Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Livingston, Texas Historical Markers

 
"Polk County Enterprise" Building image, Touch for more information
By Jim Evans, December 15, 2016
"Polk County Enterprise" Building
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10420 — "Polk County Enterprise"
Founded in 1882 as "East Texas Pinery" by J.M. and J.C. Stockton. Changed name to "Polk County Enterprise" about 1903. when the office installed first linotype machine (1920), school was dismissed so pupils could watch it operate. Ben Ogletree . . . — Map (db m100496) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 1905 Courthouse Annex
Washington at Church Street Built in 1905 Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m59689) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10401 — Birthplace of Margo Jones (1911-1955)
World-famed genius of drama. Won Broadway acclaim directing “The Glass Menagerie”. Led move to decentralize American theatre. Established, in Dallas, theatre-in-the-round (first professional, resident, repertory theatre of its kind) and . . . — Map (db m71015) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10388 — Confederate Service of Alabama and Coushatta Indians
Alabama and Coushatta Indians of Polk County were trained as cavalrymen in 1861 by Indian Agent Robert R. Neyland as the war between the states advanced. In April 1862, nineteen Alabama and Coushatta, including Chief John Scott, enlisted in the . . . — Map (db m128580) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10400 — Early Indian Trails
From 1830 to 1840 five Indian trails (some several centuries old) crossed Polk County. the Coushatta and Alabama tribes started two trails and also traveled Long King's, Kickapoo, and Battise traces. These routes helped settlers map roads; modern . . . — Map (db m100499) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10391 — Early Roads in Polk County
Travel was of great importance in Polk County's early days. Civilized Indians—particularly Creeks, Alabamas, Coushattas and Kickapoos—were numerous and had many trails for intercommunication. Long King's Trace (named for a chief) led . . . — Map (db m100493) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 16215 — Forest Hill Cemetery
By 1905, all the lots in Livingston's Old City Cemetery had been filled, and community leaders began looking for a new cemetery site. Residents established Forest Hill Cemetery Association in 1906 and bought land from James and Arabella Henington on . . . — Map (db m114610) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 13280 — Greenfield Cemetery
In 1846, local officials designated a block in the central part of Livingston for use as a cemetery for local African Americans. Originally called Livingston Colored Cemetery, the burial ground was bounded by Feagin, Tyler, Sherman and Houston . . . — Map (db m49731) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — Indian Village
The Alabama and Coushatta Indians settled near here in the early 1780s. Through the efforts of General Sam Houston, Texas gave them 1210 acres in 1854. The Federal Government purchased 3071 acres in 1928. — Map (db m100327) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10407 — Locomotive No. 5
Built in 1911 by Philadelphia's Baldwin Locomotive Works, this locomotive was first used to transport timber in Florida. In the 1920's it was purchased for use in Texas' logging industry by the Angelina County-based Carter-Kelley Lumber Company. The . . . — Map (db m49730) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 12558 — Old City Cemetery (Old Livingston Cemetery)
This historic graveyard began in 1840 with the burial of four-year-old Josephus Choate, son of Moses Livingston Choate (1794-1867) and Ursula Choate (1807-c. 1880). Early pioneers from Kentucky, the Choates moved to Texas and received a league of . . . — Map (db m55829) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 16074 — Polk County
Created from Liberty County March 30, 1846 Organized July 13, 1846 with Livingston as county seat Named for James Knox Polk, 1795-1849 President of the United States Who favored the annexation of Texas Early settlements were . . . — Map (db m119269) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 12712 — Polk County Courthouse
Completed in 1924, this is the fifth courthouse to serve Polk County. Citing "lack of space and modern conveniences," the Commissioners Court hired the Houston architectural firm of McLelland & Fink to design their new building. Contractor Isaac . . . — Map (db m119270) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10419 — Polk County, C.S.A.
During Civil War, 1861-65, an area of piney woods, farms, thickets, with an Alabama-Coushatta Indian reservation. Had only 600 voters in 1860 but sent 900 soldiers into the Confederate Army. Furnished 4 units to Hood's Texas Brigade (Co. B, 1st . . . — Map (db m119271) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10382 — Site of Old Andress Inn
Center civic, social and business affairs, early Polk County. Built about 1848 by James Andress, from South Carolina. Contained restaurant, saloon, grocery store, post office, stage station. Had livery stable nearby. Among noted guests was General . . . — Map (db m71027) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10426 — Site of the Town of Swartwout
86 blocks and 2 public squares were laid out here in 1838 with James Morgan, Arthur Garner and Thomas Bradley as proprietors. Named in honor of Samuel Swartwout (1783-1856), New York speculator and politician who advanced funds in 1836 to the Texas . . . — Map (db m119265) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10381 — Village of the Alabama and Coushatti Indians
Who came into Texas early in the 19th century and have always been friendly with the whites. — Map (db m128581) HM

17 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement