Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lewiston, New York Historical Markers

 
Westward image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, March 24, 2015
Westward
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — 500 Center Street Archaeological Site
Archaeological investigations at the First Niagara Bank at 500 Center Street in Lewiston, New York, yielded abundant information about how people utilized the site during historic and prehistoric times. Prehistoric artifacts recovered from the . . . — Map (db m82110) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Alumni Hall / Chapel — (1872)
Ravaged by fire on two separate occasions, Alumni Hall stands today as the second oldest building on campus. Construction began in 1874, but the building was not completed until 1888. All but its stately stone exterior was destroyed by fires in 1898 . . . — Map (db m77277) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Bailo Hall (1992)
Completed in 1992, Bailo Hall houses the admissions offices and interview rooms for prospective students. The two-story stone and brick building was built through the generosity of Rose Marie Bailo in memory of her husband, Joh Bailo, and her son, . . . — Map (db m87770) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Barton House
Erected in 1815 by Major Benjamin Barton. His earlier home destroyed in the burning of Lewiston by the British. The hill top was the site of a U.S. artillery battery in the Battle of Queenston, the first conflict on the Niagara Frontier in the War . . . — Map (db m82238) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — British Landing
British troops commanded by Col. Murray landed December 19, 1813 on shore of river - marched north - captured Fort Niagara holding it until May 22, 1815.Map (db m67338) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Clet Hall, Marillac Hall, Laboure Hall — 1862
Clet Hall (1862) The first building erected after purchase of the campus in 1856 was Clet Hall. it was build in 1862 to house Our Lady of Angels Seminary, the institution that was the forerunner of Niagara University. Clet has two wings, . . . — Map (db m77245) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Dedicated to the Men and Women
Dedicated to the men and women of this community who served our country in time of war. — Map (db m82300) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Dickersonville Cemetery
Burial Ground of Early Settlers Hannah Mills 1811, Isaac Woolson 1820, 2nd Lt. John Farley 1822. Historic Preservation Commission, Town of Lewiston. — Map (db m72999) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Dunleavy Hall — (1972)
Dunleavy Hall is named for its primary benefactors, Francis J. Dunleavy, Class of '41, and his wife Albina. The modern structure, distinctive in contrast to the stately 19th- and 20th-century buildings that dominate the campus, was built at a cost . . . — Map (db m78638) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Fighting for Homeland — American Indian Allies — New York State French & Indian War Commemoration - 250 Years
British and French Compete for Alliances Both the French and the British negotiated with American Indian tribes, either to gain their support or to convince them to remain neutral. In Canada, Algonquian tribes; the Ottawa, Huron, Abenaki, and . . . — Map (db m77202) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — For God and Country
Throughout its history, Niagara has prepared its graduates in peace and war for service to America. From the Civil War to both World Wars and Vietnam, its men and women have served with distinction. This monument commemorates those who . . . — Map (db m78858) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Fort Demler — The British fortify the Portage route
The British gained control of the region in 1759 and, in 1762, constructed a small post, Fort Demler, to protect the landing area. Initially garrisoned by a platoon of eight soldiers, the fort consisted of a small, two-room guardhouse and a 54' by . . . — Map (db m66322) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Fort Joncaire
2nd building in Lewiston Built 1720 near this spot A palisaded trading post First French Fort on Niagara RiverMap (db m57148) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Freedom Crossing Monument
A tribute to the enslaved who sought a new life of freedom in Canada and to the local volunteers who help them on their journey to cross the Niagara River. Lewiston, New York The underground railroad was a secret network . . . — Map (db m66339) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Freedom Crossing Monument
It was here, along the Niagara River in the mid-1800s, that enslaved African Americans from the Southern United States first saw Canada, known as "the Promised Land" -- the place where they could live free forever. Local volunteers, led by Josiah . . . — Map (db m66400) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Gacioch Family Alumni and Admissions Center — (1926)
Originally named Our Lady of Angels Faculty House, the Gacioch Family Alumni and Admission Center is home to Niagara University's Offices of Advancement, Admissions, Alumni, and Public Relations/Marketing. The building originally opened in 1926, . . . — Map (db m77247) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Grand View
Built 1849 by Reuben H. & Maria Barton Broughton. R.H. Broughton served as state assemblyman - 1837. Town Supervisor - 1856. In 1857, it was purchased by Silas Hopkins, first judge of Niagara County and was named Grand View. Grand View was . . . — Map (db m82803) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Hennepin Hall
Built in the 1840's by Sherbourne Piper. Many prominent Lewiston families have resided here. Purchased by the Catholic parish in 1953 and renamed for Father Hennepin, a Catholic priest who accompanied LaSalle to this area in 1678. — Map (db m82776) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Hennepin Park
This park is named after Father Louis Hennepin, a Belgian missionary who accompanied the French explorer Sieur de La Salle to this area in 1678. Hennepin, a Recollect priest, was not the first European to see Niagara Falls, but his colorful written . . . — Map (db m82132) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — In Memory of Thomas F. Hopkins
who at the age of 21, perished, whilst nobly endeavoring to stay the progress of the fire which consumed the seminary, Dec. 5, 1864. — Map (db m77282) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Kelsey Tavern
Erected in 1820 by Thomas and Catherine Kelsey. In 1825 Marquis De Lafayette spent the night in this inn and was reunited with Nicholas Cusick, a Tuscarora Chief, who was his scout during the Revolution and whom he credited with with saving his life. — Map (db m82099) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Kiwanians Promoting Peace — Then & Now
June tenth 1963. A peace plaque was established at the international boundary on the new Lewiston-Queenston Bridge by the Kiwanis Club of Lewiston, New York and the Stamford, Ontario Club. The plaque was unveiled by Richard H. Drake, left, president . . . — Map (db m82129) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Lewiston Academy — Built in 1824
This cornerstone is all that remains of the first New York State chartered school in Niagara County. Students from both sides of the border attended this fine school from 1826 through the 1850's.

This monument placed by the Bicentennial . . . — Map (db m75650) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Lewiston Mound
This Hopewell-sytle burial mound dates to A.D. 160+80. Thousands of similar mounds are located in the Ohio River Valley where the Hopewell lived in small scattered settlements from about 200 B.C. to A.D. 500.The Hopewell mound builders were . . . — Map (db m66334) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Little Yellow House - 1816
In 1810, the few settlers of the village under the leadership of pioneers Bates Cooke and Benjamin Barton petitioned the state of New York to have this area changed from a public square to building lots for purposes of selling. Benjamin Barton was . . . — Map (db m72506) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Lower Landing Archeological District — National Historic Landmark
Lower Landing Archeological District has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America The . . . — Map (db m66332) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Lynch Hall (1927), O'Donoughue Hall (1909)
Lynch Hall (1927) One of the campus residence halls, this four-story structure was completed in 1927. It is named for the Rev. John J. Lynch, C.M. (1816-1888), the co-founder of this university. In 1856, Father Lynch and a colleague, Father . . . — Map (db m77246) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Oak Hill and Scovell Knoll
Scovell Knoll is a rocky outcrop formed by an erosion-resistant bedrock cap that protected the area from the leveling effects of the glaciers during the end of the last ice age. The area has hydrologic features associated with fissures in the . . . — Map (db m82247) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Opera Hall
Built by Joseph T. Hewitt, about 1840, as a series of stores. Later became known as Moss Hall. At one time housed a Waterfrount mission. Was the center of social activity, known as the Opera Hall, at the turn of the century. The west section was . . . — Map (db m82096) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — O'Shea Hall (1967), Seton Hall (1970)
O'Shea Hall (1967)One of the two largest residence halls on campus, O'Shea Hall was completed in 1967. The eight-story structure has a capacity of 400 students. Administrative offices are located in the basement and on the ground floor. It is . . . — Map (db m78639) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Robert Moses Niagara Power Plant Turbine
Turbine Specifications: Vertical Francis Hydraulic Turbine Manufactured by - Voith Siemen Hydro Power Co., York, PA Placed in Service - 1991 Approximate weight - 92 tons Diameter - 17 feet 8 inches (5.38 meters) Maximum Horsepower . . . — Map (db m77166) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Site of Hustler's Tavern
This is the site of the once famous Hustler's tavern (no longer standing) where legend says the cocktail was invented. This popular establishment was one of Lewiston's original buildings and was the social hub of the community. The owners, Thomas . . . — Map (db m73169) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — St. Vincent's Hall — (1906)
Commonly known as "Vinnie's," this four-story "Collegiate Gothic" structure is named for St. Vincent de Paul, founder of the Congregation of the Mission. Originally called "The New Gymnasium," is was named St. Vincent's in 1909, some three years . . . — Map (db m77280) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Suspension Bridge Tollhouse — July 21, 1899 to November 2, 1962
This tollhouse was part of the Lewiston-Queenston Suspension Bridge which spanned the Lower Niagara River at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment near today’s Artpark.

Historic Lewiston Bridge Linked U.S. with Canada After the first . . . — Map (db m75744) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Battle of Queenston Heights — War of 1812 — October 13, 1812
On this day, Major General Stephen Van Rensselaer launched a U.S. attack on British Canada with an assault force of regulars and militia. Initially they were pinned down along the shore until Captain John Ellis Wool and his men scaled the heights . . . — Map (db m57083) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Battle of Queenston Heights — First Battle of the War — War of 1812
From this point on October 13, 1812, U.S. troops launched an invasion of Queenston Heights, Canada in an attempt to seize Fort George and control the river. The Battle was a disaster for the Americans, as they suffered heavy losses and ultimately . . . — Map (db m57088) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Cibola Anchor
From the wreckage of the steamship Cibola which caught fire at the Lewiston dock on July 15, 1895. Tragedy struck in 1895 when the Cibola caught fire at the Lewiston dock and in turn, burned the American Hotel to the ground. The fire started in . . . — Map (db m82152) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Cradles — British military engineering eases the ascent from the river to the top of the Escarpment.
Originally, Seneca porters carried goods and boats up the Escarpment for the French and the british. In 1750, Swedish traveler Peter Kalm reported that 200 Seneca were employed in carrying on their backs packs of bear and deer skin and that he saw . . . — Map (db m66328) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The First Religious Society of Lewiston
Organized and Presbyterian form of government adopted on January 20th, 1817, by Aaron and Lucy Childs, John and Elizabeth Robinson and Polly Huggins. Incorporated on June 12th, 1817, by Benjamin Barton, Aaron Childs, Erastus Park, Augustus Porter, . . . — Map (db m82235) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Gully and Portage Road — The beginning of safe passage around the treacherous waters of Niagara Gorge and the Falls
Located at the base of the Niagara Escarpment, the ravine known as the Gully provided a naturally sheltered docking area where the Niagara River flows out of the steep and unnavigable Niagara Gorge. From this docking area, the Gully provided access . . . — Map (db m94983) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Lewiston Mound
This Hopewell-style burial mound dates to A.D. 160+80. Thousands of similar mounds are located in the Ohio River Valley where the Hopewell lived in small scattered settlements from about 200 B.C. to A.D. 500. The Hopewell mound builders were great . . . — Map (db m94966) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Long and The Short House
Built in the 1820's by a lawyer named William Hotchkiss. The Long House, his home was the center of social activity after the War of 1812. The Short House was his law office. — Map (db m82117) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Lower Landing — Northern terminus of the Niagara Porter, early bypass route around Niagara Falls
For early travelers coming up the Niagara River on their way from Lake Ontario to the other Great Lakes, this area - known as the Lower Landing - marked the beginning of the Niagara Portage, the shortest and most accessible route around Niagara . . . — Map (db m66302) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Magazin Royale — A simple structure with a grand name establishes a permanent French presence at the Lower Landing
Louis Thomas de Joncaire, a French soldier captured and adopted by the Seneca until repatriated in 1694, played an important role for the French as an interpreter and trader. Joncaire and his sons are the French men most commonly associated with the . . . — Map (db m66264) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — The Seminary of Our Lady of Angels
Foundation Day: November 21, 1856. Feast of the Presentation of Mary. Co-Founders: Most Reverend John Timon, C.M. First Bishop of Buffalo; and Reverend John J. Lynch, C.M. First President of SOLA, First Archbishop of Toronto. First Location: St. . . . — Map (db m87903) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Tuscarora Heroes Monument — Skaru:rę? Kayękwatihčayę'hčreh
In honor of the brave members of the Tuscarora Nation who defended and saved local residents during the war of 1812. On the morning of December 19, 1813, Lewsiton was attacked by British forces and their Native allies from Canada. The British had . . . — Map (db m72727) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Tuscaroras Defend Lewiston Against 1813 British Attack — War of 1812
Path of Destruction. Early in the winter of 1813, British forces and their Native allies launched an all-out assault on the Niagara Frontier. About a dozen Lewiston residents were killed in the attack, and the British looted the buildings and . . . — Map (db m80502) HM WM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Underground Railroad Station #6
John Tryon was a Lewiston Abolitionist, elder of First Presbyterian Church and a conductor of the Underground Railroad. He helped countless runaway slaves attain their freedom across the Niagara River from a house known as "Tryon's Folly." This . . . — Map (db m82181) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Varsity Village (1939), Timon Hall (1952)
Varsity Village (1939) Built to accommodate students who were then housed in St. Vincent's Hall, these six Tudor-style houses once stood on the bank of a small lake that existed on campus. For many years they were used exclusively by male senior . . . — Map (db m78659) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lewiston — Welcome to Earl W. Brydges Artpark State Park
This 172-acre park is situated below the Niagara Escarpment and the Niagara Gorge, and affords excellent views of the Niagara River and surrounding area. Artpark opened in 1974 as a seasonal outdoor cultural state park, the first in the country to . . . — Map (db m94967) HM

50 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.