Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Madison, Wisconsin Historical Markers

309 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 109
 
"Elmside" Marker image, Touch for more information
By William J. Toman, April 24, 2011
"Elmside" Marker
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 82 — "Elmside" — The Simeon and Maria Mills House — 1863
This elegant Italian villa style house was constructed of native sandstone on the 191-acre country estate of Simeon and Maria Mills. An early pioneer from Ohio, Mills erected Madison's first store and was a banker, real estate developer and . . . — Map (db m41983) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — "Let The Great Spirits Soar"
This memorial, carved by Harry R. Whitehorse from a storm-damaged hackberry tree, honors his Indian ancestors and is a tribute to the Effigy Mound Builders. Sculpture funded by City of Madison Committee for the Arts Dane County Cultural Affairs . . . — Map (db m33497) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 84 — 9XM - WHA — "The Oldest Station in the Nation"
On this campus pioneer research and experimentation in "wireless" led to successful transmissions of voice and music in 1917, and the beginning of broadcasting on a scheduled basis in 1919. Experimental station 9XM transmitted telegraphic . . . — Map (db m33629) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Grand Experiment — Bascom Hill Historic District
Fed up with the formalities of traditional education, Professor Alexander Meikeljohn decided in 1927 to try something new, converting a university residence hall into an "Experimental College." Students took no tests and received no grades, but . . . — Map (db m31986) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — A Stage for All — Bascom Hill Historic District
Not long after she was denied permission to perform in the D.A.R. Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C., because she was African-American, famous singer Marian Anderson found welcome at the University of Wisconsin. She sang at the Memorial Union in . . . — Map (db m32697) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 64 — Adolf H. Kayser House — Claude and Starck — 1902
The Adolph H. Kayser house was designed by Claude and Starck, a local architectural firm that would later become the foremost practitioner of the Prairie School style in Madison. The design of the Kayser house is a distinctive blend of classical . . . — Map (db m40968) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 141 — Aldo Leopold House — 1924
Aldo Leopold lived in this Craftsman style house from 1924 until his death in 1948. Leopold came to Madison to work at the U.S. Forest Products Laboratory and was a pioneer in forestry, wilderness preservation, soil conservation and wildlife . . . — Map (db m45691) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 4 — Alexander Smith House
Built of sand limestone and cap limestone from a nearby quarry, this residence is an example of the Greek Revival style. The building was constructed as a farmhouse, but it also served as a halfway house for travelers between Milwaukee and Prairie . . . — Map (db m41991) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 36 — American Exchange Bank — 1871 — Shipman
This Italian Renaissance Revival style structure, a distinguished example of its type, was designed by Madison architect Stephen Vaughn Shipman. Built of Madison sandstone as the Park Savings Bank, the structure occupies the former site of the . . . — Map (db m33644) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — American House
American House occupied this site 1838-1868 The first legislature in Madison met here November 26, 1838 — Map (db m36662) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 98 — American Tobacco Co. Warehouses — 1899 - 1901
These two buildings are the most substantial warehouses built in Madison to house the processing of leaf tobacco. From the Civil War until the 1940s, leaf tobacco was among Dane County's most lucrative crops. The tobacco grown in Wisconsin was . . . — Map (db m53072) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 100 — Anna and Cornelius Collins Residence — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1908
This house, designed by Madison's premier architectural firm of Claude and Starck in 1908, incorporates an eclectic mix of popular styles of the era and includes Prairie, Tudor and Craftsman features. Windows take center stage at the front faηade: . . . — Map (db m49272) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Anton F. and Mary Kubicek Duplex
Anton F. and Mary Kubicek Duplex 1926 is listed in the State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m23740) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Armory & Gymnasium — University of Wisconsin - Madison
Armory & Gymnasium University of Wisconsin - Madison has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. — Map (db m34019) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 65 — B. B. Clarke House — Claude and Starck — 1899
One of Claude and Starck's earliest designs, this Queen Anne house has a Gothic theme, with pointed-arched windows and steeply pitched roofs. It was designed for B. B. Clarke, who earned a fortune in Indiana by manufacturing threshing machines . . . — Map (db m32867) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — B.B. Clarke
First known as Monona Park when it was established in 1902, then Spaight Street Park, this park was renamed in 1929 for Bascom B. Clarke (1851-1929), a Madison businessman. He was a founder of the Dane County Telephone Company, publisher of the . . . — Map (db m41073) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 89 — Badger State Shoe Factory — Ferdinand Kronenberg, Architect — 1910
Albert and Henry Atkins founded the Badger State Shoe Factory in Milwaukee in 1893. They expanded production to Madison in 1900 and in 1910 constructed this building to consolidate manufacturing operations. Significant for its association with turn . . . — Map (db m49284) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Barry Alvarez
Winningest coach in UW football history with 118-73-4 record Guided Badgers to three Big Ten and three Rose Bowl titles in 16 seasons (1990-2006) Led UW to .727 winning percentage (8-3 record) in bowl games (best in college history at time of his . . . — Map (db m45685) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 8 — Bashford House — 1856-7
This house is an example of the towered Italian Villa style executed in sandstone. Its square, hipped roof, three story tower, or campanile, is unique among old Madison residences. The house was first occupied by H. K. Lawrence, banker and . . . — Map (db m32466) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 99 — Baskerville Apartments — 1913-1914
The Baskerville Apartments is one of Madison's finest remaining early apartment houses, built in an era of population explosion caused by enlargement of the University of Wisconsin, state government and private industry. Downtown densities increased . . . — Map (db m38941) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bear — Wah-Zhe-Dah
Common type of ancient Indian mound - length 82 feet — Map (db m33425) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 94 — Bear and Lynx Effigy Mounds — 500-1000 A.D.
These mounds were constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33501) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 6 — Beecroft House — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1911
This house is attributed to Madison master architects Claude and Starck and is an excellent example of the Prairie style of architecture. Louis Claude was influenced by the work of architectural masters Louis Sullivan, Frank Lloyd Wright and George . . . — Map (db m58121) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 81 — Bellevue Apartments — 1913 - 1914
Constructed by local builder Charles E. Marks, the Bellevue was the largest and most expensive apartment building erected during Madison's pre-World War I apartment house boom. Advertised as a place of "ease and comfort," the Bellevue featured such . . . — Map (db m39920) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 109 — Belmont Hotel — Balch and Lippert, Architects — 1923 - 1924
The Belmont Hotel was built to serve business travelers and legislators, with two dining rooms and "modern facilities," meaning adjacent bathrooms. City boosters hoped that it would encourage conventions to come to Madison. The construction of the . . . — Map (db m41969) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 47 — Bernard - Hoover Boat House — 1915
This frame building is the third boat house on the site. The site symbolizes the importance of pleasure boating in Madison in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The original boat yards and house were operated by Charles Bernard in . . . — Map (db m38703) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bernie's Beach
Bernie Holtman Park, commonly known as Bernie's Beach, was dedicated in 1981. It was previously known as South Shore Beach and, before that, Gilson Street Beach. From 1945 until his death in 1980, Bernard Julius Holtman was the owner of Bernie's . . . — Map (db m45499) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 55 — Biederstaedt – Breitenbach Grocery — 1874
A store with a residence above was a common pattern in nineteenth century Madison. This brick structure was erected as a saloon and grocery for Charles Biederstaedt. Built in a high Victorian Italianate mode, it replaced an earlier structure. In . . . — Map (db m33233) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bird Effigy
Common type of Indian emblematic mound: Body 52½ feet, wingspread formerly about 133 feet — Map (db m33423) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 34 — Bird Effigy Mound — 500-1000 A.D.
This mound was constructed by people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33532) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Black Hawk — Sauk Chief
Black Hawk, Sauk chief, retreated through these grounds July 21, 1832 pursued by militia and U.S. regulars. — Map (db m32247) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 1 — Black Hawk — Lake Monona: Change
Madison changed with great speed in the 1830s: from Ho-Chunk home to war zone to capital city. Powerful forces were gathering against the Ho-Chunks. To gain more land, southwest Wisconsin lead miners pressured the U.S. government to remove the . . . — Map (db m35314) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Born in Madison, the Wisconsin Idea changed the nation — The Madison Heritage Series
In the early 20th century, experts from around the country came to study Wisconsin’s “laboratory of democracy.” The state’s Progressive politicians, led by “Fighting Bob”—Governor Robert La Follette Sr.—were using . . . — Map (db m32939) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 143 — Boutell House — 1923
The Boutell House is significant as an elegant and finely detailed example of the Georgian Revival style in Madison. The style, locally popular between 1900 and 1940, is the product of the emergence of interest in Colonial architecture of the United . . . — Map (db m53984) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 17 — Bowen House — 1856-7
This Italianate style farmhouse was built for Seth Van Bergen from locally quarried sandstone. It is characterized by ornate wood bracketing and a central cupola. In 1859, Van Bergen sold the house to James B. Bowen, local homeopathic physician, and . . . — Map (db m40976) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Bradley-Sigma Phi House
Bradley-Sigma Phi House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America — Map (db m41264) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 43 — Braley House — 1875-76
The house of Judge Arthur B. Braley was a social and cultural center of the Mansion Hill area in the Nineteenth Century. The house was built of cream brick with incised stone lintels in the Late Gothic Revival style. Braley, a patron of the literary . . . — Map (db m33723) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 13 — Breese J. Stevens House — 1863 - 1864
This multi-faceted brick Italianate house was built for Madison lawyer, Daniel K. Tenney. In 1871, Tenney sold it to Breese J. Stevens who probably altered the house significantly during his ownership. Stevens was elected mayor of Madison in 1884 . . . — Map (db m40861) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Breese Stevens Field
Madison's oldest sports park is named for Breese Stevens (1834-1903). A New York native, he came to Wisconsin in 1856 to look after family landed interests. Stevens became Mayor of Madison in 1884, UW Regent in 1891, and Doctor of Law in 1902. . . . — Map (db m32639) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 132 — Breese Stevens Field — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1925; 1934
Breese Stevens Field, named for the former Madison mayor whose family donated the land, is significant as the city's premier athletic facility from 1926 through the 1960s. The grandstand, designed by prominent Madison architects Claude and Starck in . . . — Map (db m58008) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 49 — Brittingham Boat House — Ferry & Clas — 1910
The construction of this public boat house represents the spirit of municipal improvement that infused this city at the turn of the century. The parkland and its model facilities were created through the generosity of lumberman Thomas E. Brittingham . . . — Map (db m32456) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 22 — Buell House — 1894 — Conover & Porter
Designed for Madison attorney Charles Buell in the Shingle style with Queen Anne proportions and ornament, this house was the first built in University Heights. Called "Buell's Folly," it was the work of Madison architects Allen D. Conover and Lew . . . — Map (db m41149) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Burr Jones Field
This park was named in recognition of the Honorable Burr W. Jones (1846-1935) an active member of the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association who conveyed property and funds to create and enhance the Madison parks system. Jones, a Wisconsin . . . — Map (db m90223) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Burrows Park
This land was bequeathed to the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association in 1909 by one of its active members, George B. Burrows (1832 - 1909). The lake shore area was filled to its present level by dredging the lake bottom. Until 1913 an on-site . . . — Map (db m44408) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 111 — Camp Randall
From these historic grounds went forth Wisconsin's sons to fight for the preservation of the nation in the American Civil War -- 1861-1865. More than 70,000 men trained for service within the boundaries of this camp named after Alexander W. Randall, . . . — Map (db m31743) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Capitol Square has long been the heart of the city — The Madison Heritage Series
Even before Madison was founded, people met to exchange money and merchandise not far from this spot. Five hundred Ho-Chunk camped near the square in 1832 to swap furs for trader Oliver Armel’s goods. People began building businesses on Capitol . . . — Map (db m33482) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 107 — Cardinal Hotel — Ferdinand Kronenberg, Architect — 1908-1909
The Cardinal Hotel, designed by prolific Madison architect Ferdinand Kronenberg, is significant for its association with east Madison's commercial and railway corridor. Conceived primarily to serve rail passengers, when constructed the hotel towered . . . — Map (db m77755) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 351 — Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison
Once located at this site on North Blount Street, the Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison operated from 1940 until its closing in 1956. Founded by Lawrence Rabbitt and Reuben Sand, the company was one of the largest manufacturers of figurines in the . . . — Map (db m31833) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Chamberlin Rock
This tablet commemorates the services to Wisconsin of Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin, leader in science and education, State Geologist of Wisconsin, 1873-1882, President of the University, 1887-1892. As State Geologist he conducted a survey . . . — Map (db m32249) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 118 — Chi Phi Fraternity — Law, Law and Potter, Architects — 1928
The Chi Phi fraternity house is an outstanding example of the Tudor Revival style and is constructed of Madison sandstone. The striking design featuring steeply pitched and parapeted gables is one of the most accomplished works of premier Madison . . . — Map (db m78506) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 84 — Chi Psi Lodge — 1911-1913
This imposing fraternity house was designed by noted Milwaukee architect Alexander C. Eschweiler and was built using Madison's native sandstone. Its Tudor Revival style is one of the best examples of that architecture in Madison. The Iota chapter of . . . — Map (db m40963) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 86 — City Horse Barn — Built 1910-1914
This simple brick structure is a rare survivor of the horse-and-wagon era. Built as part of the old city yards, the barn housed up to nine draft horses whose job it was to pull maintenance and service vehicles. Each of the nine windows on the Dayton . . . — Map (db m32640) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 50 — City Market — 1909 — Robert L. Wright
The City Market reflects the active civic improvement work in Madison at the turn of the century. Like other public projects, the Market was intended to enhance the advantages of city life. The building design by Madison architect Robert L. Wright . . . — Map (db m32638) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 29 — Collins House — c. 1911 — Claude & Starck
Built for lumber executive William Collins, this dwelling was designed by architects Louis Claude and Edward Starck. The house is characterized by a gable roof, wide eaves, leaded glass windows, and horizontal and vertical banding that lends an . . . — Map (db m40964) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Confederate Rest
The valiant Confederate soldiers who lie buried here were members of the 1st Alabama Inf. Reg., Confederate States of America. They were captured in the spring of 1862 in the Civil War Battle of Island No. 10 in the Mississippi River south of Cairo, . . . — Map (db m33779) HM WM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Conical Mound — 0 - 400 A.D.
This mound was constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33245) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Controlling Blood Clotting — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Through the misfortune of a Wisconsin farmer, biochemist Karl Paul Link and his University of Wisconsin associates were handed the keys to discovery of anticlotting factors. Farmer Ed Carlson in February 1933 brought to Link sweet clover hay that he . . . — Map (db m57058) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 76 — Corry Carriage House — 1911
This quaint stone carriage house was built for James and Minnie Corry. Corry, a well-known realtor, helped develop the Fair Oaks plat and was a promoter of the east side. The Corrys' plans to build a house in front of the carriage house were halted . . . — Map (db m45442) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 56 — Curtis-Kittleson House — 1901
William D. Curtis commissioned the architectural firm of J. O. Gordon and F. W. Paunack to design this imposing brick house with Queen Anne style. Hallmarks of the style include the complex shape, wide veranda and corner tower, highlighted by . . . — Map (db m32670) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 48 — Cutter House — 1882
Judson C. Cutter, an entrepreneur, commissioned the construction of this house, but he never lived here. The house is designed in a late Victorian period style, sometimes called Stick-Eastlake. The decorative surface treatment, which seems to show . . . — Map (db m41002) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — David James Schaefer — 1955-2004
David James Schaefer, 1955-2004 was a phenomenal phenomenon. Though plagued by the progressive debilities of cerebral palsy, "Schaefer" was an uncomplaining and generous friend to many. Disability Rights Specialist for the City of Madison in . . . — Map (db m40520) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 85 — Delta Upsilon Fraternity House — 1906-1907
Founded in the spring of 1885, the Wisconsin Chapter of Delta Upsilon Fraternity has occupied this stately structure since 1907. Delta Upsilon Fraternity is unique among local fraternities as a non-secret Greek letter society since it has no secret . . . — Map (db m40961) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 69 — Derrick C. Bush House — ca. 1867
Built of cream brick, this handsome Italianate house was constructed for Derrick C. Bush (1816-1887). A Vermont native, Bush became the village of Madison's first assessor in 1854, and later, a county judge. A later owner, Phineas Baldwin, was a . . . — Map (db m41393) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 137 — Dick-Eddy Buildings — 1889 and 1907 — Conover and Porter, Architects
The imposing Dick Building is a flat-iron building in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, a style in which the local architects, Conover and Porter, were particularly adept. The Dick block was built in part to house Christian Dick's wine and liquor . . . — Map (db m47942) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Discovering Vitamins and Trace Minerals — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
By feeding diets of single grains to sixteen dairy heifers, University of Wisconsin scientists under the direction of biochemist E.B. Hart in 1907 set the stage for the discovery of vitamins and essential trace minerals. These feeding experiments . . . — Map (db m32356) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Discovery of Vitamins A and B — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
In 1913 University of Wisconsin biochemist Elmer V. McCollum and associates used rats to conduct nutritional studies that led to the discovery of vitamin A in butterfat and cod liver oil. In 1917 his group discovered vitamin B complex in milk whey. . . . — Map (db m57103) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Disease-Resistant Plants — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
At the end of the 19th century, a fungal infection called cabbage yellows threatened the entire Wisconsin cabbage crop. University of Wisconsin plant pathologist John C. Walker solved the problem by developing strains of cabbage resistant to the . . . — Map (db m32398) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 156 — Doty School — Claude and Starck, Architect — 1906
Built during a population boom in Madison, Doty School replaced the smaller Fourth Ward School built on this site in 1866. When it opened, the new school was renamed for Madison's founder, James Duane Doty, the person responsible for Madison's . . . — Map (db m53073) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 158 — Dowling Apartments — Philip Dean, Architect — 1922
William and Margaret Dowling built this impeccably maintained Craftsman style apartment building. It included luxury amenities such as chandeliers and built-in breakfronts in the dining rooms, laundry service and a dumb waiter system. Margaret . . . — Map (db m40290) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Dr. Robert Fassnacht — In Memoriam
This is the site of the Sterling Hall bombing, which occurred at 3:40 AM on August 24, 1970. An outstanding research scientist, Dr. Robert Fassnacht, was killed in the bombing while working during the night in his laboratory on a physics experiment . . . — Map (db m40975) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 155 — Draper Brothers Block — 1867
The Draper Brothers block is significant as one of the few remaining buildings of native sandstone from Madison's earliest era of commercial development and for being associated with Madison's commercial history, having housed a meat market on the . . . — Map (db m52846) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Drohman Farm
The land surrounding this spot was originally the farm of George and Mary Drohman, pioneer German settlers who came to the U.S. around 1846. From 1851 to 1906 another German-American family, Adolph and Mary Sigglekow and their two sons, tilled this . . . — Map (db m45337) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Eagle Effigy
Largest Indian Mound of its Type in Wisconsin Body 131 Feet Wingspread 624 Feet Marked by the Wisconsin Archeological Society July 30, 1910 — Map (db m35130) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 171 — East Side High School — Frank Riley, Architect — 1922
This school was built during a school board facility expansion initiative beginning in 1920 to serve the growing east side neighborhood. The school has become a neighborhood anchor, uniting the community through ethnic and economic changes. . . . — Map (db m52326) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Eben and Rosaline Peck
Eben and Rosaline Peck erected Madison's first home on this site. April, 1837 — Map (db m36948) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 19 — Edgewood
This marks the site of two structures that together spanned 114 years of Dane County history. Overlooking Lake Wingra, Edgewood Villa was built in 1855 for New York lawyer, John Ashmead. In 1856, Samuel Marshall, co-founder of the Marshall and . . . — Map (db m33519) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Edna Taylor Conservation Park
Edna E.E. Taylor was a teacher, writer and, in her later years, a dairy farmer. A believer in "Sensible Ecology" she proposed to sell 37 of her 98 acres of land to the city of Madison. Added to 10 adjacent acres already held by the city and 11 acres . . . — Map (db m33322) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Edward Klief Park
The first parcels of land for this park were acquired by the city of Madison in 1936 to create the "Milton Street Playground." Later, more land was purchased to expand the park. On March 5, 1969, the playground was renamed in memory of Edward Klief . . . — Map (db m40981) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Eggiman House — Robert W. McLaughlin Jr. Designer - 1936-1937
The Eggiman House is Wisconsin's only Motohome, a low-cost, prefabricated home manufactured of metal and concrete panels and sold by American Homes, Inc. The Motohome, manufactured between 1932 and 1937, is a nationally important example of the . . . — Map (db m94315) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Eliminating Pellagra — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Pellagra once was a widespread and often fatal disease that was particularly common where corn was a dietary staple. In 1938, University of Wisconsin biochemists Conrad Elvehjem and Frank Strong isolated and identified the B vitamin, niacin, and . . . — Map (db m57097) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 27 — Elliott House — 1910 — Maher, Claude & Starck
The design of this house typifies the effect of Prairie School concepts of residential design in the first fifteen years of the Twentieth Century. Edward C. Elliott, professor of education at the University of Wisconsin and later president of Purdue . . . — Map (db m41074) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Elvis Presley Fight Scene
On this site, the corner of Hwy 51 and East Washington Avenue around 1 am, on June 24th, 1977, Elvis Presley was riding in the 2nd of two limousines which had stopped for a red light. He was coming from a concert in Des Moines and had just arrived . . . — Map (db m37376) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 20 — Ely House — 1896 — Cobb & Frost
Designed in the the Georgian Revival style by Chicago architect Charles Sumner Frost, who was a partner of Henry Ives Cobb, this house was commissioned by Richard T. Ely, nationally known economist and university professor. In the academic freedom . . . — Map (db m41102) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 150 — Emily Thompson House — Circa 1872
Emily Torstensenseim immigrated to the United States from Norway with her parents at the age of four. When she grew up she married a fellow Norwegian immigrant, Ole Thompson, who became a successful hotelier and grocer. Shortly after his death, his . . . — Map (db m73067) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 38 — Fess Hotel — 1858, 1901
A hotel for the common man throughout its history, the nineteenth century facade of the Fess remains a reminder of the commercial character of the King Street and Doty Street area. George Fess, the original proprietor of the hotel, catered to . . . — Map (db m32944) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 77 — Fire Station #4 — 1904 - 1905
Designed by local architect, Lew F. Porter, Fire Station #4 is one of the oldest fire stations remaining in Madison. The tiny windows on the east facade lit horse stalls. The rapid expansion of University Heights, Wingra Park and other near west . . . — Map (db m44550) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — First Chemical Synthesis of a Gene — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
Biochemist Har Gobind Khorana shared the Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine in 1968 for research that was essential to understanding how DNA is translated into proteins. His work at the Institute for Enzyme Research completed the puzzle of which . . . — Map (db m57017) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 61 — First Church of Christ, Scientist — Frank M. Riley — 1929
Designed with simplicity and grace, the First Church of Christ, Scientist is Georgian Revival in style, the form used for many early 20th century Christian Science churches across the country. It is the only Madison church designed by Frank Riley, . . . — Map (db m40205) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — First Reliable Test of Milk Quality — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
A milestone in modern dairying was the development of a simple and accurate measure of the butterfat content of milk. University of Wisconsin biochemist Stephen M. Babcock in 1890 developed the test that made him internationally famous and . . . — Map (db m32385) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 33 — Forest Hill Cemetery & Effigy Mound Group — 1857 - 1862 & C. 500 - 1000 A.D.
Forest Hill is an intact example of the rural cemetery movement of the 19th century, in which cemeteries were located in a park-like setting that also served as a place for strolling, picnics, quiet recreation and contemplation. Many centuries . . . — Map (db m89869) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Forging Agrarian Democracy — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
The modern discipline of agricultural and applied economics owes much to University of Wisconsin scholars Henry C. Taylor and Benjamin H. Hibbard for their seminal work on the economic, political, and social meaning of land ownership. Agricultural . . . — Map (db m32806) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 73 — Frank G. Brown House — 1905
This handsome house was built by Frank G. Brown (1852-1920), scion of a prominent real estate and banking family. Brown, who was first vice-president of the First National Bank, was a founder of the French Battery Company (now Rayovac). The Brown . . . — Map (db m40749) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 44 — Frank J. Hess and Sons Cooperage / Frank J. Hess, Cooper — 1904 - 1966 / 1870 - 1958
Side A The Frank J. Hess and Sons Cooperage became Wisconsin's largest independent family-owned cooperage, manufacturing quarter-sawn white oak beer, wine, and whiskey barrels. The two factory buildings located near the railroad tracks were . . . — Map (db m31788) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 163 — Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Co. Office Building — 1885; Additions c. 1892 and 1909
This building is significant for its association with Madison's industrial history. It is all that remains of the once expansive Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Co., a producer of farm implements and the first major industry in Madison. The building . . . — Map (db m52125) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 23 — Gates of Heaven Synagogue — 1863
Gates of Heaven was designed for Madison's first Jewish congregation by local architect August Kutzbock in the German Romanesque style. Kutzbock also used this distinctive style for the Pierce and Keenan houses at Pinckney and Gilman. The building . . . — Map (db m32381) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Gay Liberation Sculpture
In 1984, the George Segal sculpture, Gay Liberation, was placed on this site through the efforts of the gay and lesbian community and the New Harvest Foundation. In 1991, the sculpture was moved to its original intended home in New York City's . . . — Map (db m32943) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Genetically Superior Crops — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
University of Wisconsin geneticist R.A. Brink brought hybrid corn to Wisconsin, releasing the state's first hybrid for production in 1933. Eight years later ninety percent of Wisconsin corn was hybrid. Soon the yield per acre was tripled. Brink also . . . — Map (db m32396) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — George Soelch Investment House — c 1860 \ 1887
George Soelch Investment House c 1860 \ 1887 is listed in the State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m41524) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 5 — Gilmore House — 1908 — Frank Lloyd Wright
This residence, called the "Airplane House," illustrates the essence of the Prairie School style of architecture. The strong feeling of horizontally is given by sweeping eaves; banded, leaded casement windows; horizontal wood trim; and site . . . — Map (db m32504) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 162 — Gisholt Machine Company Manufacturing Complex — 1899-1901; 1911; 1946
The Gisholt Machine Company site encompasses an expansive complex and is made up of three Neoclassical Revival style brick buildings: The 1899-1901 factory, the 1911 office building, and the 1946 engineering building. The company produced . . . — Map (db m52106) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Glenwood Children's Park
For children to enjoy nature at its best presented by the children of Mr. & Mrs. Louis Gardner Ruth Gardner Reese – Louis Gardner Jr. Martha Gardner Wernig ———— • ———— "As you witness the touch . . . — Map (db m41674) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Global Vision — Bascom Hill Historic District
In 1961, more than 100 University of Wisconsin students and graduates applied to spend two years volunteering in some of the world's neediest countries as part of a new program known as the Peace Corps. Their participation began a long relationship . . . — Map (db m31951) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 148 — Gloria Dei Evangelical Lutheran Church — Balch and Lippert, Architects — 1922
The Gloria Dei Church is a striking example of the Gothic Revival style, which was locally popular between 1915 and 1945 for the design of religious buildings. The faηade is of brick and limestone. Decorative elements include Gothic-arched door and . . . — Map (db m53469) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Governor Leonard Farwell lived here, in his octagonal mansion — The Madison Heritage Series
Madison was little more than a few buildings and a swamp in 1847 when Leonard Farwell bought large amounts of land here. Orphaned at 11, Farwell built a very successful hardware business in Milwaukee while still in his 20s. He would soon transform . . . — Map (db m32953) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 45 — Grace Episcopal Church — 1855-58 — James Douglas
Designed by Milwaukee architect James Douglas, and constructed of local sandstone, Grace Episcopal Church is a distinguished example of the Gothic Revival style. Inspired by early English models, the corner tower contains a full carillon of bells. . . . — Map (db m33076) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Grace Episcopal Church
. . . — Map (db m38886) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 28 — Greenbush
Once a marshy area off the shores of Lake Monona, this triangular shaped neighborhood became a dream for Italian immigrants during the early 1900's. Greenbush developed into one of America's countless Little Italys, complemented with Jewish, Black . . . — Map (db m32636) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 87 — Grimm Book Bindery — Alvan Small, Architect
This building is significant as the work of architect Alvan Small and as an example of a small commercial building executed in the Neoclassical style. The primary facade is of red brick with a side-gabled roof bracketed with a stepped parapet end . . . — Map (db m57732) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Hans Christian Heg
Colonel 15th Wis. Vols. Born in Norway Dec. 21, 1829 Fell at Chickamauga Sept. 19, 1863 Norwegian Americans gave this memorial to the State of Wisconsin — Map (db m33780) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Harvey Hospital
On this city block stood, during the Civil War, Harvey Hospital, and later the Wisconsin Soldiers' Orphans' Home, both established through the influence of Mrs. Cordelia P. Harvey, whose honored husband, Governor Louis R. Harvey, had, April 19, . . . — Map (db m36391) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Here was Madison’s first African-American neighborhood — The Madison Heritage Series
John Hill first set eyes on Madison while visiting a relative who was attending the University of Wisconsin. He moved his family here from Atlanta in 1910 to join a modest community of about 140 African Americans. In 1917, Hill bought a house and . . . — Map (db m33612) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 37 — Heritage of the Hill
Madison developers Delaplaine and Burdick erected the three-story Lakeside Water Cure here in 1854. This unsuccessful venture closed after three years and re-opened in 1866 as a summer resort hotel. Known as the "Newport of the West," it appealed to . . . — Map (db m32955) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 68 — Herman J. Loftsgordon House — 1918
Herman Loftsgordon and his family lived in this house from 1918 until 1946. Loftsgordon was one of five brothers who came to Madison from Mt. Horeb in the early 1900's and settled within blocks of each other in the Elmside plat. The family was . . . — Map (db m41523) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 37 — Hickory Hill House — 1842
A very early Madison sandstone house this farm dwelling was presumably constructed for John G. Hicks, a New Yorker. In 1854 James P. Falkner, a speculator, bought the house hoping to develop "Mendota Village" around it. His assets were wiped out by . . . — Map (db m45743) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Hiestand Park
The Hiestand family farmed this land for the last half of the 19th century. Settling here in the 1850's, Jacob Hiestand grew the first tobacco raised in Wisconsin. He served Blooming Grove in many capacities, including that of village chairman. His . . . — Map (db m42183) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 44 — Hiestand School — 1915
Since about 1855 this site has been the location of the Blooming Grove township school. Named for pioneer tobacco grower, Jacob Hiestand, whose farmstead lay across the road, the original frame building was razed in 1915 to make way for this fully . . . — Map (db m42206) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 30 — Hirsig House — c. 1913 — Small
Commissioned to Madison architect Alvan E. Small by retail store owner Louis Hirsig, this stucco and brick house exemplifies the simplicity of the Prairie style. The horizontal lines of the windows along with the distinctive red tile roof and wide . . . — Map (db m40926) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 79 — Hocheera — The John R. and Nell Commons House — 1913
This large stucco house was designed by noted Madison bungalow designer, Cora Tuttle. From 1913 to 1937, it was the home of John R. Commons, a U.W. professor of economics. Commons was nationally significant as the author of important social reforms . . . — Map (db m45742) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 80 — Hoffman - Kennedy Dairy Horse Barn — Circa 1904
This simple brick horse barn was built by Conrad Hoffman, a laborer. In 1925, it was purchased by the largest dairy in Madison, the Kennedy Dairy, to house its east side branch. The barn had deteriorated seriously by 1985 when it was renovated into . . . — Map (db m40823) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 75 — Holy Redeemer Catholic Church — 1865-1869
This is the first parish organized by German Catholics and is the second oldest Catholic church in Madison. This church replaces the original brick structure built on this site in 1857 by the 80 founding families The simple Romanesque Revival . . . — Map (db m38884) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 159 — Hotel Loraine — Herbert W. Tullgren, Architect — 1923-25
This building was designed by Herbert W. Tullgren, an architect nationally known for his design of hotels and apartment buildings in period revival styles. Hotel Loraine, having elements of both the Tudor and Mediterranean revival styles was the . . . — Map (db m48309) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Howard M. Temin — 1934-1994
This path is dedicated to the memory of Howard M. Temin 1934-1994 Distinguished Professor of Oncology (1960-1994) Eminent Virologist at the McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research University of Wisconsin-Madison Nobel Prize in Physiology or . . . — Map (db m37722) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Howard M. Temin — 1934-1994
This path is dedicated to the memory of Howard M. Temin 1934-1994 Distinguished Professor of Oncology (1960-1994) Eminent Virologist at the McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research University of Wisconsin-Madison Nobel Prize in Physiology or . . . — Map (db m48158) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Hoyt Park
Frank W. Hoyt (1852 - 1950) was a founder of the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association in 1894. He was its treasurer for 38 years, and served 11 more years on the Madison Parks board when it began managing Madison parks in 1932. This park was . . . — Map (db m44407) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 40 — Hyer - Jaquish Hotel — 1854
Built in a vernacular that borrows both from Greek revival and Italianate sources, this brick structure was the front section of a larger Farmers’ and Railway hotel. Such hotels offered lodging to boarders and travelers in the nineteenth century. . . . — Map (db m32454) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — In Memory of Our Beloved Sons
In memory of our beloved sons who paid the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m33778) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Indian Mounds
One of the several groups of prehistoric burial, linear and effigy mounds formerly located on the crest of the Monona-Wingra ridge. Several of these were surveyed by Increase A. Lapham, in 1850. Village site was in the park below. Marked for the . . . — Map (db m36955) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 101 — Irene and Robert Connor Residence — 1920
This Colonial Revival house was built for Robert and Irene Connor, daughter of lumber magnates Anna and Cornelius Collins who lived next door. Irene took over the position of vice-president of the family firm. The house is significant for its . . . — Map (db m49271) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 90 — Italian Workmen's Club — 1922/1936
One of the few buildings remaining from the original Italian community in Greenbush, the Italian Workmen's Club was constructed by volunteer labor in 1922, with a major renovation in 1936. John Icke, local contractor and benefactor of the Italian . . . — Map (db m32642) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 63 — Jackman Building — Claude and Starck — 1913 - 1914
The Jackman Building is an unusual and valuable example of early twentieth century commercial architecture because it is preserved virtually intact both inside and out. It was built for the law firm of Richmond, Jackman and Swanson. Their successors . . . — Map (db m38494) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 24 — Jacobs House I — 1937 — Frank Lloyd Wright
Built for Herbert Jacobs, Madison journalist, this L-plan structure is the first of Wright's Usonian houses designed for middle income families. The horizontal emphasis of the earlier Prairie School style is evident. Innovative construction . . . — Map (db m33500) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 74 — James and Bridget Casserly House — 1891
The Casserly house is a classic example of a Queen Anne style house built for a middle-class family. James Casserly was a foreman and later superintendent of the Madison Democrat, one of Madison's two major newspapers at the turn-of-the-century. The . . . — Map (db m40289) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 172 — James Doris Farmhouse — 1857-1858
This vernacular Greek Revival style, side-gabled house is significant as an example of a style locally popular between 1830 and 1860. One of the few remaining houses of the "stagecoach inn" design characteristically being two bays wide and five bays . . . — Map (db m53064) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 15 — James Mears House — 1871
This square house designed in a modified Federal style with Italianate detailing was built for Major James Mears, realtor and merchant from New York state. The cream brick residence was originally built at a cost of $5,000. Its significant . . . — Map (db m40857) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Johann and Elsbeth Reiner Tree
This evergreen commemorates the first Christmas tree in Madison and perhaps one of the first in the country. It was erected at 616 Williamson Street in the log cabin of Johann Jacob Reiner, the 2nd German to arrive in Madison, and his Swiss bride, . . . — Map (db m41867) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — John A. Johnson made Madison's Factory District Flourish — The Madison Heritage Series
John A. Johnson made a bold move when he co-founded an agricultural implement company in Madison in 1880. Many civic leaders opposed manufacturing, fearing the workers would lower the city's moral and intellectual tone. But Johnson proved his . . . — Map (db m32919) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — John A. Urich
A City of Madison Principal Planner whose work spanned from 1965 to 1996, John championed downtown urban design projects including the State Street Mall, Capitol Concourse, Civic Center, Capitol Centre, Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, and the . . . — Map (db m40522) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 59 — John George Ott House — 1873
The Ott house is one of the finest High Victorian houses in Madison and the grandest remaining 19th century mansion in the Third Lake Ridge Historic District. German craftsmen probably executed the intricate woodwork on porches and bays, detailed . . . — Map (db m32699) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — John M. Olin — 1851 - 1924
A trust fund established by Mr. Olin President of the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association from 1894 to 1910, made possible the construction of architectural features in this garden — Map (db m36964) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — John M. Olin — 1851 - 1924
A trust fund established by Mr. Olin President of the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association from 1894 to 1910, made possible the purchase of this burr oak grove. — Map (db m41680) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 365 — John Mann House
Once the centerpiece of a 130 acre farm, this stone house and adjacent outbuildings were built by New York native John Mann in 1856. Of classical proportions, the vernacular Mann House displays a mixture of Greek Revival and Italianate architectural . . . — Map (db m33643) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — John Nolen Causeway
This causeway overlooking Lake Monona and downtown Madison is named after John Nolen (1869-1937). A nationally known landscape architect, Nolen was retained by the Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association to study ways to make the city more . . . — Map (db m32731) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 18 — Joseph Stoner House — 1858
This simple Italianate sandstone house, constructed in a masonry pattern peculiar to southern Wisconsin, was built for undersheriff, jailor, and horse dealer Andrew Bishop. It was later owned by W. B. Jarvis, lawyer and land speculator. In the . . . — Map (db m32441) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 3 — Keenan House — 1858
Originally built in the early Romanesque Revival style, this house was altered in 1870 by the addition of a mansard roof. The Milwaukee cream brick structure was built for, but never occupied by, Napolean Bonaparte Van Slyke, first cashier of the . . . — Map (db m32383) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 10 — Kendall House — 1855
Pioneer banker J. E. Kendall built this two-and-one half story Italianate home in 1855. The mansard roof of the Second French Empire style was added between 1872 and 1879. This house stands as one of the four corner houses on Big Bug Hill, also . . . — Map (db m32467) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 139 — Kessenich's Building — Frank Riley, Architect — 1923
The Kessenich's building is significant as an example of the Commercial French Renaissance style as designed by Frank Riley. The building features an artfully assembled faηade uniting two street frontages and the adjoining corner. The long faηades . . . — Map (db m51681) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 11 — Keyes House — 1853-54
This rambling brick Italianate and Eclectic style house probably was originally built for Lansing W. Hoyt, a local speculator. It was later occupied and altered by Elisha W. Keyes, a powerful local political "boss" who was appointed postmaster by . . . — Map (db m40856) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 14 — Keystone House
Squire William Pethrick, English barrister and gentleman farmer, used native stone and timber to build this house here in 1853 on 30 acres of land. Pethrick chose the site because he believed that Madison's State Street would eventually be extended . . . — Map (db m32470) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 153 — King Street Arcade — Charles Huart, Architect — 1927
The King Street Arcade is an example of an arcaded block, a distinctive building type popular in the United States during the first half of the twentieth century. The exterior is characterized by a series of tall, evenly spaced, arched openings . . . — Map (db m55934) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 52 — Kircher House — 1877
An example of a High Victorian Italianate style pattern book house design, this cream brick dwelling was built by John Kircher, a German carpenter and contractor, in 1892. After a decade of absentee ownership, the house was bought by Adolph Klose . . . — Map (db m32730) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 53 — Klose Cottage — 1870
Typical of the frame L-plan cottages which dotted the isthmus in the last half of the Nineteenth Century, the Klose cottage is a vestige of immigrant housing in that period. Adolph Klose, a Prussian immigrant, was a self-employed tailor when he had . . . — Map (db m40989) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 91 — La Follette House — 1854
"Fighting Bob" La Follette and his wife Belle Case La Follette moved into this dignified old residence in 1881. Both graduated from the UW Law School, Belle being the first woman to do so. Both became preeminent state and national political figures, . . . — Map (db m90021) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 71 — Lamb Building — 1905
With its two-story bay, leaded glass detail, and original Carroll Street storefront, this is one of Madison's best remaining adaptations of the Queen Anne style to commercial architecture. Constructed for retired attorney F. J. Lamb, the building . . . — Map (db m38493) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Larson House — 1911
The Larson House, attributed to the architectural firm of Claude and Starck, is significant as an exceptional local example of the Prairie Style. The Prairie Style is one of the few indigenous American styles, identifiable by its horizontal emphasis . . . — Map (db m56162) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Law Park
James R. Law (1885-1952) was the founder of Law, Law, and Potter, an architectural firm that designed many buildings and homes in Madison. Law was appointed mayor in 1932 and was re-elected for 5 terms. In 1943 he resigned to become chairman of the . . . — Map (db m36167) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Leaders in Science — Bascom Hill Historic District
The University of Wisconsin's setting along the shores of Lake Mendota made it a natural place to found the study of lakes in North America. But advances in limnology, which was first studied here in the 1880s, are only one aspect of a long legacy . . . — Map (db m33646) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 19 — Leitch House — 1857-58
The buff-colored sandstone for this Gothic Revival house was quarried in Westport, barged across Lake Mendota, and cut on the building site. The exterior of the structure is characterized by high peaked gables, decorative barge boards, spiked . . . — Map (db m38700) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 58 — Lincoln School — Claude and Starck — 1915
Lincoln School is a superb example of the Prairie School of architecture. Some of the reflections of this style are the bands of terra cotta and stone that emphasize the horizontal lines of the design, detailed terra cotta ornament on capitals and . . . — Map (db m38704) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Lincoln Statue
First Marker: The original of this statue was provided by joint appropriations of the Congress of the United States and the State of Kentucky as a national memorial located in Hodgenville, Kentucky, Lincoln's native town. This, the only . . . — Map (db m32091) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 93 — Lizard Effigy Mound — 500-1000 A.D.
These mounds were constructed by a people of a hunting and gathering culture who met periodically at ceremonial grounds like this one to bury their dead. — Map (db m33503) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 102 — Longfellow School — Law, Law and Potter, Architects — 1918, 1924 and 1938
The Longfellow School served the ethnically diverse Greenbush neighborhood as a community anchor between 1918 and 1980. Designed by the prominent Madison firm of Law, Law and Potter, the school is an excellent example of the Elizabethan Revival, a . . . — Map (db m49732) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 54 — Lougee House — 1907 — Claude & Starck
A significant example of the Prairie School style of architecture, this dwelling bears similarities to Frank Lloyd Wright's Harley Bradley house of 1900, in Kankakee, Illinois. Louis W. Claude worked for Louis H. Sullivan with Frank Lloyd Wright and . . . — Map (db m41868) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Lt. Gerald Stull USAF
"On May 5, 1958, Lt. Gerald Stull USAF was returning to Truax Field from a training mission when his F-102A fighter jet faltered and headed toward the residential neighborhood along Hudson Park. Lt. Stull forced the jet back toward the lake, at . . . — Map (db m33246) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 149 — Luther Memorial Chapel — Claude and Starck, Architects — 1914-1915
This limestone chapel was designed by the prolific Madison architectural firm of Claude and Starck in the Elizabethan Revival style. The building's asymmetrical design features a monumentally scaled entrance and a ribbon of Tudor-arched windows at . . . — Map (db m69713) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church — Claude & Starck; Reginald Stehr — 1921-1923; 1957-1958
The Gothic Revival style church by preeminent Madison architects Claude & Starck is a masterwork example of this style. The mid-century Gothic Revival style education building by Reginald Stehr is significant as a contemporary representation of the . . . — Map (db m55933) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 62 — Machinery Row — 1898-1914
This block long group of brick buildings was originally known the Brown Brothers' Business Block. It earned the nickname "Machinery Row" when several agricultural implement branch houses located here, part of the lively railroad shipping business . . . — Map (db m40519) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 142 — Madison Candy Company — John Nader, Architect — 1903
The Madison Candy Company building is significant for its association with the development of local manufacturing. An industrial type building designed by John Nader, it is constructed of red brick, with a limestone foundation, belt courses and . . . — Map (db m40604) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 121 — Madison Catholic Clubhouse — John J. Flad, Architect — 1938
This Mediterranean Revival clubhouse has Art Moderne touches, reflecting its late 1930s date. It was built for the Knights of Columbus, a fraternal society for Catholic men. Several other Catholic groups met here and the building also housed the . . . — Map (db m39930) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 116 — Madison Club — Frank Riley, Architect — 1916-1918
The Madison Club, Madison's premiere social club, was designed in the Georgian Revival style by master Madison architect Frank Riley. Artfully executed in red brick with concrete classical ornament including columns, friezes, portico and urns, the . . . — Map (db m59806) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 147 — Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse — Claude & Starck; Mead & Seastone, Architects — 1902; 1915 Addition
The Madison Gas & Electric Powerhouse has been in continuous operation providing electrical power since its construction in 1902. The building is significant for its association with the development of Madison's utility industry and as the location . . . — Map (db m40250) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Madison Hotel — (1837-1863)
The Madison Hotel was built and owned by Col. Augustus A. Bird, one of the builders of the first Capitol in Madison. From this hotel, he waged a successful fight to keep Madison the Capital City. Many of Madison's most prominent visitors, . . . — Map (db m33722) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Madison is an Indian mound capital — The Madison Heritage Series
At least 887 earthen Indian mounds once dotted the land around lakes Mendota, Monona, Wingra, Waubesa, and Kegonsa—so many that archaeologist Charles E. Brown once suggested Madison be renamed Mound City. Most southern Wisconsin mounds were . . . — Map (db m35551) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Madison Masonic Temple
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m40206) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Madison Park & Pleasure Drive Association
During the 19th Century, Willow Creek marked the western edge of the University of Wisconsin campus and the end of University Drive. In 1892, at the suggestion of Prof. Edward T. Owen, a committee of public-spirited citizens constructed a "pleasure . . . — Map (db m41345) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 176 — Maeder Building / Ellsworth Block — 1871
The two-story Maeder building and the three-story Ellsworth block were constructed in 1871 as two distinct commercial buildings. Now considered one property, this block is significant as a representative example of the late 19th century commercial . . . — Map (db m62337) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Mansion Hill Historic District
Known variously as Yankee Hill, Aristocrat Hill and Big Bug Hill, the area north of the Capitol Square near Lake Mendota was selected by Madison's business, political, and academic elites in the 19th century for their homes. Successuful bankers, . . . — Map (db m38708) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Mass Production of Penicillin — College of Agricultural and Life Sciences
During World War II countless lives were saved through the use of the antibiotic penicillin, a natural product of a mold. However, the drug became widely available only after a method was developed to mass-produce it from a selected and genetically . . . — Map (db m32572) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 152 — Mattermore - Malaney House — 1875
This vernacular house is significant as a surviving example from Madison's earliest residential era and as an increasingly rare, intact, gable-front type house with wood clapboard siding. The elements which define this folk form are evident on the . . . — Map (db m54227) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Middleton's Beginning
This immediate area was the site of the first Middleton, settled shortly after Dane County was formed. Early settlers Harry Barnes and his father, Joe, were captains in the Civil War. Harry suggested that the area be called Middletown, after his . . . — Map (db m66113) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 57 — Miller House — Moved 1908
The earliest known Black-owned building remaining in Madison, this unassuming house has been the residence of two generations of the Miller family. From the time of William Miller's arrival here from Kentucky in 1901 members of the Miller family . . . — Map (db m54184) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Mills Brothers Commercial Building
Built in 1904, this Neo-Classical Revival building was constructed for local grocers Albert and Elmer Mills. The wall ad around the corner for Gardner's "Purity Bread" with its butter yellow wrapper dates to the early 50s when the building . . . — Map (db m50551) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 35 — Milwaukee Road Depot — Frost and Granger, Architects — 1903
The Neoclassical Revival style former depot was designed by Frost and Granger of Chicago, regionally prominent designers of train depots. It is locally significant, representing the national dominance of rail for the transport of goods and people. . . . — Map (db m53070) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 119 — Mohr / Christoffer Block — 1873
These two buildings of an original three-building block were designed in the Italianate style, elements of which are visible above the first story. While this block housed a variety of businesses, it is historically significant for its association . . . — Map (db m67033) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 83 — Monona Lake Assembly Normal Hall — D. R. Jones, Architect — 1884
This pavilion was built as a 450-seat lecture hall for the Monona Lake Assembly. Established to provide instruction for Sunday school teachers, it soon became a popular summer camp for tourists from throughout the Midwest. As many as 15,000 came . . . — Map (db m35403) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 21 — Morehouse House — 1937 — G. Fred Keck
An International style structure built for Edward Morehouse, a Public Service Commission official, this residence was designed by Chicago architect George Fred Keck. The style developed in Europe in the 1920's and 1930's and was brought to Chicago . . . — Map (db m41104) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 2 — Mound City — Lake Monona: People
More than a thousand mounds once dotted the shores of Madison's lakes, so many that archaeologist Charles Brown favored the name Mound City for Madison. In the early 1900s, Brown found 160 mounds in 17 groups around Lake Monona. Native people . . . — Map (db m35431) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Nakoma
The Nakoma neighborhood has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior February 26, 1998 —————————— Nakoma Originally . . . — Map (db m59859) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 41 — Nathan Dane
Dane County was created by the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature in 1836. Judge James Doty had convinced the Legislature to select Madison as the Capital and name the surrounding county in honor of Nathan Dane, a compiler of the Ordinance of 1787, . . . — Map (db m37611) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 26 — Nathaniel Dean Farmhouse — 1856
A simple, flat-roofed brick structure with wood cornice and dentilation, this early Blooming Grove farmhouse was built for Nathaniel Dean, Madison dry goods merchant and real estate speculator. Dean, who lived in the house in the 1860's and the . . . — Map (db m32457) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Natural Wonders — Bascom Hill Historic District
Surrounded by the natural beauty of this campus, a student named John Muir developed a love of the outdoors that would touch not only his own life, but those of future generations. Muir left the University of Wisconsin in 1863 and became one of the . . . — Map (db m37696) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 160 — Nelson House — 1881
The Nelson house is a beautiful example of a vernacular gabled-front type from the era of Madison's earliest residential development. The house features a simple faηade of brick, a street-facing gable and regular placement of windows. Ornament is . . . — Map (db m60638) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 110 — Nichols Station — Balch and Lippert, Architects — 1917
Nichols Station is significant for its role in the advancement of water works technology and the public works history of Madison. The design introduced a steam operated pumping system, a turning point in water works technology which replaced the . . . — Map (db m49220) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 202 — North Hall
The first building erected by the University of Wisconsin-Madison was North Hall, opened as North Dormitory for men on September 17, 1851. It was built of Madison sandstone at a cost of $19,000. Initially, the first three floors housed from 50 to 65 . . . — Map (db m31583) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Olbrich Park
These grounds are a testament to the vision and persistence of Michael Olbrich (1881-1929). For years, this attorney and University of Wisconsin regent, worked to raise money to gain title to these properties, which he then sold to the City of . . . — Map (db m36959) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Olbrich's Thai Pavilion and Gardens
Welcome. You are entering a garden of enchantment where powerful symbols, exquisite craftsmanship, and lush foliage combine to bring you closer to the culture of Thailand. Where is Thailand? [World map showing location of . . . — Map (db m36960) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 7 — Old Governor's Mansion — 1855-56
Constructed of locally quarried sandstone and designed in the Italianate style, this house was originally built for Julius T. White, secretary of the Wisconsin Insurance Company. Governor Jeremiah Rusk acquired the house in 1883 and sold it to the . . . — Map (db m32459) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 16 — Old Spring Hotel — 1854
This Greek Revival house, also called Gorham’s Hotel, was a stagecoach stop on the Madison-Monroe Road for travelers to and from the western part of the state. The brick structure was built for Charles E. Morgan, Madison dry goods merchant. James W. . . . — Map (db m33617) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Old Spring Tavern
Stage coach station on road to early lead mines - built 1854 Home of Gorham family 1860-1922 — Map (db m45472) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Olin Terrace
Olin Terrace honors the memory of John Myers Olin (1851-1924). Mr. Olin was a U.W. law professor and the president of, and driving force behind, the original Madison Park and Pleasure Drive Association. He was an energetic fundraiser and for his . . . — Map (db m37038) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — Olin-Turville Park
This park is named in honor of John Olin (1851-1924) for the instrumental role he played in the purchase of this 28-acre site in 1910. An additional 65 acres was donated to the city, in 1980 by the Turville Point Association. Between 1854 and 1910 . . . — Map (db m35404) HM

309 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 109
Paid Advertisement