Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Leonardtown, Maryland Historical Markers

 
A Town Spared Marker image, Touch for more information
By Allen C. Browne, January 10, 2015
A Town Spared Marker
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — A Town SparedStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
In July 1813, British troops seized St. Clements and St. George Islands and established a base at Point Lookout. From there they repeatedly raided the countryside, terrorizing local residents They ramped up their assault in the summer of . . . — Map (db m80392) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Center of CitizenshipTarget of Three-Prong Attack
Leonardtown's Early Years Carved from a large land grant named New Towne Hundred by an act of Maryland's Early Colonial government to advance commerce, this area had been known by several other names --Sheppard's Old Fields, Seymour Towne, . . . — Map (db m81523) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Fun on the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
The waterfront was fun and exciting for all ages. The last quarter of the 19th century has been called Maryland's Golden Age. It was a time of expanding educational and economic opportunities and during those years, the waterfront provided . . . — Map (db m62711) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Invasion!Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
Imagine the scene here on July 19, 1814, as Breton Bay filled with barges of British Royal Marines intent on attacking Leonardtown. Rear Admiral George Cockburn led the invasion force that came ashore at the town wharf. Raiders also approached the . . . — Map (db m62640) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — LeonardtownEstablished in 1660
Named Seymour Town in honor of Governor John Seymour and designated St. Mary’s county seat by the General Assembly in 1708. Name changed to Leonardtown by the General Assembly in 1728 in honor of Leonard Calvert, first colonial governor of Maryland. — Map (db m953) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — LeonardtownSpies, Intriguers and Blockade Runners
When the white citizens of St. Mary’s County voted here in the 1860 presidential election, John Breckenridge, the secessionist candidate who carried Maryland, got 920 votes. Abraham Lincoln received 9 percent of the popular Maryland vote; the . . . — Map (db m955) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Site of the Methodist Episcopal Meeting House (c.1847)
The Oldest Surviving Building on Washington Street A Prime Example of Adaptive Re-Use Listed in the Maryland Historical Trust 1852 – Wesley Chapel 1875 – St.Mary's Reading Room         and Debating Society – Library . . . — Map (db m81522) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Steamboats at the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
A Way of life...never to be seen again. David C. Holly, Tidewater by Steamboat In the midst of the War of 1812, The Chesapeake, first steamboat built to ply the waters of the Chesapeake Bay, safely made its maiden voyage . . . — Map (db m62718) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — The Great House
On this site, lot 39, as designated of a plat of Leonardtown c. 1728, was constructed the “Great House” of John Stewart. Built c. 1734, the structure stood until 1960 and over the years served many purposes being referenced at various . . . — Map (db m80379) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — The Mural Story
The mural scene depicts various time periods in Leonardtown’s history. In general, the left side of the painting presents an older time period, around the turn of the century. As you move to the right, the chronology advances to a point in the . . . — Map (db m957) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — This Cannon
This cannon was brought to Maryland in 1634 on The Ark. Used in defense of St. Mary’s City and as a St. Inigoes Manor boundary marker. Presented to St. Mary’s County Historical Society by The Society of Jesus. (original inscription . . . — Map (db m956) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Trade on the WaterfrontLeonardtown Wharf
The Wharf Connected Leonardtown to the outside world. Before roads were built, or rails laid for trains, goods and people traveled by ship. In the mid-1600s, ships called directly at the wharves of Maryland plantations to pick up tobacco, . . . — Map (db m62678) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — Tudor Hall
Formerly Americus Felix Secundus Built by Abraham Barnes in 1750 Extensively Enlarged by Philip Key In 1796 Is Now Dedicated to All Citizens of St. Mary's County As a Free Public Library The Gift of Mary Patterson Davidson 1950 . . . — Map (db m80358) HM WM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — War Comes to Breton BayTudor Hall — Grand Home of Maryland Patriots
In 1812, our young Nation went to war against what was then the mightiest sea power on earth - Great Britain. It has been suggested that what Americans call the War of 1812 was instead the "American Theater" of the very first wrold war when France . . . — Map (db m17428) HM
Maryland (St. Mary's County), Leonardtown — World War I Monument -- LeonardtownGloria Pro Patria In Armis Contendere
This Monument is gratefully erected by the citizens of St. Mary's County in honor of her heroes in the World War 1917-1918 and dedicated to this 11th day of November 1921 Gloria Pro Patria Mori The Names on this monument are . . . — Map (db m62749) WM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement