The Texas Legislature created Lipscomb County in 1876, naming it for early Texas Statesman Abner Lipscomb. Approximately ten years later, J.W. Arthur settled in this vicinity and built a wood and sod structure that he used as a general store and . . . — — Map (db m129604) HM
Established in 1886 and organized the following year with Lipscomb as county seat, Lipscomb County was named for Abner S. Lipscomb, an associate justice of the Texas Supreme Court in the 1840s-1850s. A one-story wood frame building served as the . . . — — Map (db m93592) HM
Around 1886, the town of Lipscomb was established by J.H. Arthur who built a store and post office out of cottonwood logs. As more people moved to the area, the need for a school arose and, on July 16, 1887, a special meeting was called to organize . . . — — Map (db m93595) HM
Lipscomb Union Church has served the residents of this community since the early 1900s. J.W. Arthur established the town of Lipscomb in 1886, and by the next year it was the county seat. Lipscomb soon boasted several stores, a post office and a . . . — — Map (db m93593) HM
Established, 1886 by settlers hoping to benefit from proposed Santa Fe Railroad in Panhandle.
Post office was opened in 1886; Lipscomb Town Company sold land for $3 an acre in 1887. In first month, seven businesses started.
When county was . . . — — Map (db m93591) HM
Early homesteaders in Lipscomb County were Russians of German descent. These included Jacob M. and Amalia Koch, who were members of St. Johnís Evangelical Lutheran Church, established by the German Russian settlers in 1914. By 1916, the Koch family . . . — — Map (db m93614) HM