Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lockport, New York Historical Markers

 
“Lockport Flight of Five” Marker image, Touch for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, June 2, 2014
“Lockport Flight of Five” Marker
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 4 — “Lockport Flight of Five”
To overcome the great elevation of the Niagara Escarpment, the original canal builders constructed a unique flight of 5 double locks, to lower easterly and raise westerly bound boats some sixty feet. The Erie Canal was constructed in three . . . — Map (db m76938) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 538 — Aaron Mossell
Aaron Mossell and his son Charles were local residents who advanced the struggle to integrate Lockport Schools. Open to all regardless of race by 1876. — Map (db m130675) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 13 — Barge Tie Ups & lock view looking west
When the Barge Canal opened on May 15, 1918, a large steam tug was chartered by the government to tow state boats on the new canal. The wages were based on a monthly scale for a twelve-hour workday and included board. The Captain received $175 per . . . — Map (db m76998) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Big Bridge
Big Bridge. One of the widest bridges in the world; 399 ft. in width, 129 ft. in length. Built 1914. — Map (db m70644) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Bridge No. E-224Canal Road
Originally Millards Hwy. Bridge. Built 1910 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 1993 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m77554) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Bridge No. E-225Day Road
Originally Wakeman's Hwy. Bridge. Built 1909 by Empire Engineering Corp. Rehabilitated 2003 by N.Y.S.D.O.T. — Map (db m77553) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Canal Comparisons
To see the comparison table click on the image to the right to enlarge it Sidebar on the right Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) Was the third President of the United States. In 1808 a delegation from the state of New York approached . . . — Map (db m76963) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Chase-Crowley-Keep House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81606) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Chase-Hubbard-Williams House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m81605) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — City of Lockport Medal of Honor Recipients
City of Lockport Medal of Honor Recipients Michael Huskey, 1st Class Fireman, Civil War 1864 ———— Frank Joseph Gaffney, Pvt. 108th U.S. Infantry, 27th Division, World War I ———— William F. . . . — Map (db m79961) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Col. W. M. Bond House1823
Col. W. M. Bond House 1823 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m79962) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Cold Springs Cemetery
Cold Springs Cemetery. Jesse Hawley, who first advocated building Erie Canal in 1805, is buried here. Friend of DeWitt Clinton. — Map (db m71199) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Dole House
Dole House circa 1845 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m81647) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Donnelly Point
Dedicated to Dudley Donnelly of Lockport. Appointed Colonel of the 28th Regiment, May 18, 1861. Mortally wounded, Battle of Cedar Mountain, August 9, 1862. — Map (db m80498) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 6 — Electric Building
Originally built in 1826 for visionary businessman Lyman A. Spalding, the smaller three-story stone building built on this site became the Norman & Evans Iron Foundry. After the building burned in 1840, it was rebuilt several times and enlarged to . . . — Map (db m76996) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — First Lockport Residents Killed in World Wars I and II
Pvt. Joseph F. O'Hearn, 1890 - 1918, World War I. SSgt. William J. Stamp, 1913 - 1943, World War II. To honor the memory of Pvt. Joseph F. O'Hearn and his nephew SSgt. William J. Stamp who were the first Lockport residents to be killed in World . . . — Map (db m77036) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — House at 8 Berkley Drive
House at 8 Berkley Drive circa 1956 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m82729) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Hydraulic Race Control GatesNational Register of Historic Sites, 1974
Site of gates originally constructed in 1858 to control the inflow of water to the Hydraulic Tunnel and used for mechanical power by three manufacturing establishments. The tunnel was closed in 1954, the gate stems were dismantled, and concrete was . . . — Map (db m105704) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 12 — Life on the Barges
Life aboard the canal barges involved hard work. All members of the family had important roles. The man would be in charge of the animals and manage the entire operation. The wife (and mother) had many chores in addition to caring for the household. . . . — Map (db m76893) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 7 — Lock Construction
From the original Erie Canal to the Barge Canal System, crossing the Niagara Escarpment posed immense challenges to canal engineers. The first Lockport locks were designed by Nathan Roberts, who was in charge of constructing the Erie Canal from . . . — Map (db m76954) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — LockportThe Canalway Trail
After the Erie Canal opened in 1825, Lockport changed from a village of log cabins filled with construction workers into an industrial city. English traveler, Francis Trollope describing Lockport said that "It looks as if the demon of machinery, . . . — Map (db m77812) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport Bank
Established 1829. First and only bank in Niagara County until 1837. Used as bank until 1852. — Map (db m71273) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport City Hall(William K. Moore Co. Mill, Holly Water Works)
The city building began as the Pine Street Customs Mill in 1860. It was later (1884) converted to one of the first water pumping stations in America. In 1893, with a need for a permanent location of the city's government, the building was converted . . . — Map (db m78359) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport Federal Building
The Lockport Federal Building is architecturally significant as an outstanding example of early twentieth century public architecture. Built between 1902 and 1904 from a design by James Knox Taylor, supervising architect of the Treasury Department, . . . — Map (db m77000) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport LocksErected August 16, 1975
In commemoration of the 150th anniversary of the completion of the original locks which opened a connecting waterway between the Hudson River and the Great Lakes. This completion of the Erie Canal was the opening of a door to the settling of the . . . — Map (db m65659) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 1 — Lockport Municipal Building
The City of Lockport wishes to express its appreciation to City Historian William H. Riley (1922-1990) for his dedication, assistance, patience and love for the City of Lockport, New York. Riley’s Way: a walking tour on the Erie Canal is . . . — Map (db m76962) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport War Memorial
·Dulce·Et·Decorum·Est··Pro·Patria·Mori· Erected·in·memory·of those·who·made·the supreme·sacrifice·and to·all·others·who served·in·the·wars·of the·United·States· — Map (db m77032) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Lockport YWCA Building
In 1835 this building was built by Gillette Bacon and sold in 1837 to Dr. George Merchant and again sold in 1861 to Abijah Moss. During the Civil War the home served as a refuge for slaves from the South. During World War I, it was the headquarters . . . — Map (db m77561) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 10 — Lower Lock Construction
In 1903, the people of New York voted to build the Barge Canal System. The new canal, unlike the old, utilized canalized natural water courses as well as artificial channels. The new concrete locks (57 in all) were electrically operated and could . . . — Map (db m76934) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Luther Haven
Luther Haven has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior c. 1891 — Map (db m81570) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Niagara County Courthouse
Niagara County Courthouse has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997 by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m93216) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 5 — Old City Hall
In 1864, Dwight Keep constructed this typical canal era stone structure which began as the Benjamin C. Moore Company Mill. Around 1884, the building was converted from a flour mill to one of the first water pumping plants in America. The Holly Water . . . — Map (db m76994) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 11 — Old Locks West
“The site of the locks at Lockport, from the time of the original canal to the present had never changed. The early engineers found the logical location for locks in this vicinity and the same place has been used ever since. The romance of . . . — Map (db m76892) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Original Niagara Grape Vine
Original Niagara Grape Vine ————— Result of crossing Concord by Cassady 1868 ————— First fruited 1872 ————— Erected by N.Y. State Horticultural . . . — Map (db m82833) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The "Deep Cut" at Lockport
The "Deep Cut" at Lockport Here, only several miles from Lake Erie, Canal engineers faced a major natural barrier. To tap the water of Lake Erie and keep boats afloat, they knew the canal's channel had to flow downhill from the lake. But the . . . — Map (db m93026) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 2 — The “Big Bridge”
The first bridge across the canal in Lockport was located a the extreme eastern end of the Big Bridge. It was a narrow log bridge, only wide enough for one way traffic, with a log on either side for guard rails. Called the “Main Street . . . — Map (db m76955) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Bewley Building
Erected by Richard C. Bewley in 1929 this structure occupies the site of the Hodge Opera House and Merchant's Gargling Oil buildings which were destroyed by fire in 1928. Stone from the original buildings is visible on the rear of the structure. The . . . — Map (db m74133) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Erie Barge Canal at Lockport
The New York State Barge Canal System is 524 miles long of which 348 miles is within the Erie Barge Canal. Although water depths vary, the depth of the water in the Lockport section is approximately 8 - 12 feet.

The Lockport Locks Nos. 34 and . . . — Map (db m74517) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Great American CanalThe Canal System
Different panels appear on opposite sides of the marker The Erie Canal was the most important of America’s inland waterways. It facilitated the opening of the American frontier and provided a route west for tens of thousands of settlers . . . — Map (db m76895) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Kandt Home229 Niagara Street, Lockport, NY.
This dwelling was built by Charles A. and Louise Williams Kandt in 1886 and was occupied by four generations of the Kandt family until 1998 when it was purchased by the Niagara County Historical Society. — Map (db m81732) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Lowertown Historic District
Lowertown is in a geographically distinct section of the City of Lockport with such boundaries as the Erie Canal and the Niagara Escarpment. "A village within a city," Lowertown thrived as Lockport's social, commercial and industrial center . . . — Map (db m77030) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Lowertown Historic District
Dr. George W. Merchant, a skilled druggist and businessman, purchased this property in 1833. This then became the first home of Gargling Oil. It was here, after a series of experiments, he brought out a medicine to be used in the treatment of . . . — Map (db m81785) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Sluice and Hall Spillway
Three waterways: Culvert No. 125, the old raceway, and Eighteen Mile Creek, met the canal in this area.

The old raceway entered the canal about 125 feet east of this point and has since been abandoned. It was used to supply the lower level of . . . — Map (db m74791) HM

New York (Niagara County), Lockport — The Watson House
The Watson House circa 1855 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m81769) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — To Those Who Served
To those who served both God and country — Map (db m93217) WM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Toll Gate Hill
Toll Gate built and owned by the Lockport - Wrights Corners Plank Road Co. One of three toll roads in Niagara County 1849-1905. — Map (db m71269) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 9 — Tour Boat Then & Now
A packet boat was upwards of 80 feet long, 9 feet wide at is extreme breadth, with 50 feet of cabin space in the center for passengers. This left 10 feet of space in the prow and 20 feet for the steerage deck. The long but narrow cabin was . . . — Map (db m76935) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 8 — Upper Locks View
The canal ride from Rochester to Lockport was some what of a lark. The Long Level, as it was known, was a 63 mile trip uninterrupted by locks. The approach to Lockport, after all, marked the next to last stop in a long, weary trip across the state. . . . — Map (db m76894) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — 14 — Upson Park
The Raceway Tunnel was invented by Birdsell Holly. Blasting for the tunnel began in 1858. Construction of the 2,430 foot tunnel took 18 months. The tunnel contains old gates and ruins of buildings from the beginning of the Industrial Age. The cave . . . — Map (db m76936) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — W.H. Upson Coal Company Building
The W.H. Upson Coal Company was founded in 1877. In 1902 Charles A. Upson built this stone building for his father, William Henry Upson, as the company’s offices. In 1910 the building weighing 440 tons, was moved westward 32 feet to make room for . . . — Map (db m77001) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Washington Hunt Law Office
Washington Hunt Law Office, 1835 - 1860. Burned and Rebuilt, 1835. — Map (db m70585) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Welcome to Ida Fritz Park
Welcome to Ida Fritz Park 1908 2001 Historically, Ida Fritz Park is the oldest park in the City of Lockport, created by the NYS Legislature on May 12, 1876. The by-gone fountain was dedicated in 1891. The 7" cannon was presented to Lockport by . . . — Map (db m93231) HM
New York (Niagara County), Lockport — Wyndham Lawn
Wyndham Lawn Home for Children was previously summer home of Governor Hunt — Map (db m74524) HM

53 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement