Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Lexington, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Cotton Gin and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Scott, August 22, 2009
Cotton Gin and Marker
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Cotton Gin
This c. 1850 building once stood north of the Saluda River in the Dutch Forks Pineridge area. Turned by one or two mules or horses, the wooden gears underneath powered the saw-toothed gin upstairs to extract seed from raw cotton. Working eight . . . — Map (db m22042) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Daniel Koon House
This c. 1810 cottage was built on Bear Creek southeast of present Chapin by the family of Daniel Koon (1810-1876) who, with a secession of three wives, fathered 14 children. Self-taught, he spoke four languages and was well-known for his talent in . . . — Map (db m137676) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Hazelius House
Built c. 1820 by the Gross family and bought by the Lutheran Synod in 1834, this house served as home to the Lutheran Seminary's headmaster, Dr. Ernest Hazelius, during that school's location here 1834-1858. Theologian, historian, . . . — Map (db m21954) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — John Fox House
Built on this site c. 1832, this vernacular farm house was home to the family of John Fox (1805-1884), whose plantation, The Point, was located 3 miles northwest of here. Fox served as Sheriff, Clerk of Court, Representative, and Senator for . . . — Map (db m22026) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — John Fox House
Built on this site c. 1832, this vernacular farm house was home to the family of John Fox (1805-1884), whose plantation, The Point, was located 3 miles northwest of here. Fox served as Sheriff, Clerk of Court, Representative, and Senator for . . . — Map (db m22032) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Kitchen
This kitchen, built c. 1825 in Batesburg-Leesville by planter Joel Ridgell (1798-1870) whose second wife was a sister of John Fox, is almost identical to the kitchen that originally stood here from 1832 until demolished c. 1920. Each kitchen . . . — Map (db m22034) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Lake Murray
. . . — Map (db m22218) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-28 — Laurence Corley House
[Front]: This log house was built ca. 1771 by Laurance Corley (1742-1815), whose plantation of over 1700 acres occupied much of present-day Lexington. Corley later served in Capt. Gabriel Friday's militia company during the Revolution. . . . — Map (db m22010) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-22 — Lexington Baptist Church
This church was constituted May 21, 1893, with ten charter members. The original one-room frame building, dedicated 1894 and located on land given by James C. Fort, was across Main Street about 600 feet east of here. The congregation of about 150 . . . — Map (db m22198) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Lexington County Confederate Monument
[Southeast] Lexington's valiant sons who went forth to battle for their country's cause. And gave their lives in the service of the Confederate States. A.D. 1861-1865. [Crossed Swords] [List of Names] To . . . — Map (db m22182) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Lexington County Veterans Monument
Obelisk [South] "I do not believe that the men who served in uniform in Vietnam have been given the credit they deserve. It was a difficult war against an unorthodox enemy." Gen. Wm. C. Westmoreland . . . — Map (db m88502) WM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Lexington County World War I Monument
[Southeast] A tribute to the soldiers, sailors, and marines of Lexington County who gave their lives in the World War. 1917 ----- 1918 [Northwest] African-American Veterans Allen, James A.; Buzard, Fred; . . . — Map (db m22184) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-2 — Lexington Courthouses
On this site or close by have stood five courthouses of Lexington District or County. In 1820 Barbara Corley deeded land in the present town for a centrally located courthouse. A later ante-bellum building was burned Feb. 17, 1865 by Sherman. Two . . . — Map (db m22053) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Oak Grove Schoolhouse
This old field-school was built c. 1815 in the Oak Grove area approximately five miles east of here. Typical of early educational facilities in South Carolina, it was a private community school somewhat subsidized with state funds from the Free . . . — Map (db m22012) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Old Time Religion
Around 1888 near this site, Charles D. Tillman was conducting a tent revival and first heard the local Negro spiritual "Old Time Religion." Tillman had the song leader assist him in notating the music and lyrics. It is now seen in . . . — Map (db m22199) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — Post Office
Built c. 1790 as a lawyer's office at Granby on the Congaree River, this building was rolled to the new county seat called Lexington Courthouse in 1820 and was used as a medical office for Dr. Thomas Simmons (1794-1853). His widow, Mary, . . . — Map (db m21937) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-20 — Providence Church
Lutheran church said est. 1862. Admitted to the synod 1866. Present remodeled building, built by 1869, is on land deeded church by Jacob Rauch family. — Map (db m21936) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-24 — St. Stephen's Church
This Lutheran Church, founded by 1830, and the earliest church in Lexington, dedicated its first-known house of worship on this site in 1831. In 1865 Union troops under Wm. T. Sherman burned the structure. The congregation's second building, . . . — Map (db m22208) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-11 — The Sycamore Tree
This tree was planted from a cutting of the old sycamore tree that stood several hundred feet west of here on the historic Two Notch Road. Local tradition holds that there had been a succession of sycamore trees at that site used as a landmark or . . . — Map (db m47549) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 39-12 — Tomb of Dr. E.L. Hazelius
At this site is the grave of the Reverend Ernest L. Hazelius, 1777-1853, Lutheran clergyman, Doctor of Divinity, teacher, and author of several books on church history and theology. From 1834 to 1853, he was professor of theology in the Lutheran . . . — Map (db m22211) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-36 — World War II Bombing Ranges
[Front]: Lake Murray islands, most notably Lunch Island (since 1945 also called Bomb Island or Doolittle Island), Shull Island, and Dreher Island, were used as bombing ranges during World War II. B-25 crews from the Columbia Army Air . . . — Map (db m21535) HM
South Carolina (Lexington County), Lexington — 32-16 — Zion Lutheran Church / Dreher's Fort
Zion Lutheran Church This congregation, the oldest continuing church in Lexington County, originated with pioneers who settled in this area in the 1740s. Organized at Zion in 1787 was the "Corpus Evangelicum," consisting of fifteen . . . — Map (db m21558) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement