Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Manning, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Ambush at Half-Way Swamp Marker image, Touch for more information
By C Summers, June 10, 2011
Ambush at Half-Way Swamp Marker
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Ambush at Half-Way Swamp
On North Brooks Street (US 301 / 521) near West Rigby Street, on the left when traveling north.
During the American Revolution, December 1780, over 750 recently arrived British fusiliers were marching from Nelson’s Ferry on the Santee River. Major McLeroth’s British troops from Moncks Corner joined them as an escort to Camden. General Marion’s . . . — Map (db m24370) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Battle of Wyboo Swamp
On Bozard Street near South Mill Street (South Carolina Highway 260), on the right when traveling east.
During the American Revolution, the Bridges Campaign began March 6, 1781, with the Battle of Wyboo Swamp. Colonel Watson and British troops from Fort Watson were sent to crush General Marion. Marion’s Militia challenged them on the ¼ mile causeway . . . — Map (db m24462) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Citizen Soldier 220 Years Ago(National Guard & Reserves of 1780)
On South Mill Street near Sunset Drive (U.S. 301), on the right when traveling south.
During the American Revolution, the militia like Marion's Brigade was totally dependent on a man with a horse and a gun who tended his farm and responded to Marion's call to arms. Marion rides this horse before battle at Black Mingo. Marion and . . . — Map (db m24092) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — 14-10 — Clarendon County / Manning
On West Boyce Street (State Highway 261) at South Mill Street (State Highway 260), on the left when traveling west on West Boyce Street.
Clarendon County Five SC governors have come from this area, which was part of the Parish of St. Mark (1757) and Camden District (1769) before becoming Clarendon County in 1785. The county was then part of Sumter circuit court district (1799) . . . — Map (db m23494) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Clarendon County Confederate Monument
On West Boyce Street (State Highway 261), on the left when traveling west.
(North face) CSA Erected to the soldiers from Clarendon County Who served in The War for Southern Independence. Charleston - 1861 Appomattox - 1865. (East face) Hope, like the eastern sun, rose bright in . . . — Map (db m23744) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Clarendon County Veterans Memorial(South Carolina)
On West Boyce Street (State Highway 261), on the left when traveling west.
Emblem: American Legion US Coast Guard - US Merchant Marine Dedicated to the Memory of all members of the Armed Services who gtave their lives in service of their county and to all members of the Armed Services who . . . — Map (db m23860) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — 14-18 — Ebenezer Baptist Church
On Dinkins Street near Grace Street, on the right when traveling west.
(Front text) This church was founded about 1869 by Mary Scott “Aunt Mary” Harvin, and held its first services in a nearby brush arbor. In 1881 church trustees purchased a one-half acre lot here from Dr. J.G. Dinkins for . . . — Map (db m51850) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Francis Marion Reflections
On North Mill Street at Rigby Street, on the left when traveling south on North Mill Street.
During the American Revolution, 1780, General Marion and the men of his Brigade pushed back the British forces in the Black and Santee River Basins. It is unlikely that they thought they would be remembered by future generations. It may be that . . . — Map (db m49051) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Fuel 24Rigby Oil Co. Since 1915
On East Rigby Street at North Brooks Street, on the left when traveling west on East Rigby Street.
The photograph above, taken about 1935, depicts the original gasoline station on this site. In 1939, Gulf Oil Corp. replaced it with a “modern” porcelain station, complete with wash and grease bays, and it occupied this corner until it, . . . — Map (db m52265) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — 14-16 — Hanna Levi Memorial Library / Manning Library
On North Brooks Street (U.S. 301/521) near Oak Street, on the left when traveling north.
Hanna Levi Memorial Library The Hannah Levi Memorial Library, built in 1909-1910, grew out of a library fund begun in 1905 by the children of Moses and Hannah Levi, along with proceeds from the sale of Moses Levi Memorial Institute. A . . . — Map (db m24625) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Help for Marion's Militia, 1780-1781
On South Mill Street (State Highway SC260) at W. Hospital Street, on the left when traveling north on South Mill Street.
During the American Revolution, General Marion and his Militia needed help from local farmers for food, horses and medical care for wounds and diseases.

Those shot or sick were left at the mercy of comrades and sympathy of Patriots. Medical care . . . — Map (db m93817) HM

South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Mallett Road
On Greeleyville Highway (U.S. 521) at Mallett Road (State Highway 14-384), on the right when traveling east on Greeleyville Highway.
Named in 1979 in honor of Jesse Lywood Mallett Born 1924 Died 1979 Deputy Sheriff Clarendon County 1975 — 79 Killed in line of duty April 28, 1979 in truck - patrol car accident through no fault of his A dedicated, . . . — Map (db m24851) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Murray's Ferry - Santee River
On 19 North Brooks Street 0.1 miles north of West Boyce Street (South Carolina Highway 261), on the right when traveling south.
Chartered by acts of the General Assembly beginning March 8, 1741 with title vested successively in Joseph Murray • Theodore Gaillard • James Hunter, Trustee • Adam McDonald • Theodore Gourdin and William Staggers. Upon the death of Staggers in . . . — Map (db m81634) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Ox Swamp:The Swamp Fox Earns His Name
On US 301 & US 521, on the left when traveling north.
On the night of November 7, 1780, Lt. Colonel Banastre Tarleton and his Green Dragoons - together with Harrison’s Provincials, a large unit of Tories from the area between the upper Santee and Wateree Rivers - camped at the plantation of the late . . . — Map (db m51985) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — 14-12 — Pleasent Grove School
On US 301 at Joe Marie Road, on the right when traveling south on US 301.
Black institute built soon after school district purchased the land in 1933. School closed in 1953 with 5 teachers/ 159 students. Now a community center. — Map (db m24158) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Pond Bluff to St Stephens
On Brooks St.
After the American Revolution, General Marion’s militiamen re-built his home. Francis Marion, at age 53, married Mary Esther Videau, April 20, 1786. They lived at Pond Bluff, on the south edge of the Santee Swamp and raised pineland cattle. With . . . — Map (db m43156) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Swamp Fox at Ox Swamp
On South Boundary Street near West Boyce Street (South Carolina Highway 261), on the right when traveling north.
During the American Revolution, on Nov. 8, 1780, General Francis Marion and his brigade lured British Colonel Tarleton and his Green Dragoons about 26 miles from Jack's Creek through the swamps to Ox Swamp, less than 1 mile east of here. After . . . — Map (db m24230) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — 11 — The Swamp Fox
On North Brooks Street (U.S. 301/521) near Rigby Street, on the right when traveling south.
During the American Revolution, after the fall of Charleston in 1780, Francis Marion burst forth to lead the Williamsburg militia. He was the senior Regimental Continental Officer not captured or paroled. He recruited patriots, ambushed the British . . . — Map (db m23987) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — 14-17 — Trinity A.M.E. Church
On West Rigby Street near North Mill Street, on the right when traveling west.
This church was founded soon after the Civil War by 50 freedmen and woman who held their first services in a stable donated to them by S.A. Rigby. In 1869 the church trustees bought a half-acre lot for a school, and in 1870 they bought a . . . — Map (db m24626) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Manning — Wyboo Swamp:The Beginning of the Bridges Campaign
On Patriot Road (State Highway 14-410) at Wyboo Road on Patriot Road.
In March 1781, Lord Francis Hastings Rawdon, the British commanding officer in Charleston, designed a two-pronged assault against the forces of General Francis Marion. From Camden, Col. Welbore Ellis Doyle and the Volunteers of Ireland moved east . . . — Map (db m51986) HM

20 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement