3rd Plt, B Co, 1/75 Ranger Bn Pakita Province, Afghanistan

[Bronze Star Medal and Purple Heart] — Map (db m86749) WM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Jeremy Lee Drexler — In Honor Of — "He Made A Difference"

July 20, 1980 - May 2, 2004 KIA - Operation Iraqi Freedom 1st Cavalry, 91st Engineers

[Purple Heart] — Map (db m86746) WM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Knights of Columbus Hall
Land for the building was purchased from the U.S. Government in 1857 by William H. Russell of Lafayette County, Missouri. The building was built in 1878 by James A. McGonigle for Francis Fitzwilliam. It was financed through the German Bank of . . . — Map (db m46717) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Law Offices of Sherman, Ewing, and McCook — 60 Main Street — 1858 - 1859
William Tecumseh Sherman Thomas Ewing Jr. Hugh Boyle Ewing Daniel McCook Jr. All four members of the law firm served with distinction as general officers in the Union Army in the Civil War. Thomas Ewing Jr. was the first Chief Justice . . . — Map (db m42111) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth — The Oldest City in Kansas
Leavenworth was founded in June, 1854, although it was not incorporated until the following summer. During the territorial struggle which flared between proslavery and Free-State forces, the city was the scene of many incidents which contributed . . . — Map (db m71724) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth County
After passage of the Kansas-Nebraska Act, May 30, 1864, this area was swiftly settled. The county was organized in 1855, taking its name from Gen. Henry Leavenworth who established the nearby fort in 1827. In a county seat war, Leavenworth was . . . — Map (db m46777) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth County War Memorial — In Memoriam
The Doughboy statue was first erected at Victory Junction in 1921 in memory of the members of the military who died in World War I. It was dedicated November 11, 1928. In 1941 the statue was moved to its present location. Extensive deterioration . . . — Map (db m66876) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth County World War Memorial — 1917 - 1919
Dedicated to the Memory of our Boys who made The Supreme Sacrifice in the World War Byron H. Mehl • Ernest Bagwell Anthony Blanchard • William E. Burns Edward Blochberger • Riley D. Cunningham David H. Crockett • Frank . . . — Map (db m46751) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth Landing Park
Created to reclaim this historic riverfront for the citizens of Leavenworth and to recall its prominent role in the development of the American West. ———————— When Leavenworth was established in . . . — Map (db m42138) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth Masonic Building Association
. . . — Map (db m50883) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth Public Library
In 1899 the City of Leavenworth voted a tax levy for a library. Women’s clubs, by library fund raising activities, accumulated $3,000 and steel magnate Andrew Carnegie contributed $30,000. The total was enough to build and equip the facility. . . . — Map (db m71725) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Leavenworth's Union Depot
Leavenworth in the eighteen sixties and seventies was a bustling boom town. River boats arrived almost daily and railroads were extending west and north carrying settlers, their property and supplies. Later three railroads built passenger stations . . . — Map (db m42106) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Lincoln at Stockton Hall
Campaigning for the Presidency of the United States, Abraham Lincoln crossed the Missouri River from St. Joseph to Elwood, Kansas Territory, on December 1, 1859. From there, he was driven in a horse-drawn buggy to Leavenworth. On December 3, . . . — Map (db m46750) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 11 — Lincoln at the Planters — December 5, 1859 — Historic Wayside Tour #11
On this site once stood the most famous and magnificent hotel between St. Louis and San Francisco - the Planters. The Planters, a fine four story brick building with 100 guestrooms, opened for business in December 1856. The Planter's most . . . — Map (db m42152) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 2 — Manufacturing Metropolis of the Midwest — Historic Wayside Tour #2
In the late 1800s and early 1900s Leavenworth was the most important manufacturing city in Kansas and one of the largest in the entire United States. It had sixty-seven prosperous and growing industries. It was third in furniture production in the . . . — Map (db m42168) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Nathaniel Burt House

The Nathaniel Burt Home was constructed in 1895 for Nathaniel Henry Burt, president of the Great Western Stove Company. It was designed by William Feth, a local architect who also designed the Leavenworth County Courthouse and other local . . . — Map (db m82699) HM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Patrick C. Hawkins — In Loving Memory Of — Ranger

Sergeant, US Army Oct. 1, 1988 - Oct. 6, 2013 Killed in Action Operation Enduring Freedom B Co., 3/75 Ranger Regiment

[Bronze Star Medal for Valor, Purple Heart] — Map (db m86751) WM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Quartzite Boulder
of the Glacial Age Donated for Bicentennial Year 1976 by Mr. and Mrs. William P. McNamee from their farm located in the SE 1/4 of Sec. 8 Twp. 10 R-22-E Leavenworth County Kansas — Map (db m46753) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this replica of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty . . . — Map (db m71710) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Ricky M. Rodgers — Freedom Is Not Free

SGT, US Army DOB 4-19-78 DOD 8-29-05 7th Chemical Company, 83rd Chemical Battalion Ft. Polk, Louisiana — Map (db m86738) WM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Riverfront Community Center — Old Union Depot — Built in 1888 by James A. McGonigle
In 1984 V.B. Greenamyre and family gave the building to the City of Leavenworth. In 1985 a bond issue was voted to renovate the building and to build additional facilities. A half cent sales tax was approved to payoff those bonds and support the . . . — Map (db m42110) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Russell, Majors & Waddell — Historic Wayside Tour #6
Before you stands the manufacturer's bank building; once headquarters for the freighting firm of Russell, Majors and Waddell. Fort Leavenworth's strategic location made it the logical logistical supply center to support the U.S. Army throughout the . . . — Map (db m46713) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Saint Mary — 1859

Saint Mary was founded in 1859 by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth as an academy for young women. The academy moved to this site in 1870. The original building, St. Mary Hall (constructed 1868-70), served both as the Academy and the . . . — Map (db m86756) HM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Sisters of Charity
Commemorating the arrival of the Sisters of Charity in Leavenworth November 11, 1858 — Map (db m42166) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Site of Offices of Russell, Majors, and Waddell — A Famous Freighting Firm
In the years 1855-1861 this firm was a major factor in the settlement of the West. Using thousands of teams, and both wagons and stagecoaches, it hauled supplies and passengers to Army posts and settlements west of Fort Leavenworth. Members of the . . . — Map (db m46720) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — St. Paul Lutheran Church
On 25 August 1861 the first Lutheran sermon in Leavenworth County was delivered in the Methodist church in Kickapoo. A congregation was organized on 9 March 1862 and a church was built on Delaware Street. In 1880 a second church was built at 7th . . . — Map (db m53985) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Saint Paul's, the oldest church in Kansas, was the site of the first consecration of a church, the first confirmation of a child, and the first ordination of a priest. From 1837 to 1856 a mission served both the fort and the city. On December . . . — Map (db m53983) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Stockton Hall — "The Liberator and the Assassin" — Historic Wayside Tour #7
Leavenworth's Stockton Hall was built in 1857 at the southwest corner of Fourth and Delaware streets. Although not the first of the town's public halls, Stockton was to become the most famous. It was a frame building forty-five by one hundred and . . . — Map (db m46716) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Temple B'Nai Jeshurun
On this site the first Jewish place of worship in the state of Kansas was built. After a large Jewish community established residence in Leavenworth City, Kansas Territory. Temple B'Nai Jeshurun was constructed in 1866. Initially, the first group of . . . — Map (db m103870) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 13 — The Anthonys — Historic Wayside Tour #13
Daniel Read Anthony, born on February 15, 1820 and his sister, Susan Brownell Anthony, born on August 22, 1824, had tremendous influence over the course of events in Kansas and the nation. Daniel's influence was felt through his newspaper and Susan . . . — Map (db m42150) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — The Carroll House — Leavenworth Historical Museum

In the early 1860's John Foster bought the farm land and house which is now Leavenworth's Museum. The farm was transferred to Lucien Scott a banker in 1882. Mr. Scott added the front part to the house and his architect George McKenna carved the . . . — Map (db m82715) HM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 90 — The City of Leavenworth
Two weeks after Kansas was officially opened for settlement, the state's oldest city was born. The date was June 12, 1854, and the town was named for nearby Fort Leavenworth. In September, type for the first regular weekly newspaper in Kansas was . . . — Map (db m19839) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — The First Bank in Kansas
In this building in 1856 Lucien Scott and John Kerr opened a private bank, Scott, Kerr and Company. In 1874 it was merged with the First National Bank of Leavenworth which had been established in 1868. The First National Bank holds National Charter . . . — Map (db m50890) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — The First Public Park in Kansas — North Esplanade Park and Historic District — Established 1854
North Esplanade Historic District In the plat of the Town of Leavenworth, Kansas Territory, filed December 20, 1854, in the Surveyor General's Office at Fort Leavenworth, the proprietors of the town donated to the public "the perpetual use . . . — Map (db m42073) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 10 — The Great Railroad Era — Historic Wayside Tour #10
The railroad era began in the eastern part of the United States in the 1830's when the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad opened with thirteen miles of track. Most of the lines were built in the Northeast and Old Northwest. The first Kansas Territorial . . . — Map (db m42155) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — The Knapp House
Built in 1894 by Chauncey L. Knapp, founder & owner of C.L. Knapp & Co. 418 Delaware — Map (db m53569) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — The Landing
In the Eighteen Fifties, Sixties and Seventies with thousands of settlers pouring into Leavenworth by river boat and train the landing area housed banks, hotels, saloons, offices, stores and livery stables. As the city grew away from the river . . . — Map (db m50900) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 8 — The Landing Retail District — "Our Jewish Heritage" — Historic Wayside Tour #8
Leavenworth - Gateway to the West and Headquarters of the Department of the Missouri - was the supply base for settlers and emigrants to the vast region lying west to the Pacific Ocean. Selected because of the excellence of its site, the . . . — Map (db m50902) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — The Lincoln Steps

Abraham Lincoln addressed one of the largest assemblies in Kansas Territory from these steps on December 6, 1859. The steps were originally at the Planters Hotel located on the north side of Shawnee, between the levee and Main (Esplanade). Five . . . — Map (db m82700) HM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 1 — The Port of Leavenworth — 1854 to 1875 — Historic Wayside Tour #1
In 1854 the river was the freeway of commerce, and every stable landing was a natural stop. The Missouri bends in at the Leavenworth area, and the current runs along a natural limestone bluff for some miles. A small creek cut through that bluff at . . . — Map (db m42141) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — The Star of the West
Here stood one of the most famous saloons of the West. The building called Kunz’s Hall and built in 1869 also housed the Kansas Freie Presse a German language newspaper and the H. J. Helmers Barber Shop. The saloon was named “Star of the . . . — Map (db m71718) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 5 — The Star of the West Saloon — Historic Wayside Tour #5
Located at this spot was the Star of the West Saloon, which was in business from around 1869 until 1887. Although no famous events or persons are associated with this saloon, the Star of the West was a fine representative of the wild and woolly . . . — Map (db m71723) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — The V.A. Medical Center Chapel
This unique chapel was built in 1893. Architect Louis Curtis[s] of Kansas City designed the structure after an old gothic chapel he had seen in England. It has served veterans of all wars from the Mexican War (1848) on. The beautiful stained . . . — Map (db m50912) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — Veterans Memorial — Duty • Honor • Country

Gentle Visitor

This memorial is dedicated to all the men and women who served these United States of America during times of war and peace. — Map (db m85001) WM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — 4 — William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody — 1846 - 1917 — Historic Wayside Tour #4
Isaac and Mary Cody and family arrived in the Leavenworth area June 10, 1854, and built a seven-room log cabin in Salt Creek Valley, just north of Fort Leavenworth. Bill was 9 years old, the only son in a family of girls. Immediately upon arrival . . . — Map (db m53990) HM
Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — William J. Mulvihill — In Memory Of — Freedom Is Not Free

SPC, US Army DOB 8-27-87 DOD 8-1-08 KIA Operation Enduring Freedom 3rd Bridgade [sic], 1st Infantry, A Company Asadabad, Afghanistan

[Bronze Star Metal and Purple Heart] — Map (db m86737) WM

Kansas (Leavenworth County), Leavenworth — World War and All War Memorial — 1917 - 1919
In Grateful Memory of Our Veterans of All American Wars — Map (db m46779) HM

65 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement