A distinctive landmark and gathering place used by many early inhabitants of the area for bathing, food preparation, ceremonial and medicinal purposes. It was named “House of the Devil”, by early explorers, for its boiling hot springs, . . . — Map (db m2950) HM
Convict Lake and Creek are so named as the result of an encounter here September 17, 1871, between Robert Morrison, Benton Merchant and member of a posse of citizens, and three convicts who had escaped from the Carson City, Nevada, State . . . — Map (db m19879) HM
Crowley Lake, widely known for its trout fishing, has yielded more than 40 tons of fish the first week of fishing season. It was named for Father Crowley, a beloved Catholic priest. who traveled this area extensively.
The White Mountain Range, . . . — Map (db m72570) HM
Originally hauled by mule teams from Mojave to Mill City in 1878 this Knight Wheel powered Mammoth Mining Company’s 20 stamp mill for processing gold ore until 1895, when it was relocated to Mammoth City.
This high pressure, low volume wheel . . . — Map (db m2186) HM
In 1861 the burned and headless body of Robert Hume, a prospector, was found in a shallow grave not far from this site. Later, the head was located in a nearby stream (now known as Deadman Creek). Hume was last seen alive with his partner, . . . — Map (db m615) HM
Somewhere near this spot is located the famous Lost Cement Mine. First discovered in 1857, the find was described as a ledge, "wide as a curb stone" of rusty, reddish cement, two thirds of it pure gold. Various circumstances prevented the original . . . — Map (db m759) HM
On this site, opposite colorful Mineral Hill (now known as Red Mountain) where the Mammoth mines are located, stood the town of Mammoth City. In this gulch during 1878-79 sprouted a mining camp of perhaps a thousand people. Mammoth City – the . . . — Map (db m50043) HM
This authentic log cabin was handcrafted by Mammoth Lakes pioneer Emmett Hayden from 1927 to 1938. The cabin was one of the first summer home permits issued by the United States Forest Service. Now a historical Museum, the Hayden Cabin is testimony . . . — Map (db m50060) HM
The first permanent rope tow in the Eastern Sierra was built west of this site on the east slope of McGee Mountain. This predecessor of Mammoth Mountain ski area was constructed here in 1938 because of its dependable snow and nearness to a highway. . . . — Map (db m2951) HM
West of this site was the eastern end of the Old French Trail (Fresno Flats Trail)/ Built by J.S. French, it was 54 miles long and a vital east-west route for supplies, mail, equipment and pioneers through the Sierra mountains.
It connected the . . . — Map (db m50056) HM
This historic building was originally built in Old Mammoth as a saloon. In 1914 the building was dismantled and moved to the Longears Ranch on the Owens River and reassembled as a line shack.
The building was discovered empty and in disrepair . . . — Map (db m50059) HM
extended from Bishop south for 100 miles. The valley was inhabited by Indians for many years. Joseph Walker in 1833 was the first white man to discover the valley. In 1845 John C. Fremont named the valley, a river and a lake, after Richard Owens, an . . . — Map (db m50058) HM
Devils Postpile stands not only as an unusual geologic wonder but as a monument to the visionary efforts of a dedicated conservationist. In 1910, under U.S. Forest Service management, engineer Walter L. Huber received an application from mining . . . — Map (db m63616) HM
During the heyday of Lake Mining District (1877-1881) there emerged one premiere drinking establishment – The Temple of Folly. It was the brainchild of Andrew J Murphy, who in October 1879 purchased the clothing store of Reinstien & Wolf, . . . — Map (db m50061) HM
Mammoth’s famous gold mining boom began in 1877 and ended abruptly in 1881 when the Mammoth Mining Company’s property was sold at a sheriff’s sale. Miners have continued to prospect and mine Red Mountain on a small scale to this day. In 1927 the . . . — Map (db m59473) HM
The first resort facility in “New Mammoth” opened in spring 1938 by entrepreneur and pioneer residents – Frank Penny, Jr. and wife (Nora “Bob” Penny). Known as Penney’s Tavern, it would serve as the social center of the . . . — Map (db m50039) HM
On February 19, 1990, a tragedy occurred at this site. Three boys from a local youth camp fell through the ice. Two counselors, David Myers and Randy Porter, U.S. Forest Service employee Clay Cutter, and Long Valley Fire Captain Vidar Anderson . . . — Map (db m2895) HM