Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Lufkin, Texas Historical Markers

 
Angelina Statue image, Touch for more information
By Steve Gustafson, February 5, 2010
Angelina Statue
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — Angelina
In 1690, when Spain's Franciscan Fathers founded Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in East Texas, they found a young Indian girl living with her people beside a stream. The priests found her a willing ally for carrying the Catholic Faith to the . . . — Map (db m27249) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12377 — Angelina & Neches River Railroad
Chartered in August 1900 and headquartered in the sawmill town of Keltys, the Angelina and Neches River (A&NR) Railroad began as a small short line railroad to move logs from the woods of East Texas to the mills of the Angelina County Lumber . . . — Map (db m29735) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6981 — Angelina County
Created and organized in 1846. Originally a part of Nacogdoches County. Bears the name of the river traversing the region. The following towns have served as the county seat; Marion,1846-1854; Jonesville,1854-1858; Homer, Feb. 3 - May 17, 1858, when . . . — Map (db m29862) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 14367 — Berry Cemetery
In 1850, Samuel and Elizabeth Berry brought their family and slaves here from Limestone Co., Alabama. Samuel's plantation covered hundreds of acres and included a cotton gin and gristmill. Berry Cemetery began in 1863 when Samuel's grandson and . . . — Map (db m36110) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8722 — Birthplace of Allan Shivers Governor of Texas (1949-1957)
Born here, in now-razed house, Oct. 5, 1907, to Robert and Easter C. Shivers, pioneer East Texas family. As youth, worked at odd jobs to earn own pocket money. Was State Senator 12 years; Lieutenant Governor for two. A strong, progressive Governor, . . . — Map (db m58855) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6984 — Calder (Cotton) Square
City's hub, 1882-early 1900s, teeming with cotton buying, horse trades, band concerts, political rallies, switching railroad trains. Site of fire station, standpipe, 1933 memorial library named for lumberman J. H. Kurth (1857-1930), square was . . . — Map (db m29199) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — Charles "Charlie" Wilson
June 1, 1933 - February 10, 2010 United States Naval Officer and 12-Term United States Representative, 2nd District of Texas A Sonnet to Charlie Now before us in bronze, he once again stands tall: Beloved Texan, who heard his . . . — Map (db m39781) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8709 — City of Lufkin
Founded 1882. Soon became a thriving sawmill community. Named for E.P. Lufkin, chief of crew that surveyed railroad through town. Has been county seat of Angelina County since 1892. Now a regional manufacturing and commerce center. Products include . . . — Map (db m28715) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6994 — Ewing
The boom town of Ewing stood for two decades on the west bank of the Angelina River. Named for plantation owner James A. Ewing, the town was located near a rail line and virgin hardwood forests. In 1919 H.G. Bohissen purchased a 100-acre tract of . . . — Map (db m32058) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6996 — First Baptist Church of Lufkin
Chartered with nine members, the Lufkin Baptist Church began conducting worship services soon after rail lines reached the townsite in the early 1880s. The Houston, East & West Texas Railroad donated land at this site to Joseph Kerr, E.H.F. . . . — Map (db m27247) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6997 — First Christian Church of Lufkin
A Christian church was organized in Angelina County about 1884 in Homer, the county seat. When the railroad line from Houston to Shreveport was built about 5 miles from Homer, the town of Lufkin was built around the depot. Many citizens of Homer . . . — Map (db m57551) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 11656 — First United Methodist Church of Lufkin
Margaret (Fullerton) Abney, born in Alabama in 1829, joined the Methodist church with her family at a camp meeting held at nearby McKendree campground in 1863. Because the nearest Methodist church was ten miles away, Mrs. Abney held bible study . . . — Map (db m28482) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 13709 — German POWs in the East Texas Timber Industry
The U.S. Army began building POW camps in the United States in early 1942 for captured Axis prisoners. During World War II, the Army shipped almost 425,000 military prisoners to 511 camps in the U.S. Approximately 50,000 of those POWs, primarily . . . — Map (db m29450) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7006 — Homer Cemetery
In 1854 W.W. Manning established a drugstore and sawmill in this area, and named the community after his former home in Homer, Louisiana. In 1856 Homer was chosen as Angelina County seat, following a mandate from the Texas Legislature to locate a . . . — Map (db m31713) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7007 — Hoshall
The Houston East and West Texas (HE&WT) Railroad came through Angelina County in 1882 and a community named Bitterweed Flat developed here. In 1913 W.E. Hoshall purchased land and timber rights in the area and began shipping logs from Hoshall Switch . . . — Map (db m36108) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7009 — Kerr's Inc.
Regarded as the oldest Angelina County business in continuous operation, Kerr's began in 1870 as a general store in the early county seat of Homer (5 mi. SE). It was started by Civil War veteran Capt. Joseph Kerr (b. 1828), a native of South . . . — Map (db m29153) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 16011 — KRBA-AM Radio Station
By the 1930s, radio had become an established medium for commercial advertising. In 1938, commercial radio came to Angelina County when Redland Broadcasting Association received the first license in the area. Station manager Darrell Yates financed, . . . — Map (db m38722) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8708 — Lindsey Springs Logging Camp
The naturally occurring Lindsey Springs, located approximately 3/4 of a mile northeast of this location, became the site in 1899 of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's first logging camp. The springs provided an important water source for this vital . . . — Map (db m79122) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8711 — Lufkin Foundry and Machine Company
Chartered in 1902 as a repair shop and parts supply house for local sawmills, Lufkin Foundry & Machine Company was begun by J.H. Kurth, Frank Kavanaugh, Sr., Frank Kavanaugh, Jr., Eli Wiener and Simon Henderson. Later, under the leadership of W.C. . . . — Map (db m29845) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 11657 — Lufkin Telephone Exchange
Telephone service in Lufkin began in 1898 when Dr. Alexander Madison Denman and his friend Judge Edwin James Mantooth strung telephone wires between their offices. The system was so popular that the pair soon formed the Lufkin Telephone Exchange . . . — Map (db m29355) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6992 — Machinery from Early East Texas Logging Railroads
Steam locomotive and tender No. 3 were bought 1908 by Carter-Kelley Lumber Co., for use in building a sawmill at Manning (about 18 mi. south); then in railroad building, logging, and passenger and freight hauling schedules. The 1906 wood-burning . . . — Map (db m28803) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 16955 — Mantooth Farm
Members of the Mantooth family came to Angelina County in 1858. Albert Edwin (Eddie) Mantooth (1874-1969) was born in Homer, Angelina County, to Albert and Mary Richard Hall Mantooth. In 1897, Eddie married Sarah Annie Atkinson Mantooth (1879-1914). . . . — Map (db m58779) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8721 — Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal service in Lufkin was held in 1893 by the Rev. George L. Crocket for the W.G. Barron and R.B. Shearer families. St. Mary's Mission was established in 1895 by the Rev. C.M. Beckwith, but the congregation did not have a permanent . . . — Map (db m26886) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8719 — Redland Baptist Church
Liberty Baptist Church, established in the Redland community in 1859, became Redland Baptist Church after reorganizing in 1895. Worship services were held in a local schoolhouse until 1924 when the congregation built its first sanctuary. A new . . . — Map (db m28483) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8713 — Site of Martin Wagon Company
David Webster Martin (d. 1916) and his two sons opened a small wagon shop here in 1908. An inventor and designer, Martin developed various wagons for use in the lumber industry. In partnership with B.L. Zeagler, he incorporated the operation as the . . . — Map (db m27228) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7005 — Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band
At the turn of the century, a group of Lufkin men organized a town brass band. It later became known as the Hoo Hoo Band after representing Texas at a national convention of the Order of Hoo Hoo, an organization of American and Canadian lumbermen. . . . — Map (db m29146) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7004 — Site of the town of Homer
Also known as Angelina Third county seat of Angelina County, 1858 - 1890 — Map (db m31629) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 8724 — Southland Paper Mills, Inc.
First plant to turn southern pines into newsprint. Mill here revolutionized paper industry in the southern United States. Seeking local paper rather than foreign supplies, Southland was incorporated in 1938 and began operations, 1940. Its mills made . . . — Map (db m28963) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 14638 — The Civilian Conservation Corps and Forestry in Texas
Continuing efforts started in the 1920s by the Texas Forest Service (TFS), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), established through the Emergency Conservation Work Act (1933) during the Great Depression, aided in efforts to preserve Texas forests. . . . — Map (db m29427) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 6988 — The Depot Explosion and Mystery
On the evening of March 2, 1913, an explosion destroyed the Houston, East & West Texas Railroad depot at this site, disrupting the town's vital source of transportation and trade. Although a body was not discovered, it was presumed a railroad . . . — Map (db m29203) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12821 — W.C. Trout and the Counter-Balanced Pumping Unit
The son of an early industrial engineer, W.C. Trout (1874-1947) came to Lufkin in 1905 and joined Lufkin Foundry & Machine Co. as a shareholder and company secretary. Already a successful inventor, Trout led the diversification of the shop from . . . — Map (db m29852) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 12819 — Whitehouse Cemetery
According to local tradition, this cemetery may take its name from the 19th-century Cole family home, a structure whose whitewashed exterior stood out from the majority of other log houses and frame buildings in the area. It lies on what was once a . . . — Map (db m29713) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement