Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lincoln, New Mexico Historical Markers

 
Col. Dudley's Camping Place Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Kirchner, July 24, 2011
Col. Dudley's Camping Place Marker
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Col. Dudley's Camping Place
Encamped a few yards away on July 19, 1878 were U.S. troops from Fort Stanton. Allegedly brought to protect lives and property, their presence quickened Murphy party into firing McSween's residence and pillaging the Tunstall store. — Map (db m45989) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Earliest Courthouse
Three room adobe, seat of law and justice when Lincoln County was established, 1869. Routine issuing of warrants and records, trials for crimes large and small, all issued from it. Now called Priest's House, belongs with neighboring church. — Map (db m45971) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Lincoln
Side A: Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850's, after the U. S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Rio Bonito, the name of the community was changed to Lincoln when . . . — Map (db m46007) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — 421 — Lincoln
This is a two-sided marker Side A: Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850s, after the U.S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Río Bonito, the name of the community . . . — Map (db m119774) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Lincoln Historic DistrictNational Historic Landmark
This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m120329) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Montano Store
Owned by Montano family, one of first in Lincoln. Operated as a general store by Jose Montano, neutral in Lincoln County War. Its 25 man garrison of McSween men, led by Martin Chaves, were driven out by Col. Dudley and troops in July fight. — Map (db m45972) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Murphy-Dolan Store
Built in 1874, as place of business and residence of L.G. Murphy & Co., a dominant factor in area in 1870's, and headquarters of the Murphy faction during Lincoln County War. Firm failed, and store became county gov't and judicial center for 33 . . . — Map (db m119775) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Old Dolan Home
Built in 1888 by J.J. Dolan, who took part in the L.C. War on the Murphy side, and afterwards was conspicuous in county affairs. In later times the building served as a hotel, the most familiar name being Bonito Inn. — Map (db m45961) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — 12 — San Juan Church
La Iglesia de San Juan Bautista was dedicated in 1887 and was restored by the New Mexico State Monuments in 1984. — Map (db m45970) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Site of Old Wortley Hotel
In this frontier hostelry lodged judges during court terms, court's retainers. Here Robt. M. Ollinger, at table, noon, April 28, 1881, heard shooting from Courthouse, rushed to his death at hands of William H. Bonney. — Map (db m45960) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Site of Squire Wilson's Home
South some 75 yds. was the lone adobe house of J.B. Wilson, noted J.P. in Lincoln Co. War. At night, Mar 17, 1879 he helped Gov. Lew Wallace meet with Bill Bonney, leader of remaining McSween men, and arranged a surrender under promise of protection. — Map (db m45969) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Site of the McSween Home
Opening a law office in Lincoln, 1875, Alex A. McSween rebuilt an old adobe into a ten room house. On July 19, 1878, Peppin's posse fired it to oust inmates. Leading victim of this strategm was McSween himself. The burned-down house was never . . . — Map (db m45992) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Torreon
One of Lincoln's earliest structures. Built in the 1850's, its thick walls protected Spanish-Americans against the Apaches. In Lincoln Co. War Murphy's sharpshooters were here stationed. In 1937 Chaves County Historical Society undertook restoration . . . — Map (db m45990) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — Tunstall-McSween Store
J.H. Tunstall and A. A. McSween erected-1877. A focal point in Lincoln County War in which both partners were slain. Despite looting by Seven Rivers group, building continued as a store under pioneer merchants, notably John M. Penfield. — Map (db m45991) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.