Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lothian, Maryland Historical Markers

 
Date on tombstone. image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, May 16, 2015
Date on tombstone.
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Anne and Christopher Birckhead1665
These stones mark the graves of Anne and Christopher Birckhead They are believed to be the oldest dated tombstones in Maryland

This registers for her bones, her fame is more perpetual than these stones and still her virtues, though her life . . . — Map (db m83399) HM

Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Benjamin Welch Owens, CSA(1836-1917)
On June 19, 1863, during the War Between the States (1861-65), Private Owens of the 1st Maryland Artillery, Confederate States of America, performed heroically at the Battle of Stephenson's Depot. Owens, born and raised in West River, Anne Arundel . . . — Map (db m22147) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Bitter EndStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail — War of 1812
Joshua Barney’s Chesapeake Flotilla was trapped in the shallows just upriver from here. With orders to keep his boats out of enemy hands, Barney reluctantly ordered his men to destroy the flotilla when the British approached. They laid trains of . . . — Map (db m79987) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Portland Manor
Surveyed Dec. 6, 1667. Portland Landing and Saint Jerome’s surveyed 1700. Owned by Col. Henry Darnall, brother-in-law of Charles, 3rd Lord Baltimore and Secretary of State. — Map (db m3142) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Pvt. Benjamin Welch OwensAn Outstanding Example of Courage
This monument, dedicated on June 17, 1999, honors the memory of a local man, Benjamin Welch Owens, who left his nearby West River farm to join Confederate forces during the Civil War. Owens was among the tens of thousands of men from Maryland who . . . — Map (db m22146) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Lothian — Saint James’ ChurchOld Herring Creek Parish
The first church on this site was built, 1695, and the present structure was completed 1765. The Reverend Henry Hall (1675–1722) served as the first rector, 1698-1722. From 1786–1792 Saint James’ was the home parish of Thomas John . . . — Map (db m3143) HM

6 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement