Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Liberty, Missouri Historical Markers

 
Mt. Memorial Cemetery NRHP Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 30, 2013
Mt. Memorial Cemetery NRHP Marker
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — "The Old Graveyard" "Mt. Memorial Cemetery"
On July 5th, 1836, Andrew Hixon and wife, Ann, conveyed by Warranty Deed to the "Town of Liberty" Trustees for $30, one acre, "for the purpose of a public burying ground". Used as such before the 1825 settlement of Liberty. "The Old Graveyard", . . . — Map (db m68263) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 1 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1894 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68153) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 11 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1880 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68188) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 12 North Main Street
This property built in 1885 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1993 — Map (db m68129) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 15 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1875 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68189) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 16 North Main Street
This property built in 1885 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1993 — Map (db m68127) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 17 East Kansas Street
This property built in c. 1877;1915 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68190) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 7 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1886 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68157) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — 9 East Kansas Street
This property built in c.1875 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68187) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Alexander W. Doniphan — 1808 - 1887 — Lawyer, Statesman and Military Leader
While living on this site in the 1830's, Alexander Doniphan championed the Constitutional rights of an oppressed people to ensure their religious freedom. He helped create Caldwell County as a refuge for the Mormons in 1836 and refused to carry . . . — Map (db m68243) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Bell-Pharis House — — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark —
Built by Daniel Bell in 1858, an impressive ante-bellum mansion, restored by present owner, Donald Pharis, who also re-erected an early day log cabin here from nearby Richmond. — Map (db m80964) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Boggess Hardware Store — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
This property built in c.1895 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 Formerly the Messick Hotel, was purchased by Sterling Price Boggess in 1902 and . . . — Map (db m68155) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Civil War Memorial
Jewell Hall was used as a hospital and barracks and this hill was fortified by Federal troops under Col. John Scott after their defeat at the Battle of Blue Mills Ferry, Sept. 17, 1861. A line of rifle pits was thrown up from the present location of . . . — Map (db m45555) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County African American Pioneers
[Front] "Come, drink, all who thirst for freedom: The water fountain will no longer separate us as a people." During the Civil War era, one of every four Clay County residents was of African descent. Although sold in slave auctions and . . . — Map (db m68207) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County American Revolution Veterans
Memorial to the Veterans of the American Revolution who once resided in Clay County James Arnold • William Boydston • Samuel Brown • Robert Burnside • William C. Corum • James Crowley • Joel Estes • Henry Green • Thomas Holland • John . . . — Map (db m68270) HM WM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County Courthouse
This property built in 1935-36 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68186) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County Historical Museum — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Drugstore built in 1877 by Daniel Hughes. Owned by Wm. Goodson after 1908. Operated by Joseph Simmons until 1945, then by Clarence Ferril. Purchased from Goodson estate complete with furnishings by Historical Museum in 1965. Walnut cabinets are . . . — Map (db m68128) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Col. John Thornton
was born Dec. 24, 1786 Died in Clay Co. Mo. Oct. 24, 1847 Col. commanding 28 Regt, 3 Brig. 1st Div. Mo. Militia from 1824 to 1829 on the extreme western border of Mo. during the Indian troubles. He represented Clay Co. in the . . . — Map (db m68107) HM WM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Confederate Soldiers
Erected in honor of the Confederate Soldiers of Clay County, Mo. 1904. In memory of the Daughters of the Confederacy of Clay County, Mo. This monument erected through the liberality of citizens of Clay County was concived . . . — Map (db m68105) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Doniphan – Hubbell House
From circa 1830 until 1925 a house stood on this site once occupied by Alexander W. Doniphan. A native Kentuckian, Doniphan practiced law in Clay County for 30 years, defended the Mormons, and founded William Jewell College. During the Mexican War . . . — Map (db m81735) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Faces of the Commonwealth
Immigrants from six continents settled in the rolling hills and prairies of Clay County in the vicinity of the Missouri River. — Map (db m68366) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — First Court House Site — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Originally John Owens' log tavern near Liberty Spring. Used for court sessions until 1831, when the permanent court house was built on the square. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68310) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — First National Bank
This property built in 1923 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1993 — Map (db m68130) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Founding Fathers
In 1803, President Thomas Jefferson buys the Louisiana Purchase from France for $15 million. It remains one of the greatest acquisitions in American history. In 1804, Jefferson sent Meriwether Lewis and William Clark to explore and map the . . . — Map (db m68373) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Frank Hughes Memorial Library
This property built in 1940 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68235) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — General Alexander William Doniphan
Born in Mason Co. Ky. July 3, 1808, and died at Richmond Mo. Aug. 8, 1887 An orator, jurist, statesman, soldier and a Christian ——————— Colonel commanding the United States troops at the . . . — Map (db m68106) HM WM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Goldman-Duckworth House — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
"Steamboat Gothic" design, circa 1870's. Owned by Manheim Goldman, the first permanent Jewish settler in the metropolitan area who operated a store in Liberty. Twice Mayor of Liberty, a founder and chief benefactor of the Odd Fellows Home. . . . — Map (db m68239) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Grand River Baptist Church — Organized December 14, 1833
This plaque was presented to the church December, 1963, in memory of Mr. Hadley Brown (1887-1962), who helped to construct this building in 1918. — Map (db m68266) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Intelligencia
In 1849 William Jewell College was founded by Dr. William Jewell under the auspices of the Missouri Baptist Convention. Jewell Hall is on the National Register of Historic Places. Liberty Ladies College, a private college for women, was opened . . . — Map (db m68314) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Jesse James Bank Museum — Clay County Historical Society Historical Landmark
Built in 1858, only ante-bellum building remaining on the square. Originally housed a branch of the Farmer's Bank. Scene of first daylight robbery in 1866, supposedly by James-Younger gang. Restored to original appearance by Jack Wymore. . . . — Map (db m68210) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — John Dougherty
John Dougherty, a wealthy landowner and Indian agent, stands before his Little Dixie plantation, Multnomah. Dougherty witnessed the area's early history unfold between his birth in 1791 and his death in 1860. As depicted in these ceramic murals, . . . — Map (db m68269) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Jurisprudence
Col. John Thornton, Elisha Cameron and James Gilmore served as the county's first administrative judges. They met at Owen's Tavern until a brick courthouse was built and later burns. In 1869, a second courthouse was constructed. A wooden statue . . . — Map (db m68275) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Kansas City to Liberty to Excelsior Springs Interurban Depot
An Interurban Train Depot once stood just east of this location. Erected in January 1913 by the Kansas City, Clay County and St. Joseph Railway, the depot served as a terminal for passenger and freight service as part of an electric railway that . . . — Map (db m68244) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Lewis and Clark Mural — Dedicated June 24, 2005 — Artist: David McClain
The Clay County Fine Arts Council commissioned this mural in commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery expedition. The artist's version shows the expedition stopping at sundown to set camp along a bend . . . — Map (db m68309) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty
[Front] Early border town, prominent trading and outfitting center, and one of the farthest northwest of U. S. towns to be based on southern culture and economy. Settled about 1820, mainly by southern pioneers, the town became the seat of . . . — Map (db m81749) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Lodge No. 49 I.O.O.F.
This property built in 1923 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 — Map (db m68211) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Mormon Jail
Site of Liberty Jail built in 1833 and used by Clay County in 1856. Joseph Smith and associates held here awaiting trial in 1838-39. Restored as a Historic Site by the Mormon Church in 1963. — Map (db m90343) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Presbyterian Church — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Organized in 1829, first building on this site in 1852, present one in 1888. Additions follow the same architectural pattern. This was the first "Old School" Presbyterian in the County. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68241) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Tribune — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Established by Robert Hugh Miller in 1846, and continually published since. Oldest weekly newspaper west of the Mississippi River. Has had several locations. Bough by Townsend Publications. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68212) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Lightburne Hall — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Built in 1852 by Major Alvan Lightburne as his private residence. This 24 room Greek Revival plantation home is one of Northwest Missouri’s largest surviving antebellum mansions. Union soldiers camped on the grounds during the Civil War. Restored in . . . — Map (db m46678) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Lucy A. Ward Love — Born Mass., 1813 — Died Mo., 1891
A pupil of Mary Lyon, Mt. Holyoke Seminary, Mass. Twenty-five years a teacher in Central and Western Mo., and with her husband, James Love, A.D. 1855, founded Clay Seminary — Map (db m68110) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Mass Grave Site
The undulations in the ground behind this plaque mark the site of the mass burial of 17 men killed at the Battle of Liberty on September 17, 1861. These Federal soldiers came to Liberty to prevent Confederates from joining General Price at the seige . . . — Map (db m45569) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Methodist Episcopal Church Founded 1822 — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
This small frame church was built circa 1842 and is one of the oldest remaining buildings in Liberty. It is build of brick and stucco and has served several uses. In 1855 it became part of the Clay Seminary, an all girls school. One of its most . . . — Map (db m45678) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Passing Pleasures, Tourist Treasures
Clay County offers a variety of interesting choices for visitors. History buffs can visit the Jesse James farm in Kearney, the Elms Hotel, once a popular mineral water destination in Excelsior Springs, the Woolen Mill at Watkins Mill State Park . . . — Map (db m68365) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America Dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty 40th . . . — Map (db m68481) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Riverview — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Believed built by Graham Hughes 1849. Brick kitchen added 1860, interior woodwork 1880. Owned by Wynoop Kiersted, Civil Engineer 1903-1934 and by descendants until 1959. Present owners are Mr. and Mrs. Howard Pavelchek. — Map (db m46577) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Sacred Waters
Mineral waters were tapped as an economic and health benefit in the 1936 dedication of the Hall of Waters in Excelsior Springs. Early Plains Indians had built communities within the county. In hopes to preserve their legacy, archeologist and . . . — Map (db m68321) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Scales and Rails
In 1860 Watkins Mill became the first industry in Clay County. Major industries that followed were Cook Paint and Varnish in 1913, Ralston Purina Company in 1940's and the Claycomo Ford Assembly Plant in 1951. The ASB Bridge was built in 1912 . . . — Map (db m68311) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Site of First Daylight Bank Hold Up in United States
Clay County Savings Association robbed of $60,000 February 13, 1866 Attributed to Jesse James Gang — Map (db m68209) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — St. Luke A.M.E. Church — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Organized in 1875 by Rev. Jesse Mills. First church built in 1876. Present structure dedicated 1942 under pastorate Rev. A.G. Thurman, who also supervised construction. 104th anniversary celebrated 1979 under Rev. Jack Wills. — Map (db m68240) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Suburban Archways
To meet the needs of an increasing population, Antioch Shopping Center was built in 1955. The Northland Fountain, dedicated in 1983, and Tryst Falls provide beauty and enjoyment to many. — Map (db m68322) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — The Lewis and Clark Expedition Across Missouri
“The Deer in the Morning & evening are feeding in great numbers on the banks of the River, they feed on young willow, and amuse themselves running on the open beeches or points.” William Clark, June 25, 1804.

The Lewis and . . . — Map (db m46694) HM

Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — The Liberty Landing
The Liberty Landing, also known as Baxter’s Landing, located at the base of the bluffs one half mile west of Missouri 291 Highway, played a significant role in the history and development of Liberty, Missouri as well as Clay County. In use from 1829 . . . — Map (db m46604) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — The Liberty Spring
. . . — Map (db m46205) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — The Trenches On The Hill
Rumors of a Confederate Invasion which would include the burning of Liberty and a raid on Fort Leavenworth resulted in the fortifying of this hill in April, 1862. Doors from nearby homes were used to line the trench across the hill. This marker is . . . — Map (db m46619) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Veterans Memorial
Our veterans will never be forgotten in the County of Clay. Though all their names we do not know to this day, this memorial is dedicated to each one and all, past, present, and future for their courageous efforts to duty for our great nation . . . — Map (db m68453) WM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — War Memorial — (Left: Anguish and Right: Serenity)
Missouri soldiers from all the great wars are flanked on each side by white doves. The North and South acknowledges each other with a wave. — Map (db m68312) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — World War Memorial — Lest We Forget
In memory of the heroic achievements of Clay County Men in the World War 1917 - 1918 — Map (db m68126) WM

58 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement