“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Madison, Florida Historical Markers

Dial-Goza House Marker image, Touch for more information
By Jay Kravetz, April 2, 2017
Dial-Goza House Marker
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-361 — Dial-Goza House
This late Victorian mansion was built c. 1880 for Major William H. Dial (1830-1905), a Confederate veteran of the Civil War. Dial was a surveyor who moved from South Carolina to Madison, Florida in the 1850s. This house is one of the finest examples . . . — Map (db m102441) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-296 — First Baptist Church 1898 Sanctuary
This structure represents an adaptation of the Queen Anne style of architecture to local ecclesiastical needs and traditional building materials. Both the stimulus for constructing a new sanctuary and the idea for its basic design are attributed to . . . — Map (db m17726) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-176 — Pioneer Hickstown Baptist Church The first Baptist church of Madison
Begun here for God's glory in 1835, the church was named Madison Baptist Church in 1854 and received its present name in 1922. Founders were Abraham Moseley and R.J. Mays. Early pastors were B. Fiddler, W.B. Cooper, H.Z. Ardis, and first deacon . . . — Map (db m17744) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Shiloh Methodist Church
(side 1) To The Glory of The Most High God a group of Christians led by the Reverend John Gramling organized Shiloh Methodist Church here, December 24, 1845. Born in 1785 in South Carolina, the son of German Emigrants Adam and Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m67603) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-797 — St. Mary's Episcopal Church
The congregation of St. Mary's Episcopal Church was organized in 1859, but the parish became dormant during the Civil War when services were held irregularly. Twenty years later, on July 6, 1879, the congregation appointed a committee to coordinate . . . — Map (db m93267) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Steam Engine of the Florida Manufacturing Company
Across Range Street, this Unit was used in Cotton and Peanut processing until 1919 and later carried to Taylor County for use in the Lumber Industry. With a 5-foot Piston Stroke and a 16-foot Drive Wheel, this 500 HP Engine pulled 65 Gins in the . . . — Map (db m17752) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — The Ellaville Post Office Frontier Columbus on the Suwannee River
Established at Columbus, February 17, 1842, moved across the Suwannee to serve a Sawmill Complex, 1867, the office became Ellaville, 1872. Some postmasters were George F. Drew, 1867-1883, Robert L. Millinor, 1893-1912, Frederick Stroud, 1914-1922, . . . — Map (db m67606) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-196 — The Wardlaw-Smith House
The Wardlaw-Smith House was erected in the early 1860's for Benjamin F. Wardlaw, a prominent local citizen. Following the Civil War Battle of Olustee in February, 1864, it served as a Confederate hospital. This fine example of Greek Revival . . . — Map (db m17745) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — F-902 — W.T. Davis Building
Built in 1892 by William Turner (W.T.) Davis, this building is one of the few remaining buildings in Florida covered with a galvanized sheet metal facade, in this example produced by the Mesker Brothers Iron Works of St. Louis, Missouri. This use of . . . — Map (db m96934) HM
Florida (Madison County), Madison — Wardlaw-Smith-Goza Conference Center
The Wardlaw-Smith House was acquired by Mr. and Mrs. William M. Goza in January, 1978 in a state of disrepair. It was meticulously restored and landscaped by them under the supervision of Dawson Rutherford, Master Contractor. Mr. and Mrs. Goza . . . — Map (db m17750) HM

10 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement