At the head of the hollow to the south was last home of General Saint Clair. He served in the Revolutionary army, in the Continental Congress, and was first Governor of the Northwest Territory. His grave is at Greensburg. — — Map (db m48067) HM
This cement marker is one of 3,000 markers that were erected along the Lincoln Highway from New York City to San Francisco, approximately one per mile.
On September 1, 1928, cement posts with bronze medallions bearing President Lincoln's profile . . . — — Map (db m49264) HM
French and Indian troops defeated a party of 100 Virginians under the command of Captain Thomas Bullet near here on May 22, 1759. Bullet and his troops were taking provisions from Bedford to Fort Ligonier when they were attacked. They suffered over . . . — — Map (db m68064) HM
Built by order of General Forbes. Was located 200 yards west of this marker. The road leads south-westward to 12 mile encampment. Eminent service was rendered here by Colonel Henry Bouquet and Colonel John Armstrong and in . . . — — Map (db m48072) HM
Built here 1758 as a base of Forbes expedition. Under Colonel James Burd withstood French and Indian attack, October 22, 1758. Only small fort in West not taken in Pontiac's War, 1763, it made possible Bouquet's rescue of Fort Pitt. — — Map (db m48073) HM
The first English fort west of the Alleghany Mountains was built five hundred feet south-east of this spot, in 1758 by order of General John Forbes, and named in honor of Lord John Ligonier.
Here General Forbes with the aid of Colonels George . . . — — Map (db m48076) HM
This monument marks the site of Fort Ligonier. It was built in 1758 during the French and Indian War by Colonel Henry Bouquet and named by his Commander General John Forbes, in honor of Sir John Ligonier, Commander in-chief of the British Armies. . . . — — Map (db m61086) HM
President Dwight D. Eisenhower, seen by 30,000 in Ligonier on September 26, 1958, climaxed his visit with a public address on this site. He sealed into the Century Chain the open Bicentennial Link, using as ax from the forts artifacts. The . . . — — Map (db m61087) HM
In 1895, people from Pittsburgh could find refuge from the hustle and bustle of the city in Ligonier. At this time, Mr. Wiliam J. Potts, Ligonier's first Mayor, built a Victorian residence on this site for his wife Jessamine. It was the first home . . . — — Map (db m49265) HM
In 1938 The Rollo Coaster opens to a crowd of 18,000. Standing 27' tall and 900' long, the unique out-and-back ride was constructed on a hillside. The wood for the ride was cut on park property, utilizing a sawmill built next to the construction . . . — — Map (db m76913) HM
The longest-operating amusement park in Pennsylvania and among the oldest in the nation. In 1878, Thomas Mellon leased land along his Ligonier Valley Railroad hoping to increase passenger traffic by opening a picnic ground. Amusement rides began to . . . — — Map (db m60066) HM
[on depot] Idlewild Park was a regular stop on the Ligonier Valley Railroad, which connected with the P.R.R.'s main line at Latrobe from 1878 to 1952. This was the depot. It had a waiting room, ticket agent room, freight express room. "Ripley" . . . — — Map (db m77025) HM
One of the builders of the Ligonier Valley Rail Road whose benefactions and civic leadership advanced immeasurably the welfare of this community
Incorporated April 13, 1853 the Ligonier Valley Rail Road Company operated continuous passenger and . . . — — Map (db m131980) HM
William F. Johnston, Governor of Pennsylvania, 1848-1852, was born near here, 1808. This house, built by his father, 1815, was his boyhood home. Known as Kingston House, it has been cited as a fine example of colonial style. — — Map (db m48077) HM
Dedicated April 6, 1957
Better Wildlife Management
On November 3, 1955, the Game Commission purchased this property from the Ligonier Valley Railroad Company, which was incorporated on April 13, . . . — — Map (db m49213) HM
The train crash that occurred on Friday, July 5, 1912 was described in the Ligonier Echo as "A frightful and most terrible wreck. The worst ever known in the history of Westmoreland County railroading, happened about 3:30 p.m. on the Wilpen branch . . . — — Map (db m131966) HM
This beautiful carousel was built by the talented craftsmen of the Philadelphia Toboggan Co., who carved the solid wood horses and the intricate crown.
The first year these horses galloped to the sound of laughing children, this merry-go-round . . . — — Map (db m76911) HM
Pleasure driving along the Lincoln Highway has long been a popular pastime. Motorists sought and continue to seek scenic beauty and amusements, such as Idlewild Park.
For most of its history, the Lincoln Highway was lined with attractions, . . . — — Map (db m76912) HM
This cast iron sign originally stood beside the Ligonier Valley Railroad tracks that passed through Idlewild. Several more can be found along the route of the park's narrow gauge train the "Loyalhanna Ltd." — — Map (db m77024) HM
The rise and fall of the railroad corresponded to the continuing increase of roads, like the Lincoln Highway. Railroads were needed for transportation because roads were virtually impassable. But once new paving techniques made road surfaces . . . — — Map (db m49218) HM
As the Lincoln Highway prospered, many towns saw the introduction of automobile dealerships onto Main Street. In 1920, A.J. McColly purchased this site, tore down two frame houses, along with a blacksmith shop, and erected this building for his . . . — — Map (db m49266) HM
Named in honor of General Arthur Saint Clair.
The source of this hollow is a large spring two miles south, where General Saint Clair, in a log cabin, spent his last days.
A Major General in the American Revolution.
President of the . . . — — Map (db m48068) HM
As you look before you in the distance to the building behind Holy Trinity Church, you are taking a look into the past of the Ligonier Valley Railroad. The structure was built in 1920 as the Roundhouse and Repair Shop for trains which operated . . . — — Map (db m131982) HM