Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Livonia, Michigan Historical Markers

 
George A. Custer U.S. Army Reserve Center Marker image, Touch for more information
By Al Barrera, November 13, 2006
George A. Custer U.S. Army Reserve Center Marker
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — George A. Custer U.S. Army Reserve Center
Dedicated in memory of Major General George A. Custer 1839-1876 Distinguished soldier from the state of Michigan was graduated from U.S. Military Academy 1861 He, with 264 officers and men of the Seventh U.S. Calvary, was killed in action . . . — Map (db m26787) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — Joshua Simmons
began farming this property in 1826. The farm lane started at the barns and ran south down the middle of the farm to this location and the surrounding farm fields. The fence on the east side of the lane and one gate still remain. Part of the farm . . . — Map (db m109986) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — L0139 — Joshua Simmons Farm
In 1824 Joshua Simmons of Bristol, New York, obtained a patent from the federal government for 160 acres of land in Livonia Township. Simmons and his wife, Hannah, were among the township's earliest white settlers. Their first home was a log shanty, . . . — Map (db m34973) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — L1922 — Newburg Methodist Church
By 1834 there were two religious societies in Newburg, one Methodist and one Congregational. The Methodist society was part of the Plymouth Circuit and served by itinerant ministers. The Reverend Marcus Swift was the first pastor. A strident . . . — Map (db m99140) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — L36 — Newburgh Cemetery
An organization, later known as the Newburgh Union Cemetery Society, was formed on Nov. 23, 1832, to establish and maintain this cemetery, the first in the present city of Livonia. One grave, that of Salmon Kingsley, a veteran of the American . . . — Map (db m99141) HM
Michigan (Wayne County), Livonia — L261 — Wilson Barn
This barn was constructed in 1919 on the burnt-out foundation of an earlier structure built about 1888. It is a fine example of an increasingly rare bank barn style. Here, on the farm owned and operated by his family since 1847, Ira Wilson built a . . . — Map (db m78987) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement