This building is a replica of Madison's first city hall and is constructed on the original site of the Madison Depot, it was build in the late 1800's while Capt. John Buchanan Floyd, a Confederate veteran, was mayor.
"The Roundhouse" served as the . . . — — Map (db m103054) HM
[Front] The largest engagement of the Civil War in Madison County was fought during a driving rainstorm here at the site of the railroad depot. Under the command of Col. Josiah Patterson, the Confederate forces (~1000 cavalry and a battery of . . . — — Map (db m85836) HM
Establish in 1856 as a shipping station on the Memphis and Charleston R.R., the town was platted on land owned by James Clemens and incorporated by vote of its citizens in 1869.
First officials included William R. Johnston, mayor, and five . . . — — Map (db m61625) HM
This Federal-style farmhouse was originally part of a complex constructed in 1818 on property that is now owned by Redstone Arsenal. In 1818, James Cooper, a cotton farmer constructed a house for his bride, Charity. After Mr. Cooper's death, Charity . . . — — Map (db m40167) HM
Pension Row is representative of many small town African American neighborhoods. Once a thriving community with its own schools, churches, businesses, lodges, and recreation areas, it has been a part of Madison since Madison was incorporated in . . . — — Map (db m99420) HM
Early in the 1800's gold was found from Virginia to Alabama including a rich belt on Cherokee Indian land in what is now Dahlonega, GA.
causing a huge influx of miners and a land grab by new settlers.
Pressure and greed from politicians led to . . . — — Map (db m85838) HM
This site was the farm of Gilbert G. White Jr., his wife Nancy L. White, and family from 1947 to 2005. Mr. White lived here until his death in 1978. Gilbert G. White Jr. was a descendant of John White, Speaker of the US House of Representatives . . . — — Map (db m44268) HM