Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lebanon, Ohio Historical Markers

 
Broadway Bridge Marker (Side B) image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 3, 2009
Broadway Bridge Marker (Side B)
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Broadway Bridge
Side A: Built in 1897, this span over Turtle Creek is the oldest nonreinforced concrete arch bridge in Ohio. The residents of Floraville, the area to the south, felt the bridge needed to be “the most prominent” in all of Lebanon. . . . — Map (db m24772) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Bundy House
Side A: This house is on lot No. 33 of the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. The land was owned by Samuel Manning, one of the town's founders. It was bought in 1886 by Dr. G. L. Krieger, a native of France. That same year it was sold, for . . . — Map (db m25047) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Christmas Tree Park
The Golden Lamb Ohio's oldest inn has hosted scores of dignitaries including 11 US Presidents Two Hollywood movies were filmed here; Harper Valley PTA in 1977 and Milk Money in 1993 Distinguished citizen Tom . . . — Map (db m25109) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Ferguson House
Side A: This house sits on lot No. 29 in the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. In 1805 the land was bought by William Ferguson, the town's first postmaster. Ferguson owned the Indian Chief Tavern. This inn was located one block to the west where . . . — Map (db m25099) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — I.O.O.F. Temple
Side A: Lebanon Lodge No. 15 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows was dedicated to the “purposes of benevolence and charity” and became one of the most prominent I.O.O.F. lodges in Ohio. The original building was a two-story . . . — Map (db m25007) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Ichabod Corwin
Upon this site in March, 1796 Ichabod Corwin erected the first cabin on land which is now Lebanon, Ohio

This tablet placed by Turtle Creek Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1962 — Map (db m99421) HM

Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — LCNB Building
Side A: On May 20, 1877 the Lebanon National Bank was certified by the Treasury Dept. Its new 10-ton safe came by rail to Corwin, Ohio. Eight oxen were needed to haul it the 10 miles to the bank's location at what is now 2 N. Broadway. In . . . — Map (db m24777) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Lebanon Library / Harmon Hall
Side A: Lebanon Library Andrew Carnegie gave Lebanon $10,000 in 1906 for the construction of a library if the town would provide at least $1,000 a year for its upkeep. Money for the books and furnishings was given by Lebanon's own William E. . . . — Map (db m24779) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — The Lewis House
Side A: The William C. Lewis House sits on lot No. 49 of the original 1802 plat of Lebanon. The owner of a dry goods store on the corner of Mulberry and Broadway, Lewis built the Greek Revival house in 1846. The veranda was added around 1900. . . . — Map (db m24784) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — The Town Plat / The Tharp House
Side A: The Town Plat Lebanon was laid out in September of 1802 by four pioneer settler. Cradled by the forks of Turtle Creek, 100 lots were carved out of the wild, primitive forest. At the time, there were only two cabins in the plat. The . . . — Map (db m25100) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — The Town Square / City Hall Site
Side A: The Town Square Only Broadway and Main were named on the original 1802 map of Lebanon. Broadway was 1 1/2 times wider so stagecoaches could turn around. The four lots at the intersection were set aside as the town square. Today two of . . . — Map (db m24775) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — The Village Ice Cream Parlor
Side A: The building at 22 S. Broadway sits on lot No. 99 of the 1802 plat of Lebanon. In 1854, Henry C. Meloy ran a grocery store here while his family lived on the 2nd floor. After his death in 1889, it was used as a saloon, a . . . — Map (db m24778) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — 3-83 — Thomas Corwin (1794 - 1865)
One of the most effective political orators of his era, Tom Corwin (nicknamed "the Wagon Boy" for his War of 1812 service) resided here from 1839 until his death. A Whig stump speaker known for his wit and eloquence, he was elected governor of Ohio . . . — Map (db m24061) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — 2-83 — Union Village (1805 - 1912)
Side A: Union Village, the first and largest Shaker (United Society of Believers) community west of the Allegheny Mountains, was established in 1805. Nearly 4,000 Shakers lived in Union Village, the last living here until 1920. They owned 4,500 . . . — Map (db m24074) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Lebanon — Van Sickle House
Side A: Located on lot No. 29 of the 1802 town plat, this land was bought by William H. Van Sickle in 1868 for $800. The house was built a short time later. Van Sickle was the grandson of one of Lebanon's founders, Ephraim Hathaway. A village . . . — Map (db m25059) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement